Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to see how popular your university is on Wikipedia? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Following up from my previous thread in July about the popularity of British Universities on Wikipedia, I've now updated the positions and the figures for the most recent data. I've included to the left of ranking whether if the university has increased or decreased its position compared to in July.

Major points:
    - 7 place rise of QMUL
    - 5 place fall of Southampton
    - 4 place fall of Leed (but still in the top 10)

Don't see your university on the list? Click this link, and search for your university in the search bar and click 90 days to see how your university compares.

1. Why do you think that these universities are the most popular on Wikipedia?
    2. Are you surprised by any universities placing so high/low in this list?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    My uni is 28th

I can see how ones at the top have so many page views, then I'm not surprised that there's little between the lower ranks

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Sick, love that St Andrews is 8th on this list, really toeing it up there with much much larger schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okorange)
    Sick, love that St Andrews is 8th on this list, really toeing it up there with much much larger schools.
    here's an interesting anomaly

(notes that the OP seems to have preselected unis which were already the top 30 on a league table)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)

(notes that the OP seems to have preselected unis which were already the top 30 on a league table)
    I'm confused as to what the anomaly is? St Andrews University =/= University of St Andrews.

Yeh I did, look at the text from the bottom right -- it's High Fliers' top 30 universities.

ReputationRep:
    All those Oxford students using bots to bump up the page views...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_Richards99)
    I'm confused as to what the anomaly is? St Andrews University =/= University of St Andrews.

Yeh I did, look at the text from the bottom right -- it's High Fliers' top 30 universities.
    in that case clearly Newcastle University isn't University of Newcastle upon Tyne and London School of Economics isn't London School of Economics and Political Science either.

Wrt preselection by league table

Sussex is higher than QUB https://tools.wmflabs.org/pageviews/...sity_of_Sussex
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Journalists using Wikipedia for fact checking:yep:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Have you thought about comparing with google trends?

News search over the last 90 days is interesting too

ReputationRep:
    in that case clearly Newcastle University isn't University of Newcastle upon Tyne and London School of Economics isn't London School of Economics and Political Science either.

Wrt preselection by league table

Sussex is higher than QUB https://tools.wmflabs.org/pageviews/...sity_of_Sussex
    Not comparable, I chose those names because that's what the name of their wikipedia page is. If you typed in "London School of Economics and Political Science", it would redirect you to "London School of Economics". Same case with Newcastle.

Yeh I know that there would have been some higher viewed pages that were not in the top 30, but if i changed it - it would have made the previous results in July incomparable. Nevertheless, I think the majority of the most viewed universities are in the High Fliers top 30 (with the exception of a few).

ReputationRep:

https://tools.wmflabs.org/pageviews/..._of_St_Andrews

Fixed for you

ReputationRep:
    Following up from my previous thread in July about the popularity of British Universities on Wikipedia, I've now updated the positions and the figures for the most recent data. I've included to the left of ranking whether if the university has increased or decreased its position compared to in July.

Major points:
    - 7 place rise of QMUL
    - 5 place fall of Southampton
    - 4 place fall of Leed (but still in the top 10)

Don't see your university on the list? Click this link, and search for your university in the search bar and click 90 days to see how your university compares.

2. Are you surprised by any universities placing so high/low in this list?
    Should really divide the page views by the size of each unis student body to get a more accurate picture of how well known each uni is

ReputationRep:
    UCL is 3rd !!!
    I knew it !!!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    All those Oxford students using bots to bump up the page views...
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Ayyy my uni is top 5. But will it get me a job tho?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha big question asked... The main point is how successful students these universities deliver to the country. Basically students should be well trained and skilled to go for entrepreneurship kind of challenge when they leave such a highly regarded and prestigious universities of world in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    Should really divide the page views by the size of each unis student body to get a more accurate picture of how well known each uni is
    Hmmm I get what you're getting at, but that would assume that it's mostly students who look at their own university's wikipedia page

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I get what you're getting at, but that would assume that it's mostly students who look at their own university's wikipedia page
    No, that's not it.

You need to divide it by the number of students at the uni, because assuming ceteris paribus a uni with 40,000 students is of course going to have more than applicants than a uni with 20,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    No, that's not it.

You need to divide it by the number of students at the uni, because assuming ceteris paribus a uni with 40,000 students is of course going to have more than applicants than a uni with 20,000.
    So you want me to work out number of page views/number of students?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.