Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do catholic schools make us wear black shorts under our uniform skirts? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I go to a catholic school since I was 5 and have to wear a uniform which has been a jumper when I was a Junior and now a skirt as a senior but the whole way through all of us girls have always had to wear black shorts under our jumpers and skirts and I never really understood why.

ReputationRep:
    for when the wind blows

ReputationRep:
    Neither of my catholic schools insisted we wear shorts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staceylee1245)
    I go to a catholic school since I was 5 and have to wear a uniform which has been a jumper when I was a Junior and now a skirt as a senior but the whole way through all of us girls have always had to wear black shorts under our jumpers and skirts and I never really understood why.
    shorts under the jumper seems harsh

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how short the skirts are. If they are an average school skirt then I don't understand the requirement of wearing shorts but no one would see the shorts (including the teachers).

ReputationRep:
    That's weird. My girlfriend went to a faith school (Jewish, not Catholic) where they had to wear skirts. Not only was there no rule making them wear shorts underneath but the reverse, they weren't allowed to wear them even if they wanted to. Why would a school make girls wear skirts then go the opposite way with their underwear?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    It depends on how short the skirts are. If they are an average school skirt then I don't understand the requirement of wearing shorts but no one would see the shorts (including the teachers).
    God can see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    God can see.
    :lol::lol::lol:

ReputationRep:
    Probably for modisty and stop any chance of other people getting an upskirt view to see your panties, something else could be that it is to de-sexualise everything. I think that it is a bit strange though as to the point of wearing shorts under skirts etc any way

ReputationRep:
    Do they check?

ReputationRep:
    Its just a uniform I guess. Its like saying why do i have to wear trousers.

ReputationRep:
    it may be similar to the Mormons' special garments:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_garment

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.