Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polysexual Nymph)
    The issue is that there 290 Parliamentary seats, but only 200 moderate candidates were approved by the Guardian Council (the body that vets the candidates) to run. And given that there are an average of 15 candidates vying for each seat, your example proves truer than you think.

If you won't say it, I will: I hope the fascist son of a ***** dies a slow and painful death. He has destroyed a beautiful civilisation and set it back decades.
    Haha preach

Iran has one of the highest rates of internet penetration in the region, and most Iranians watch foreign TV and have FB. I can't say for sure, but I feel pretty confident in saying that although State TV controls the narratives, the population are proving ever more resilient to their propaganda.
    I think the amount of young people have a lot to do with. Young people + Internet = pretty good things (although pretty bad things as well)

And yes, that is Conservative controlled - PressTV, for example merely peddles the establishment (SL/hardliner) line. There are major reformist papers, but their journalists do not operate under good conditions (frequently arrested to put pressure on them etc), and many reformist papers get shut down for no reason.

Rouhani doesn't seek a revolution, he's very much an establishment man. At the same time, he lived through the Iran-Iraq war, so he knows better than most what isolation is like, and that's why he's been fighting so hard within Iran to end its isolation.
    I was thinking more in the lines of bloodless coup this time around, but I understand, I hugely respect Rouhani's attempt to end their isolation despite the regime's propaganda. Although the propaganda goes both ways, there is huge propaganda in the west because the Saudis (and co) don't want Iran to gain power.

The Iranian people are not stupid, though. They know the regime don't represent them and are fanatical tyrants. The way I see it, the regime has two options: (i) compromise and accept gradual reforms, or (ii) give rise to another revolution (that latest attempt was in 2009, which was brutally dealt with by the regime, and ignored by the world). I lean toward the former; I think Iranians know better than most the cost of revolutions, the latter is to preferred at all costs.
    Yes, there is a lot of people who try to point to regime's actions and say the people are just as radical as the regime, but I only found evidence that points to the contrary. I agree, I think gradual reform is better in this case... I just worry that USA/Israel/Saudi coalition would invade Iran and stop this "reform" because, as much as they hate each other, their interests and the interests of the current regime would align.

What do you think about Iran's prospect of nuclear energy (I stress not nuclear weapons as the media proscribe at). IIRC the US helped the Shah with plans for nuclear power stations, but they stopped after the revolution. I understand Rouhani is planning to use nuclear/renewables to generate electricity so they can sell their oil to market instead of using it? or is that hogwash?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.