Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many migrants/refugees are Egypt and Algeria taking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know please. Why has this not been mentioned by the media?

a) They are both vast countries with tons of space.

b) They are Muslim countries where other Muslim migrants will culturally assimilate much better than in the gender-egalitarian culture and Christian based ethical laws of European countries.

ReputationRep:
    I want to know why Saudi isn't taking any of them in.

It's a rich country and it's Muslim too.

ReputationRep:
    Are you seeing the state of Egypt right now? It's still pretty much corrupt.

ReputationRep:
    If those countries took in any migrants, it would defeat the purpose of the entire migration in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    If those countries took in any migrants, it would defeat the purpose of the entire migration in the first place.
    Egypt, perhaps. Algeria, not so much an issue.

ReputationRep:
    Saudi treat non-Saudi/Qatari/UEA/rich Muslims even worse than most other countries. There are many slaves there from Philippines etc. If you're not balling you'd have to be insane to live there over civilised countries like UK and Germany.

As for Libya, that country is a crap hole full of ISIS.

ReputationRep:
    You could try googling the numbers ....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refuge...rian_Civil_War

ReputationRep:
    There was an interesting interview with the Jordanian king on the BBC a couple of weeks ago responding to criticism of their slow admissions process from camps on the border(due to security vetting as the refugees are from IS held areas).

After hearing the numbers of people they have accepted and the fact that 25% of Jordan's budget is being spent on helping refugees I completely agree with his dismissal of the critics.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps because Egyptians and Algerians were not the colonisers who carved their homelands into artificial nation-states? Perhaps they relate to Britain and France more, considering the fact that they were once masters over their lands? Perhaps they might be thinking that these nations are very much willing to take them in just as they were willing to spread their civilisation (civilised world ideas) throughout the globe? I dunno, but these migrants seem to have a rather Paradise-like view of Western Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Saudi Arabia have taken a total of

Spoiler:
    Show
    zero

refugees since the crisis began 5 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Are you seeing the state of Egypt right now? It's still pretty much corrupt.
    Most countries are corrupt. All Muslim countries will be corrupt. We know Egypt is no human rights heaven, especially for women, but that is in line with Sharia. Human rights mean nothing in comparison to the will of Allah as expressed in the Quran and it's Sharia. Logic says that Muslims should want to go to other Muslim countries. It's better for everyone because there is no clash of cultures and the ensuing problems that manifest because of this clash. Egypt and Algeria should be reaching out to it's Muslim brothers and sisters, but they don't appear to give too hoots. It seems the migrants would rather head for countries with Western freedoms, human rights, and social welfare aid. There they will take advantage of the governmental infrastructure of the host country but will they wish to embrace it's cultural mores? History tells us no they won't and thus we have the fragmented abrasive tensions of what they call a 'multi-cultural' society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sciatic)
    Perhaps because Egyptians and Algerians were not the colonisers who carved their homelands into artificial nation-states? Perhaps they relate to Britain and France more, considering the fact that they were once masters over their lands? Perhaps they might be thinking that these nations are very much willing to take them in just as they were willing to spread their civilisation (civilised world ideas) throughout the globe? I dunno, but these migrants seem to have a rather Paradise-like view of Western Europe.
    I don't buy the ex colonial argument at all. It's usual employed as an argument against the West. If it were true then surely they would stay in Turkey, head of the Ottoman Empire. Lets not forget The unwelcome Islamic Conquests that took control of the Mediterranean and seized with force Christian North Africa and up into Spain and France. It's not only the West who imposed it's ways on other cultures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)

It's Algeria and Egypt that are strangely not mentioned. Saudi is a very odd country and very out of step with the rest of the world. I'm not surprised they don't take refugees because the whole country is a contradiction, starting at the top with it's so-called royal family. It's corrupt, it's barbaric but it has oil wealth leverage. It stinks that the US and the UK don't boycott it and have nothing at all to do with - but we prostitute ourselves by trading with it for oil. Disgraceful. The irony of Saudi Arabia is that it has so much money yet gives so very little to help others.

ReputationRep:
    Egypt has taken nearly 120,000. That's not as much as Jordan, Turkey or Germany but considerably more than most countries.

I strongly disagree that Western culture is Christian based. Most of Europe has very successfully separated Church and State.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco1)
    It's Algeria and Egypt that are strangely not mentioned. Saudi is a very odd country and very out of step with the rest of the world. I'm not surprised they don't take refugees because the whole country is a contradiction, starting at the top with it's so-called royal family. It's corrupt, it's barbaric but it has oil wealth leverage. It stinks that the US and the UK don't boycott it and have nothing at all to do with - but we prostitute ourselves by trading with it for oil. Disgraceful. The irony of Saudi Arabia is that it has so much money yet gives so very little to help others.
    We're slaves to Saudi Arabia. It's not even that different to ISIS and our leaders call the country an ally. There was a BBC documentary a while back on how IS get their funding and they managed to capture a militant who tried to escape. He was saying most of the funding comes from tax evasions,donations and buys from mainly Saudi Arabia.

Massive respect to Jordan and Lebanon for taking refugees in. But for Saudi? Not a very Muslim thing to do (since they're so hellbent on only allowing Islam in that country) if you're not going to help others in need.

ReputationRep:
    Because unless they're taking a pretty massive detour; Saudi won't be the first safe country they come to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Because unless they're taking a pretty massive detour; Saudi won't be the first safe country they come to.
    Saudi is much closer to Syria/Iraq than Germany isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Edit: I take it back, having refreshed my geography knowledge it looks like Saudi may indeed be a closer country for some parts of Iraq.

ReputationRep:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anhvin...b_8175924.html
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/refugee-cri...yrians-1519532
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/0...050746572.html
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...and-misleading
    http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News...-conflict.html

ReputationRep:
    We're slaves to Saudi Arabia. It's not even that different to ISIS and our leaders call the country an ally. There was a BBC documentary a while back on how IS get their funding and they managed to capture a militant who tried to escape. He was saying most of the funding comes from tax evasions,donations and buys from mainly Saudi Arabia.

Massive respect to Jordan and Lebanon for taking refugees in. But for Saudi? Not a very Muslim thing to do (since they're so hellbent on only allowing Islam in that country) if you're not going to help others in need.
    The Saudis are the biggest hypocrites out there, they preach about religious piety while leading decadent lifestyles and were happy to ally with the British against their fellow Muslims in order to gain control of the country in the first place. The strict religous laws are merely a tool that the royal family uses to keep control and maintain said lifestyle. The sooner we develop alternative energy sources and stop having to fund those fuc*kers the better.

Just my 2 cents.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.