Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to make a choice between Sheffield and Swansea for my firm choice but i'm confused on which one to go for.

Thanks for any opinion.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by 09josejoel)
    I want to make a choice between Sheffield and Swansea for my firm choice but i'm confused on which one to go for.

Thanks for any opinion.
    Hello, Thank you for your message and for expressing an interest in Swansea University. Which course have you applied to study? Do you have any questions which you would like me to help with?

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Chemical engineering at Swansea and I'm really regreting coming here. I feel like I made a massive mistake and to call my time at Swansea university dissapointing would be a huge understatement. The staff are staggeringly incompetant and rude and only about half of the lecturers even attempt to do a good job, usually treating the students with disdain and acting as if they are doing you a favour by even lecturing. I've been here for two years now and if I could go back in time I would never have come here.

I have a friend currently studying a masters at Sheffield and after a recent visit there I can honestly say I wish I had gone there instead. If you have the grades to get into Sheffield then I would strongly advise you to forget Swansea and don't make the same mistake as me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Decode2583)
    I'm studying Chemical engineering at Swansea and I'm really regreting coming here. I feel like I made a massive mistake and to call my time at Swansea university dissapointing would be a huge understatement. The staff are staggeringly incompetant and rude and only about half of the lecturers even attempt to do a good job, usually treating the students with disdain and acting as if they are doing you a favour by even lecturing. I've been here for two years now and if I could go back in time I would never have come here.

I have a friend currently studying a masters at Sheffield and after a recent visit there I can honestly say I wish I had gone there instead. If you have the grades to get into Sheffield then I would strongly advise you to forget Swansea and don't make the same mistake as me.
    Hi Decode2583, I’m sorry to hear you have had a negative experience while studying at Swansea University. The majority of our students really enjoy their time here and we do value all feedback, whether that be positive or negative. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please email Ruth Bunting in the College of Engineering who will respond to you as soon as possible. Her email address is [email protected] let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield's ChemEng department is a bit more established and they have a pilot plant which as far as I know Swansea doesn't

ReputationRep:
    'The majority of our students really enjoy their time here' what are you basing this claim on? The 15 -20% of people who even bother to give you feedback? If you say students are so happy why are you offering £5 vouchers just to try get them to even give feedback?

If you care about student feedback why is it you never act on the module feedback you recieve? Can you give me even one example when you have acted on negative student feedback in any meaningful way?

ReputationRep:
    'The majority of our students really enjoy their time here' what are you basing this claim on? The 15 -20% of people who even bother to give you feedback? If you say students are so happy why are you offering £5 vouchers just to try get them to even give feedback?

If you care about student feedback why is it you never act on the module feedback you recieve? Can you give me even one example when you have acted on negative student feedback in any meaningful way?
    Hi Decode2583,
    As mentioned in my previous post, I would definitely recommend contacting Ruth Bunting ([email protected]). She is the Head of Academic Support Services and Student Experience in the College of Engineering here at Swansea University and she will be able to answer any of your specific concerns regarding student feedback.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swansea University)
    Hi Decode2583,
    As mentioned in my previous post, I would definitely recommend contacting Ruth Bunting ([email protected]). She is the Head of Academic Support Services and Student Experience in the College of Engineering here at Swansea University and she will be able to answer any of your specific concerns regarding student feedback.
    I'm not here to argue with you, I'm just trying to enlighten any potential students as to my own negative experiences studying at Swansea University. The fact remains that you have a history of not addressing students concerns and not acting on negative feedback.

For example:
    http://waterfrontonline.co.uk/news/s...ement-building

ReputationRep:
    Anyone thinking about coming to Swansea might whant to check out this link as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/global/20...-investigation
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by 09josejoel)

Thanks for any opinion.
    swanseajack1 might be able to help.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Anyone thinking about coming to Swansea might whant to check out this link as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/global/20...-investigation
    From that 2010 article:
    "Swansea said its investigation found the anonymous allegation was unfounded."

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    From that 2010 article:
    "Swansea said its investigation found the anonymous allegation was unfounded."

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would think most organisations would deny their involvement in anything like that...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    I would think most organisations would deny their involvement in anything like that...
    Some of the others admitted it.

But yeah I agree (it's old news anyway)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.