Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cats and long car journey watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Next week I'll be driving my friend's 2 cats from Scotland to Manchester. Her mum was watching the cats for her while she got her new house done up and now that it is finished, she wants her cats back and she doesn't feel comfortable using a courier service to bring them down to England and she said I am the only one she trusts with her cats so I agreed to drive them down and stay with her for a few days. I have cats myself and they can't bear to be in the car for 10 mins let alone 4 hours so I'm just looking for some tips on how I can make the car ride as easy as possible for her cats. They will be in their pet carriers for the journey. My bf is driving, would it be best if I sat in the back with them do you think?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I would suggest a blanket over the cadges so it is dark as the dark will make them relax. also it might help if you stopped to give them some water at some point. though if i remember correctly you can get water bottles like the ones you get for rodents for cats.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions

Feeling a bit nervous about the journey as I know cats hate car rides and it'll break my heart hearing them crying and meowing for hours but I know its all for a good reason, to be reunited with their owner again, so I just need to focus on that instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Thanks for the suggestions

Feeling a bit nervous about the journey as I know cats hate car rides and it'll break my heart hearing them crying and meowing for hours but I know its all for a good reason, to be reunited with their owner again, so I just need to focus on that instead.
    How long do you have before your journey?

I took my cat on a 16 hour car ride a few months ago and he really surprised me. The first hour was constant meowing then he lay down and went to sleep. He woke up a few times and meowed a little but then went back to sleep. The way back was even better.

I agree with the other poster about covering the cage - cats can get car sick and being in the dark should help with that as well as encouraging them to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    How long do you have before your journey?

I took my cat on a 16 hour car ride a few months ago and he really surprised me. The first hour was constant meowing then he lay down and went to sleep. He woke up a few times and meowed a little but then went back to sleep. The way back was even better.

I agree with the other poster about covering the cage - cats can get car sick and being in the dark should help with that as well as encouraging them to sleep.
    The journey will be this Friday, so just a few days away. I'm surprised how well your cat took that length of a journey! I wouldn't even be able to stay in a car for that long :lol:

ReputationRep:
    The journey will be this Friday, so just a few days away. I'm surprised how well your cat took that length of a journey! I wouldn't even be able to stay in a car for that long :lol:
    Yeah he really surprised me. I had a pack of ibuprofen in the car with me for headaches caused by persistent meowing but didn't need it.

I don't know how much this will help you; it might be a little late. If your cats don't like their carriers then you need to warm them up to them. For instance my cat wouldn't go near his carrier as the only time he went in it was to go to the vet. I started by feeding him like 2 feet away, then moved the bowl closer and closer until it was inside. Another thing to get them used to the car is first off just sit in the car with them in their carriers, without moving. Then lots and lots of praise and rewards. Then try turning the engine on and again lots of praise. Just build it up and hopefully that will break the association with the vets that they might have.

This didn't work for my cat but you can get spray bottles of cat pheromones which apparently helps them relax. Also you can get special "calming" treats but a lot of cats won't eat under stress so they may not work for you.

What time are you leaving? If it's early in the morning, I would feed the cats in the early evening before so they have time to digest the food and poop. Don't feed them the morning you leave. They're not gonna die going several hours without food. I had a small box in my car that I filled with litter and put my cat in it (inside the car!) when I stopped for gas. He didn't go despite my encouragements. When I arrived where I was going I immediately put down his litter box and he went straight away - he was such a good cat not peeing on the journey. This was 16 hours so yours should be fine with 4.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Yeah he really surprised me. I had a pack of ibuprofen in the car with me for headaches caused by persistent meowing but didn't need it.

I don't know how much this will help you; it might be a little late. If your cats don't like their carriers then you need to warm them up to them. For instance my cat wouldn't go near his carrier as the only time he went in it was to go to the vet. I started by feeding him like 2 feet away, then moved the bowl closer and closer until it was inside. Another thing to get them used to the car is first off just sit in the car with them in their carriers, without moving. Then lots and lots of praise and rewards. Then try turning the engine on and again lots of praise. Just build it up and hopefully that will break the association with the vets that they might have.

This didn't work for my cat but you can get spray bottles of cat pheromones which apparently helps them relax. Also you can get special "calming" treats but a lot of cats won't eat under stress so they may not work for you.

What time are you leaving? If it's early in the morning, I would feed the cats in the early evening before so they have time to digest the food and poop. Don't feed them the morning you leave. They're not gonna die going several hours without food. I had a small box in my car that I filled with litter and put my cat in it (inside the car!) when I stopped for gas. He didn't go despite my encouragements. When I arrived where I was going I immediately put down his litter box and he went straight away - he was such a good cat not peeing on the journey. This was 16 hours so yours should be fine with 4.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
    I'll be leaving my house at around 11am and getting to my friend's mum's house to pick up my friend's cats from there at around half 12, as its my friend's cats that will I'll be taking in the car and not my own kitties. So I don't know when they will be fed but I am hoping they wont be too many pee or poop accidents on the way down to Manchester. The smell of cat pee is the last thing I want in my car, that smell lingers on forever! I did ask my friend's mum if she thought sedatives or something calming from the vet would be good as the cats aren't known to like car rides but she said no and tbh, I think she is just being difficult.

Thanks I am a bit nervous about the journey tbh, not just with the cats but in general. Ya know me with panic attacks and the big motorways in England kinda scare me. Motorways + cats crying and meowing = a very probably highly nerve wracking day for me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    All cats are different so it's hard to say. One of my cats needs covering up or he gets wound up because he can see us but can't get out, whereas the other seems to calm down if she can see us and we talk to her. I think most will be fine without being covered up while in the car, there's nothing scary in there.
    They both seem to like a bit of music, nothing loud or lairy of course, just at a level at which we can talk over it without raising our voices.

Oh, and put bin liners down in case they wee, cat pee and car seats aren't a good mix :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone feeling a bit less anxious about the journey now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can get sleeping drugs from vets I think.

ReputationRep:
    I made the journey yesterday and it took 5 and a half hours instead of the planned 3 and a half. From the start, one cat cried constantly for the first half hour and then settled and only cried every so often after that and one cat didn't make a peep for the entire journey. They are settled in quite well at my friend's house considering they have only been here for a day so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I made the journey yesterday and it took 5 and a half hours instead of the planned 3 and a half. From the start, one cat cried constantly for the first half hour and then settled and only cried every so often after that and one cat didn't make a peep for the entire journey. They are settled in quite well at my friend's house considering they have only been here for a day so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good to hear Tried to rep for the update but PRSOM lol.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.