Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone, I still have one year to study at high school but I had a look on the UCAS website. I want to do a business and mandarin degree course, or mandarin with something about economy.
    Do you know a good university to apply at?
    I'd like to stay in a city, not expensive, with great nightlife and activities to do in the day, many green areas and friendly people.
    what about these uni:birmingham, Leeds,manchester, Sheffield, lancashire,newcaste, edinburgh,hertfordshire, Nottingham, Essex.
    I can apply 5 uni, I'm an international students so.. don't know anything.

many thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martinaxx)
    hi everyone, I still have one year to study at high school but I had a look on the UCAS website. I want to do a business and mandarin degree course, or mandarin with something about economy.
    Do you know a good university to apply at?
    I'd like to stay in a city, not expensive, with great nightlife and activities to do in the day, many green areas and friendly people.
    what about these uni:birmingham, Leeds,manchester, Sheffield, lancashire,newcaste, edinburgh,hertfordshire, Nottingham, Essex.
    I can apply 5 uni, I'm an international students so.. don't know anything.

many thanks guys
    I study Chinese at Sheffield, so if you have any questions, let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    I study Chinese at Sheffield, so if you have any questions, let me know
    yes please what about the teaching? the place( day and night life at campus and out)? are the people friendly and sociable (STUDENT UNION AND GROUPS)? does the school help you with living cost ( grants) ? is better to live in a campus or off campus?
    would you make the same choice about the course and the uni?
    I'm so sorry about all these questions but on the website they show us only the best things ahaha
    is difficlut to be admitted ? I'm worried about this thing..
    many thanks

ReputationRep:
    yes please what about the teaching? the place( day and night life at campus and out)? are the people friendly and sociable (STUDENT UNION AND GROUPS)? does the school help you with living cost ( grants) ? is better to live in a campus or off campus?
    would you make the same choice about the course and the uni?
    I'm so sorry about all these questions but on the website they show us only the best things ahaha
    is difficlut to be admitted ? I'm worried about this thing..
    many thanks
    Personally, I find the teaching in the School of East Asian Studies (the department you'll be in, commonly called SEAS) is amazing. The language side of the course is definitely intense, but it's so worth it. The teachers are all very professional and know what they're talking about but they're all super approachable if you have any problems. Sheffield does their year abroad in 2nd year and all Chinese Studies students spend the academic year at Nanjing University, which is one of the top universities in China! You're expected to get to a very high level of Chinese very quickly, e.g. you're expected to be HSK3 by the end of 1st year, HSK5 by the end of 2nd year and HSK6 by the end of your degree. Compare this to students from other top British Universities such as Manchester and Southampton, who were struggling to get HSK4 at the end of their 3rd year. Having a language degree from Sheffield will hold you in good stead, especially if you combine it with business studies.

Sheffield is not a campus uni, so on campus accommodation does not exist. There is university owned accommodation at Endcliffe and Ranmoor Villages and Allen Court. Allen Court is very central and close to university although it has a strong reputation of being socially dead due to the large number of international students who don't go out much. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are a bit further from uni but are easily accessible by public transport and both have a much more social atmosphere, so I'd recommend either of them. I lived in Endcliffe Village in my first year and absolutely loved it!

Sheffield has over 300 clubs and societies, ranging from a wide range of national societies (including Chinese and Taiwanese societies, perfect for meeting native speakers to practise with) to sports and performing societies to political and activist societies, so you're bound to find something you love. Societies are also an amazing opportunity to make even more friends outside your accommodation and course.

Sheffield has an amazing student's union. It's actually been voted the best student's union in the country for the past 7 years, and rightly so in my opinion. Not just because of the societies, but for a whole host of other reasons as well. The university is very international, yet I've never felt any nasty racial tension between groups. It's also very LGBT+ friendly and has a regular gay club night called Climax every month. We're also very close to Manchester which is world famous for is gay scene. The university as a whole and SEAS as a department are very supportive of students. The university has a very good, professional counselling service and offers meet and greet services for non home students. Every student is allocated a personal tutor at the start of their first year in Sheffield and they're there for any advice on studying at Sheffield to post graduate plans.

Nightlife here is amazing! The student union has club nights on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays and they're all amazing with really good deals on drinks. Town centre also has a wide variety of bars and clubs. Some popular ones include Soyo, Vodka Revs, Tiger Works, West Street Live, Code, Tank, Crystal, Viper Rooms and Paris.

During the day there's plenty to do as well. There's a pedestrian shopping street in city centre called Fargate, where you can find all your popular high street brands. The Peace Gardens nearby are a popular place to hang out when the weather's nice too. In Sheffield you can also find Ponds Forge, which is a massive swimming pool, ice skating rinks, crazy golf courses as well as Meadowhall, which is one of the biggest shopping centres in the country!

Difficulty in getting admitted really depends on the department, but SEAS tends to be quite lenient, especially for Chinese studies, as every year only very few students apply.

I've absolutely loved my time at Sheffield and wouldn't change it for the world. I'm sad I'm graduating this summer and if I could do my undergrad time all over again, I'd do it in a heartbeat

ReputationRep:
    wow!! I'd like to say the same about my studies in Italy.. I hate my school.. you've been very nice !! I hope to have a chance to study there !!
    again thank you !![
    QUOTE=super_kawaii;63098859]Personally, I find the teaching in the School of East Asian Studies (the department you'll be in, commonly called SEAS) is amazing. The language side of the course is definitely intense, but it's so worth it. The teachers are all very professional and know what they're talking about but they're all super approachable if you have any problems. Sheffield does their year abroad in 2nd year and all Chinese Studies students spend the academic year at Nanjing University, which is one of the top universities in China! You're expected to get to a very high level of Chinese very quickly, e.g. you're expected to be HSK3 by the end of 1st year, HSK5 by the end of 2nd year and HSK6 by the end of your degree. Compare this to students from other top British Universities such as Manchester and Southampton, who were struggling to get HSK4 at the end of their 3rd year. Having a language degree from Sheffield will hold you in good stead, especially if you combine it with business studies.

Sheffield is not a campus uni, so on campus accommodation does not exist. There is university owned accommodation at Endcliffe and Ranmoor Villages and Allen Court. Allen Court is very central and close to university although it has a strong reputation of being socially dead due to the large number of international students who don't go out much. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are a bit further from uni but are easily accessible by public transport and both have a much more social atmosphere, so I'd recommend either of them. I lived in Endcliffe Village in my first year and absolutely loved it!

Sheffield has over 300 clubs and societies, ranging from a wide range of national societies (including Chinese and Taiwanese societies, perfect for meeting native speakers to practise with) to sports and performing societies to political and activist societies, so you're bound to find something you love. Societies are also an amazing opportunity to make even more friends outside your accommodation and course.

Sheffield has an amazing student's union. It's actually been voted the best student's union in the country for the past 7 years, and rightly so in my opinion. Not just because of the societies, but for a whole host of other reasons as well. The university is very international, yet I've never felt any nasty racial tension between groups. It's also very LGBT+ friendly and has a regular gay club night called Climax every month. We're also very close to Manchester which is world famous for is gay scene. The university as a whole and SEAS as a department are very supportive of students. The university has a very good, professional counselling service and offers meet and greet services for non home students. Every student is allocated a personal tutor at the start of their first year in Sheffield and they're there for any advice on studying at Sheffield to post graduate plans.

Nightlife here is amazing! The student union has club nights on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays and they're all amazing with really good deals on drinks. Town centre also has a wide variety of bars and clubs. Some popular ones include Soyo, Vodka Revs, Tiger Works, West Street Live, Code, Tank, Crystal, Viper Rooms and Paris.

During the day there's plenty to do as well. There's a pedestrian shopping street in city centre called Fargate, where you can find all your popular high street brands. The Peace Gardens nearby are a popular place to hang out when the weather's nice too. In Sheffield you can also find Ponds Forge, which is a massive swimming pool, ice skating rinks, crazy golf courses as well as Meadowhall, which is one of the biggest shopping centres in the country!

Difficulty in getting admitted really depends on the department, but SEAS tends to be quite lenient, especially for Chinese studies, as every year only very few students apply.

I've absolutely loved my time at Sheffield and wouldn't change it for the world. I'm sad I'm graduating this summer and if I could do my undergrad time all over again, I'd do it in a heartbeat[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    wow!! I'd like to say the same about my studies in Italy.. I hate my school.. you've been very nice !! I hope to have a chance to study there !!
    again thank you !!
    Don't worry about it, Sheffield really is an amazing place to study in.

Also, as you're from Italy, you will be considered an EU Student, not an international student, which means you'll be charged £9000 a year for tuition fees, instead of the £17,250 a year international students have to pay. You will be able to apply to student finance for a tuition fee loan which will cover the £9000 you owe to the university. However, as an EU citizen, you are ineligible for a maintenance loan, so will have to pay for accommodation and other living expenses out of your own pocket.

Sheffield does offer a degree in Chinese Studies and Business Management which you might be interested in. Here's the link to it

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospect...do?id=TN122017

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.