Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone, I still have one year to study at high school but I had a look on the UCAS website. I want to do a business and mandarin degree course, or mandarin with something about economy.
    Do you know a good university to apply at?
    I'd like to stay in a city, not expensive, with great nightlife and activities to do in the day, many green areas and friendly people.
    what about these uni:birmingham, Leeds,manchester, Sheffield, lancashire,newcaste, edinburgh,hertfordshire, Nottingham, Essex.
    I can apply 5 uni, I'm an international students so.. don't know anything.

many thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martinaxx)
    hi everyone, I still have one year to study at high school but I had a look on the UCAS website. I want to do a business and mandarin degree course, or mandarin with something about economy.
    Do you know a good university to apply at?
    I'd like to stay in a city, not expensive, with great nightlife and activities to do in the day, many green areas and friendly people.
    what about these uni:birmingham, Leeds,manchester, Sheffield, lancashire,newcaste, edinburgh,hertfordshire, Nottingham, Essex.
    I can apply 5 uni, I'm an international students so.. don't know anything.

many thanks guys
    Hi there,

I currently study at the University of Essex and I'm in my second year. Although I study drama, I can still help you with the majority of your questions!

Business subjects have quite a high reputation at the University and as recently moved into a brand new building. The Essex Business school building has a large lecture theatre, 2 smaller lecture theatres, its own trading floor which uses real life Bloomberg data among many other seminar rooms and study spaces. The building is also the first zero carbon business school in the UK and it looks amazing! I'm actually kind of jealous that I don't use the building in my studies!

I don't know much about the modern foreign languages department at the University but we do have a programme called "languages for all" which encourages students to learn a language. It's free for the first year and you can either do a course online or in person at seminars. The languages that are currently available are Arabic, French, German, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Spanish. This would be good if you want to pick up another language. On the other hand, if you did decide to stick to business, you can easily study Mandarin Chinese alongside your studies.

Although Colchester isn't technically a city, there's still loads to do! There's loads of bars, nightclubs, restaurants, theatres, shops and attractions to keep you busy! London is also less than an hour away by train and there's even more stuff to do there!

Nightlife at the University is also pretty great with several bars and even a nightclub on campus. Sub Zero (the nightclub) organises events most days of the week and in the past it has seen acts such as DJ fresh, Lethal Bizzle, Wretch 32 and Sigma play live.

During the day there's lots going on as well! For example every Thursday we have our own market on campus, where local businesses sell their goods to students. There's stalls stocking everything from fresh fruit and vegetables, baked items, sweets, vintage clothing and everything in between!

There's also bundles of societies and sports teams that you can join with everything from Cheese and Wine to Theatre Arts to Cheerleading to Ultimate Frisbee. There's something for everyone!

There's also loads of nightlife in Colchester town itself. In particular, Twisters bar is a cool, quirkybar which offers cocktails from teapots and a chance to gamble the price ofyour drink (it’s called toss the boss). Clubs in the town such as Liquid andMissoula often play a range of music with student drink deals every Thursday.

There's loads of green spaces at the Colchester campus. In particular, there's a woodland area on campus with 2 small lakes. This is the perfect area to chill out in the Summer with designated BBQ areas available for students to use.

The people are generally really friendly and helpful. The Student's Union in particular does it's very hardest in providing answers to student questions and will always endeavour to make students happy!

Also, take a look at the IAMESSEX blog. There's loads of articles on there about life at the University of Essex and university life in general!

I really hope that's helped and if you have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to help ^Perry

ReputationRep:
    definitely you helped me a lot !! can I ask you the last thing? does the uni help you with living costs ? I'm an international student so I have to live there and it's quite expensive.. rent,food,social life and so on.. and my family can't help me a lot..
    (Original post by Perry.J)
    Hi there,

I currently study at the University of Essex and I'm in my second year. Although I study drama, I can still help you with the majority of your questions!

Business subjects have quite a high reputation at the University and as recently moved into a brand new building. The Essex Business school building has a large lecture theatre, 2 smaller lecture theatres, its own trading floor which uses real life Bloomberg data among many other seminar rooms and study spaces. The building is also the first zero carbon business school in the UK and it looks amazing! I'm actually kind of jealous that I don't use the building in my studies!

I don't know much about the modern foreign languages department at the University but we do have a programme called "languages for all" which encourages students to learn a language. It's free for the first year and you can either do a course online or in person at seminars. The languages that are currently available are Arabic, French, German, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Spanish. This would be good if you want to pick up another language. On the other hand, if you did decide to stick to business, you can easily study Mandarin Chinese alongside your studies.

Although Colchester isn't technically a city, there's still loads to do! There's loads of bars, nightclubs, restaurants, theatres, shops and attractions to keep you busy! London is also less than an hour away by train and there's even more stuff to do there!

Nightlife at the University is also pretty great with several bars and even a nightclub on campus. Sub Zero (the nightclub) organises events most days of the week and in the past it has seen acts such as DJ fresh, Lethal Bizzle, Wretch 32 and Sigma play live.

During the day there's lots going on as well! For example every Thursday we have our own market on campus, where local businesses sell their goods to students. There's stalls stocking everything from fresh fruit and vegetables, baked items, sweets, vintage clothing and everything in between!

There's also bundles of societies and sports teams that you can join with everything from Cheese and Wine to Theatre Arts to Cheerleading to Ultimate Frisbee. There's something for everyone!

There's also loads of nightlife in Colchester town itself. In particular, Twisters bar is a cool, quirkybar which offers cocktails from teapots and a chance to gamble the price ofyour drink (it’s called toss the boss). Clubs in the town such as Liquid andMissoula often play a range of music with student drink deals every Thursday.

There's loads of green spaces at the Colchester campus. In particular, there's a woodland area on campus with 2 small lakes. This is the perfect area to chill out in the Summer with designated BBQ areas available for students to use.

The people are generally really friendly and helpful. The Student's Union in particular does it's very hardest in providing answers to student questions and will always endeavour to make students happy!

Also, take a look at the IAMESSEX blog. There's loads of articles on there about life at the University of Essex and university life in general!

I really hope that's helped and if you have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to help ^Perry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martinaxx)
    definitely you helped me a lot !! can I ask you the last thing? does the uni help you with living costs ? I'm an international student so I have to live there and it's quite expensive.. rent,food,social life and so on.. and my family can't help me a lot..
    Hello,

There are a lot of scholarships and bursaries that the University of Essex provides depending on where you are from.
    I will put the link here but TSR sometimes blocks links so if it isn't accessible you can just google 'University of Essex scholarships' and the website should come up.

https://www.essex.ac.uk/fees-and-fun.../scholarships/

I hope this helps!
    Natalie.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think if you apply to Russell groups you cant go wrong as whilst they are not the only good uni's they are a good marker. Out of that list if I was you I'd definitely apply to Birmingham and Edinburgh. Both have very strong academic reputations, have beautiful university buildings, lovely leafy green areas and a great student social life.

Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland and has impressive gothic architecture, is a very cultural city, has a beautiful hilly landscape and lots of pubs, bars, cubs and events.

Birmingham is the second biggest city in the UK with lots going on and a great social and night life. The campus is set in the suburbs so is very leafy, green and serene with beautiful old redbrick buildings and a new glass modern library. It also has a train station on campus so you can be in the busy bustling city centre easily giving a nice balance between the countryside and city life.

Both uni's are very prestigious and sort after

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.