The Student Room Group

business is NOT mickey mouse subject

The first year of business a-level was very easy, but the second year where you study accounting is actually quite hard. i do mathematics a-level which im predicted an A for, tho ive had to work for it, and have struggled to do the accounting and finance part of the business course as unlike maths there is no clear cut formulae, you have to use a number of ratios and investment appraisals to come to a conclusion about investment decisions. is working in a bank, or accountancy and finance work considered mickey mouse? i dont think so. they are well paid jobs that involve large amounts of stress from important and consequential decisions that must be made.
Business out of my a-levels ( maths, business and english lit.) i must admit must be the easiest of them BUT it does give the neccessary basics for people wishing to go into finance/politics/business/economics degrees.
You cannot compare business with economics as business studies only slightly touches macroeconomics so it is not a "foundation economics" a-level. if anything, it should be compared with politics as it discusses current affair issues and applies them, for example the use of environmental audits. i did AS politics and found it very interesting, but i like the fact that with business studies that the issues are applied rather than merely discussed.
OK, I THINK IM DONE. ANYONE HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS?
Reply 1
Erm, wouldn't this be better in the general "Academic Discussions, Exams, Coursework and Homework" forum rather than the maths forum? It would get more attention and potential replies there. Alternatively, I'm pretty sure there are many old topics on this if you use the search function.
Reply 2
clare_m
The first year of business a-level was very easy, but the second year where you study accounting is actually quite hard. i do mathematics a-level which im predicted an A for, tho ive had to work for it, and have struggled to do the accounting and finance part of the business course as unlike maths there is no clear cut formulae, you have to use a number of ratios and investment appraisals to come to a conclusion about investment decisions. is working in a bank, or accountancy and finance work considered mickey mouse? i dont think so. they are well paid jobs that involve large amounts of stress from important and consequential decisions that must be made.
Business out of my a-levels ( maths, business and english lit.) i must admit must be the easiest of them BUT it does give the neccessary basics for people wishing to go into finance/politics/business/economics degrees.
You cannot compare business with economics as business studies only slightly touches macroeconomics so it is not a "foundation economics" a-level. if anything, it should be compared with politics as it discusses current affair issues and applies them, for example the use of environmental audits. i did AS politics and found it very interesting, but i like the fact that with business studies that the issues are applied rather than merely discussed.
OK, I THINK IM DONE. ANYONE HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS?

Yes it is a micky mouse subject...

Only people who have less than 5C's in our school take it. You cant teach someone how to be business minded..its a skill you acquire. If you went to ANY of the top Uni's with an A in business compared to people who had A's in chem/f.maths you are clearly going to be laughed at.

Subjects like media studies and business were created so the government can claim more people are passing exams....

Clearly when you see they are called Advanced GNVQ's and not "a-levels/GCE's" ("Generally not very qualified" ) - quoted from my careers teacher.... I think it says it all.

Well, thats my opinion.
So I assume by saying that it is a mickey mouse subject... that not only have you done Business, but you have also an A in it... am I correct... no?

If you haven't done the subject don't tell people who have how easy it is please, because it isn't.
Reply 4
Mad_Monkey59
So I assume by saying that it is a mickey mouse subject... that not only have you done Business, but you have also an A in it... am I correct... no?

If you haven't done the subject don't tell people who have how easy it is please, because it isn't.

I'm not going to bother wasting my time doing it. Its not a proper A-level, anyone with a bit of common sense will know that! Clearly you do take it.

I do maths,f.maths,physics and geography. Far better a-levels.
Reply 5
chud
I do... geography

pssssshhh... woman's subject :biggrin:
Reply 6
What makes it so hard? I haven't done it but it doesn't sound that hard to be honest.
tut... its not hard, hard like i dunno maths or history. And if you dont want to 'waste your time' taking it then dont.

what i am saying to you is that don't discredit other peoples hard work when quite frankly you dont have a fukin clue what your on about.
Reply 8
it harder than everyone thinks i got good GCSE grades and its not an easy ride, you think its all common sense ,ok then, try and going into exam and taking it and see for your self that common snese wouldnt take you far without knowlegde and principles of a subject.
Reply 9
Give us some sample exam questions, and explain what makes them so difficult.
The exams revolve around a case study. So you would be given a example of a business... told about the ins and outs of it, and then set essay style questions. Also you may be given a profit and loss account or similar and asked to fill it in using the information in the case study, using formulas you should have remembered, there are lots of them.

Also basically using business terms and buzz words you have to basically answer the questions saying why the business is doing shit for example.

suggest ways that it can be improved.

its all seems very straight forward, but there are lots of phrases and tests you have do do on the business to test whether it had borrowed too much money, like an acidity test etc.

I sat the a2 a year ago so its a bit fuzzy... but it is no walk in the park... and it is repected amoung employers.
Mad_Monkey59
The exams revolve around a case study. So you would be given a example of a business... told about the ins and outs of it, and then set essay style questions. Also you may be given a profit and loss account or similar and asked to fill it in using the information in the case study, using formulas you should have remembered, there are lots of them.

Also basically using business terms and buzz words you have to basically answer the questions saying why the business is doing shit for example.

suggest ways that it can be improved.

its all seems very straight forward, but there are lots of phrases and tests you have do do on the business to test whether it had borrowed too much money, like an acidity test etc.

I sat the a2 a year ago so its a bit fuzzy... but it is no walk in the park... and it is repected amoung employers.

thank you :smile:
Reply 12
chud

Only people who have less than 5C's in our school take it. You cant teach someone how to be business minded..its a skill you acquire. If you went to ANY of the top Uni's with an A in business compared to people who had A's in chem/f.maths you are clearly going to be laughed at.

Subjects like media studies and business were created so the government can claim more people are passing exams....

Clearly when you see they are called Advanced GNVQ's and not "a-levels/GCE's" ("Generally not very qualified" ) - quoted from my careers teacher.... I think it says it all.

Well, thats my opinion.

IF YOUR SOOOO SMART, ud have realised i said "a-level" business studies. when did ANYONE start talking about GNVQ's????????....they are indeed crap subjects and most good uni's will ignore qualifications in these. but im talking about a-level business studies.

and anyway, they were not created so more people could be shown to be passing exams. in fact, the government will do its best this year to raise grade boundaries in all subjects as the previous years have been deemed laughable, the amount of straight A's, that were achieved!
Reply 13
clare_m
IF YOUR SOOOO SMART, ud have realised i said "a-level" business studies. when did ANYONE start talking about GNVQ's????????!

im sure chud just misunderstood... :smile:
also its not very smart posting this in a maths forum... anyone who thinks business studies is maths should be taking micky mouse subjects anyway :tongue:

btw... that last comment was a joke... hence the :tongue:

IMO, maths is a very easy (almost micky mouse) subject... especially after they made it into the "C" system... but most unis consider maths as a good a level...
some unis might consider business as a good a level others won't... but imo its safer to choose subjects that are guaranteed to be seen as challanging and not micky mouse... such as 3 main sciences, economics, history, eng, maths .... etc...
chud

Only people who have less than 5C's in our school take it. You cant teach someone how to be business minded..its a skill you acquire. If you went to ANY of the top Uni's with an A in businesscompared to peoplewho had A's in chem/f.maths you are clearly going to be laughed at.

How can you comment if you haven't even taken the subject? You're being niave and having an attitude like that isn't going to get you very fair in life. Stop being so narrow minded, you sound as if you've been brain washed into one track thinking.
Reply 15
THREAD LOCKED

THINK

Latest