Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The relative silence on the renewing of Salman Rushdie's Fatwa Is deafening! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    Yeah blasphemy, particularly against Islam in the current climate, never got anyone killed.

Even if the threat were empty, which it is not, standing up against it should be a matter if principle.
    Rushdie is quoted as saying "It's reached the point where it's a piece of rhetoric rather than a real threat." He doesn't seem to take it as a threat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_Rushdie (Original link is dead)

I'm also curious how, as a matter of principle, you are standing up against it. Unless you are actively volunteering to be his bodyguard, you probably aren't doing jack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Rushdie is quoted as saying "It's reached the point where it's a piece of rhetoric rather than a real threat." He doesn't seem to take it as a threat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_Rushdie (Original link is dead)

I'm also curious how, as a matter of principle, you are standing up against it. Unless you are actively volunteering to be his bodyguard, you probably aren't doing jack.
    So the choice is be his bodyguard or shut up? I stand against fascism with my opinions. Principles are all I have.

Are you plain cynical or just wantonly contrarious?

ReputationRep:
    So the choice is be his bodyguard or shut up? I stand against fascism with my opinions. Principles are all I have.

Are you plain cynical or just wantonly contrarious?
    I'm just really bemused that rather than saying the fatwa is wrong, you are more concerned with putting the emphasis on the supposed silence of liberals. Although a bunch of the usual liberal talking heads signing a letter suggests that they weren't being silent.

As for fighting fascism with your opinions, good luck with that. History suggests that you need a little more than that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just really bemused that rather than saying the fatwa is wrong, you are more concerned with putting the emphasis on the supposed silence of liberals. Although a bunch of the usual liberal talking heads signing a letter suggests that they weren't being silent.

As for fighting fascism with your opinions, good luck with that. History suggests that you need a little more than that.
    I didnt say my opinion would make a difference. You seem determined to put me at the front line of an actual war.

A list of prominent liberals signed a petition, good. Meanwhile most liberals seem to either duck the problem in general or victim blame. I speak as a liberal who thinks we all should fight fascism wherever we see it, I don't see much solidarity.

If Katie Hopkins so much as farts, however, the Internet loses its collective mind.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt say my opinion would make a difference. You seem determined to put me at the front line of an actual war.

A list of prominent liberals signed a petition, good. Meanwhile most liberals seem to either duck the problem in general or victim blame. I speak as a liberal who thinks we all should fight fascism wherever we see it, I don't see much solidarity.

If Katie Hopkins so much as farts, however, the Internet loses its collective mind.
    Who are most of these liberals that are ducking the issue or victim blaming with regards to Salman Rushdie's fatwa?

I've been a massive fan of Rushdie since first reading Midnight's Children over 15 years ago. Read all his novels except his most recent and read/watched/listened to countless articles, documentaries/news stories and radio programmes on the guy. I can't say that I ever got the impression that liberals were ducking the problem or blaming him. If anything, I got the impression he got almost unequivocal support and he is regularly cited as an example of freedom of expression in literature.

ReputationRep:
    Who are most of these liberals that are ducking the issue or victim blaming with regards to Salman Rushdie's fatwa?

I've been a massive fan of Rushdie since first reading Midnight's Children over 15 years ago. Read all his novels except his most recent and read/watched/listened to countless articles, documentaries/news stories and radio programmes on the guy. I can't say that I ever got the impression that liberals were ducking the problem or blaming him. If anything, I got the impression he got almost unequivocal support and he is regularly cited as an example of freedom of expression in literature.
    From the moment the original fatwa against him was issues, newspapers, religious leaders, royalty and most of the public decided the bigger crime was blasphemy.

When the blood was still running int he streets, liberals were calling Charlie Hebdo racists and seeking to muddy the moral waters. When the Paris attacks happened teh response was to say Lebanon was attacked, let's talk about that instead and let's just straight to the worries about a right wing repsonse. rather than dealign with the fascism had just murdered over 100 people, including Muslims.

The liberal response is (largely) masochism, purposeful confusing of the issue and victim blaming. I see the RELATIVE silence in this response as depressing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    That left wing satirical paper.
    Why is that relevant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    Why is that relevant?
    Left wingers ridiculed Islam to the extent that a bunch of Islamic terrorists targeted them.

OP is saying liberals (left wing baddies) only ever act as apologists for backward religion.

ReputationRep:
    I've been a massive fan of Rushdie since first reading Midnight's Children
    Oh dear! Midnight's Children is the only reason I didn't read The Satanic Verses.

From the moment the original fatwa against him was issues, newspapers, religious leaders, royalty and most of the public decided the bigger crime was blasphemy.
    I can't agree with that. Britain even repealed its blasphemy laws afterwards (though not as a result of the fatwa). There, rightly, was outrage about it.

Not being a Grauniad reader (except for the crosswords) I had not heard about the bounty, so am somewhat surprised to hear about it now. I bet Rushdie is nervous.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.