Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Multiculturalism - are you glad that we value it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    So you're just complaining becuase you like to complain. It doesn't affect you so simmer down :bebored:
    no, I'm saying my university is trying to seem multicultural and therefore non-racist, but at the same time, you don't become non-racist simply for stunts like this. you become non-racist by simply not being racist, surely? I mean, if I took each of my facebook profile photos with a person of a different race, would that make me less racist than all my friends who didn't go that far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    no, I'm saying my university is trying to seem multicultural and therefore non-racist, but at the same time, you don't become non-racist simply for stunts like this. you become non-racist by simply not being racist, surely? I mean, if I took each of my facebook profile photos with a person of a different race, would that make me less racist than all my friends who didn't go that far?
    I'm not seeing the crime here. If a university wants to seem multicultural that's no harm done.
    Why wouldn't a university strive to be inclusive and maximise its intake of young talent?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how you define multiculturalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevva888)
    As a third generation immigrant to the UK, I always think that people see the grass as greener abroad. However, they don't see the level of intolerance that occurs abroad. My family has lived through the years in the UK when we were not so multicultural as a country and racist attacks were commonplace. People attack multiculturalism, but I personally think it has made the UK a much better place on a purely personal level.

Interested to read your views on this.
    It's exciting at first then it strips the nature, culture and race from the host nation. The left like is to use as a tool to remove traditional structures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anti-anti)
    It's exciting at first then it strips the nature, culture and race from the host nation. The left like is to use as a tool to remove traditional structures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Think how many less voters labour would have got without migrants

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Multiculturalism only really works well when there's a good degree of base level similarity between the host culture and the cultures introduced. That isn't the case in this country.

Britain doesn't have a strong unified national identity like the US which makes true integration less likely. A weak national identity also means it's easier to erode the host culture which is what is happening in parts of England. We call it "tolerance" and celebrate it as a British value. You just have to look at London, it's not an English city, it's an immigrant city with large enclaves dominated by non-English people.

People who have undergone FGM now reside in major cities across England and parts of London have higher rates of TB than some 3rd world nations. We now have a growing army of Romanian pickpocketing gangs and ATM fraudsters.
    Just some of the side-effects our amazing tolerance which we're all too happy to accept even if it makes our society less cohesive in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    You only need look and see how bland and uninspiring Scotland is to see why we do desperately need it.

ReputationRep:
    well yeah.....we're not racist like the Americans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    You just have to look at London, it's not an English city, it's an immigrant city with large enclaves dominated by non-English people.
    This is why I think that London should secede from the United Kingdom.

We have a bigger GDP than certain countries combined, and unlike countryside people we don't get scared when we see someone with a darker skin tone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.