Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive been looking for an accounting job for a while now and haven't really got anywhere with it. I was just windering what people have done to get a job and maybe tell me something I have not been doing.

ReputationRep:
    what did you graduate with, in what subject?

ReputationRep:
    Accounting and finance 2:1. Some of the jobs I have seen mention that I must have one year experience in an accounting role, where and how is the best way to do this.

ReputationRep:
    You can't expect to get a job straight out of university. You should've applied for an internship, I think it may be too late now for many firms, but still check the big four at least.

e.g. - http://www.ey.com/UK/en/Careers/Stud...-Opportunities

The deadline was 5th of February.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L0sander)
    Accounting and finance 2:1. Some of the jobs I have seen mention that I must have one year experience in an accounting role, where and how is the best way to do this.

Most jobs will ask for SOME sort of experience, hardly any employers will advertise that they are willing to take on people that have zero experience, and what's the best way to get experience has always been a problem for lots of people, what do you already do to try and get experience? Whats your financial situation, would you be willing to do unpaid work?

(Original post by popcornjpg)
    You can't expect to get a job straight out of university
    You shouldn't 'expect' one but that doesn't mean you cant get one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KungPooPanda)
    Most jobs will ask for SOME sort of experience, hardly any employers will advertise that they are willing to take on people that have zero experience, and what's the best way to get experience has always been a problem for lots of people, what do you already do to try and get experience? Whats your financial situation, would you be willing to do unpaid work?

You shouldn't 'expect' one but that doesn't mean you cant get one
    I didn't say it's impossible, just that it's very competitive and you have to be quite lucky to get into a good position straight after university.

ReputationRep:
    I am in a good financial situation and I would be willing to do unpaid work. I think that's a good idea and a good step in the right direction. how would you recommend doing this?

ReputationRep:
    For those looking for graduate jobs and internships; a great resource to sign up to is Graduate Recruitment Bureau! It is the UK's leading grad recruitment website which will give you access to exclusive jobs and internships! It takes two minutes and you will have free access to the best resources! Sign up here: www.grb.uk.com/sbm/14005

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.