Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I am currently trying to decide whether I should apply for maths and economics or MORSE at Warwick. I've done some research and it seems that MORSE is more respected while maths and exon is a little less well known at Warwick. However, I can't decide which of these would be more useful for a career in finance or investment banking, I know that the MMORSE has actuarial exemptions while MORSE and maths and econ don't, so should I apply for that? But the props t of doing a four year degree seems a bit much of it doesn't really benefit me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Hi guys,
    I am currently trying to decide whether I should apply for maths and economics or MORSE at Warwick. I've done some research and it seems that MORSE is more respected while maths and exon is a little less well known at Warwick. However, I can't decide which of these would be more useful for a career in finance or investment banking, I know that the MMORSE has actuarial exemptions while MORSE and maths and econ don't, so should I apply for that? But the props t of doing a four year degree seems a bit much of it doesn't really benefit me?
    If you're considering actuarial work then go for the MMORSE as its the only one of these courses that gives you actuarial exemptions. But for investment banking/trading/accounting/consulting they are all equally regarded because Warwick is a target uni- course doesn't really matter that much compared to your extra curricular activities and volunteering.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who's worked in all of these sectors (and promptly left, note), they're all very useful subjects.

You're asking the wrong questions though, i.e. "what will x institution think of this choice" - and that's a clear telltale sign you're probably not going to actually enjoy it very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    As someone who's worked in all of these sectors (and promptly left, note), they're all very useful subjects.

You're asking the wrong questions though, i.e. "what will x institution think of this choice" - and that's a clear telltale sign you're probably not going to actually enjoy it very much.
    What he said. You're not gonna be able to last for 3 years doing something just for the pay off. Warwick is a target university. Do the course you like there and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Hi guys,
    Go for MORSE. If you have a close look at both courses, you'll see that the first year is somewhat the same. 2nd-4th year MORSE you can choose a lot of Econ module is you want to focus on Econ whereas with Maths & Econ, you'll have to stick to a certain schedule.
    Also, with MORSE you can always decide to focus on different branches (Op Research, Stats, financial Maths etc.)

So to sum up, with MORSE you'll be able to take nearly (if not all modules) from Econ and a lot of more of your interest. You'll find that there won't be many differences.

Here the module info: (MORSE) http://web.warwick.ac.uk/info/course.../usta-g300.htm

(Maths & Econ) http://web.warwick.ac.uk/info/course.../umaa-gl11.htm

ReputationRep:
    Both are good enough to get you into the employers as you can take economics modules to give you a grounding in stuff that is useful to know for finance.
    What really matters is the stuff you do outside of academics to show your passion for the career. Start reading books and get involved with trading competitions etc.
    I did MORSE trust me it doesn't matter what you do so long as you can enjoy it. But one thing is to be said that the degree for MORSE for three years is much more flexible as it progresses whereas Math Econ and 4 year MORSE not really.

(Original post by TheSnazzyMan)
    Go for MORSE. If you have a close look at both courses, you'll see that the first year is somewhat the same. 2nd-4th year MORSE you can choose a lot of Econ module is you want to focus on Econ whereas with Maths & Econ, you'll have to stick to a certain schedule.
    Also, with MORSE you can always decide to focus on different branches (Op Research, Stats, financial Maths etc.)

So to sum up, with MORSE you'll be able to take nearly (if not all modules) from Econ and a lot of more of your interest. You'll find that there won't be many differences.

Here the module info: (MORSE) http://web.warwick.ac.uk/info/course.../usta-g300.htm

(Maths & Econ) http://web.warwick.ac.uk/info/course.../umaa-gl11.htm

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.