Warwick Maths and Econ vs MORSE vs MMORSE for finance/investment banking Watch

Ladbants
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys,
I am currently trying to decide whether I should apply for maths and economics or MORSE at Warwick. I've done some research and it seems that MORSE is more respected while maths and exon is a little less well known at Warwick. However, I can't decide which of these would be more useful for a career in finance or investment banking, I know that the MMORSE has actuarial exemptions while MORSE and maths and econ don't, so should I apply for that? But the props t of doing a four year degree seems a bit much of it doesn't really benefit me?
DetectivePeralta
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ladbants)
Hi guys,
I am currently trying to decide whether I should apply for maths and economics or MORSE at Warwick. I've done some research and it seems that MORSE is more respected while maths and exon is a little less well known at Warwick. However, I can't decide which of these would be more useful for a career in finance or investment banking, I know that the MMORSE has actuarial exemptions while MORSE and maths and econ don't, so should I apply for that? But the props t of doing a four year degree seems a bit much of it doesn't really benefit me?
If you're considering actuarial work then go for the MMORSE as its the only one of these courses that gives you actuarial exemptions. But for investment banking/trading/accounting/consulting they are all equally regarded because Warwick is a target uni- course doesn't really matter that much compared to your extra curricular activities and volunteering.
Don John
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As someone who's worked in all of these sectors (and promptly left, note), they're all very useful subjects.

You're asking the wrong questions though, i.e. "what will x institution think of this choice" - and that's a clear telltale sign you're probably not going to actually enjoy it very much.
High Stakes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Don John)
As someone who's worked in all of these sectors (and promptly left, note), they're all very useful subjects.

You're asking the wrong questions though, i.e. "what will x institution think of this choice" - and that's a clear telltale sign you're probably not going to actually enjoy it very much.
What he said. You're not gonna be able to last for 3 years doing something just for the pay off. Warwick is a target university. Do the course you like there and you'll be fine.
TheSnazzyMan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ladbants)
Hi guys,
Go for MORSE. If you have a close look at both courses, you'll see that the first year is somewhat the same. 2nd-4th year MORSE you can choose a lot of Econ module is you want to focus on Econ whereas with Maths & Econ, you'll have to stick to a certain schedule.
Also, with MORSE you can always decide to focus on different branches (Op Research, Stats, financial Maths etc.)

So to sum up, with MORSE you'll be able to take nearly (if not all modules) from Econ and a lot of more of your interest. You'll find that there won't be many differences.

Here the module info: (MORSE) http://web.warwick.ac.uk/info/course.../usta-g300.htm

(Maths & Econ) http://web.warwick.ac.uk/info/course.../umaa-gl11.htm
nahasanarhu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Both are good enough to get you into the employers as you can take economics modules to give you a grounding in stuff that is useful to know for finance.
What really matters is the stuff you do outside of academics to show your passion for the career. Start reading books and get involved with trading competitions etc.
I did MORSE trust me it doesn't matter what you do so long as you can enjoy it. But one thing is to be said that the degree for MORSE for three years is much more flexible as it progresses whereas Math Econ and 4 year MORSE not really.

(Original post by TheSnazzyMan)
Go for MORSE. If you have a close look at both courses, you'll see that the first year is somewhat the same. 2nd-4th year MORSE you can choose a lot of Econ module is you want to focus on Econ whereas with Maths & Econ, you'll have to stick to a certain schedule.
Also, with MORSE you can always decide to focus on different branches (Op Research, Stats, financial Maths etc.)

So to sum up, with MORSE you'll be able to take nearly (if not all modules) from Econ and a lot of more of your interest. You'll find that there won't be many differences.

Here the module info: (MORSE) http://web.warwick.ac.uk/info/course.../usta-g300.htm

(Maths & Econ) http://web.warwick.ac.uk/info/course.../umaa-gl11.htm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (86)
24.36%
No (267)
75.64%

Watched Threads