Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hello,
    I was just wondering if anyone is doing veterinary medicine at Surrey uni or the RVC and could tell me what it's like? I'm currently doing my AS levels and I'll be taking biology, chemistry and maths through to A level. I'm really interested in becoming a vet and have just started to look at universities - so far these would be my top two. Thanks!
    Also just checking, would these GCSEs be good enough to get in:
    English lang - B
    Business studies - B
    Art - A
    Drama - A
    Geography - A
    English lit - A
    Further maths - A
    Core science - A
    German - A*
    Maths - A*
    Additional science - A*
    Further additional science - A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.louise)
    Hello,
    I was just wondering if anyone is doing veterinary medicine at Surrey uni or the RVC and could tell me what it's like? I'm currently doing my AS levels and I'll be taking biology, chemistry and maths through to A level. I'm really interested in becoming a vet and have just started to look at universities - so far these would be my top two. Thanks!
    English lang - B
    Business studies - B
    Art - A
    Drama - A
    Geography - A
    English lit - A
    Further maths - A
    Core science - A
    German - A*
    Maths - A*
    Additional science - A*
    I can tell you those GCSEs will be completely fine.

I can't however tell you what the degree at those two universities are like as I am at Liverpool vet school. But someone else will be able to help you out with that

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Lizziefickling)
    I can tell you those GCSEs will be completely fine.

I can't however tell you what the degree at those two universities are like as I am at Liverpool vet school. But someone else will be able to help you out with that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh ok thank you for the quick reply!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    English lang - B
    Business studies - B
    Art - A
    Drama - A
    Geography - A
    English lit - A
    Further maths - A
    Core science - A
    German - A*
    Maths - A*
    Additional science - A*
    Hi I'm a second year at the RVC. Those grades sound good to me too . It really depends on what you would like to know. The RVC uni is spread across two campuses one in Camden and one near potter's bar (Hawkshead). In first year there are a mixture of practicals (dissections, live animal structure and function talks, point to point stations with questions on specimens and lab work) as well as days out to Hawkshead farm for more large animal practicals . There are also lectures and directed learning sessions with group work on often clinical cases or more in depth on lecture material. In second year the structure is similar although we have a research project to complete as well. After second year most students move out to the Hawkshead campus although there is the possibility to intercalate in Camden or Hawkshead. In terms of accommodation most students go into halls in first year, second year is a mixture of halls and private accommodation. At Hawkshead they have more halls or there is private accommodation. In terms of other facilities there is a gym in Camden and a new gym/ sports center being built in Hawkshead I think . If you have any specific questions let me know . I'm really enjoying the course and personally I like the relatively international accreditation the RVC provides . But anyway all the lecturers are great and I would really recommend it . All the veterinary universities are amazing but personally my first choice applying was the RVC and I'm glad I ended up here .

(Original post by Vetstudent333)
    Hi I'm a second year at the RVC. Those grades sound good to me too . It really depends on what you would like to know. The RVC uni is spread across two campuses one in Camden and one near potter's bar (Hawkshead). In first year there are a mixture of practicals (dissections, live animal structure and function talks, point to point stations with questions on specimens and lab work) as well as days out to Hawkshead farm for more large animal practicals . There are also lectures and directed learning sessions with group work on often clinical cases or more in depth on lecture material. In second year the structure is similar although we have a research project to complete as well. After second year most students move out to the Hawkshead campus although there is the possibility to intercalate in Camden or Hawkshead. In terms of accommodation most students go into halls in first year, second year is a mixture of halls and private accommodation. At Hawkshead they have more halls or there is private accommodation. In terms of other facilities there is a gym in Camden and a new gym/ sports center being built in Hawkshead I think . If you have any specific questions let me know . I'm really enjoying the course and personally I like the relatively international accreditation the RVC provides . But anyway all the lecturers are great and I would really recommend it . All the veterinary universities are amazing but personally my first choice applying was the RVC and I'm glad I ended up here .
    Hiya, thanks for taking the time to reply ah that's interesting to know I didn't realise it was spread over two campuses. Ooo that sounds so good! What was the application process like as I know it's such a competitive course and it's really hard to get a place? Also do you know roughly how many people applied when you applied? If you have any tips or suggestions for getting a place they would be much appreciated thank you again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, thanks for taking the time to reply ah that's interesting to know I didn't realise it was spread over two campuses. Ooo that sounds so good! What was the application process like as I know it's such a competitive course and it's really hard to get a place? Also do you know roughly how many people applied when you applied? If you have any tips or suggestions for getting a place they would be much appreciated thank you again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was quite a long time now that I applied and it is competitive to get a place, as every vet university is . As much work experience as possible is always a good thing . You can download the prospectus here to get more information:
    http://www.rvc.ac.uk/about/the-rvc/p...ate-prospectus

On the RVC site it says in 2013 out of 1318 applicants 153 students enrolled. But I think if I remember correctly the RVC does interview a lot of the applicants? Can't remember the exact numbers though hope that helps

It was quite a long time now that I applied and it is competitive to get a place, as every vet university is . As much work experience as possible is always a good thing . You can download the prospectus here to get more information:
    http://www.rvc.ac.uk/about/the-rvc/p...ate-prospectus

On the RVC site it says in 2013 out of 1318 applicants 153 students enrolled. But I think if I remember correctly the RVC does interview a lot of the applicants? Can't remember the exact numbers though hope that helps
    Ok I will definitely be squeezing in as much work experience as possible over the next few months haha ok that's a good thing to know, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The RVC sounds brilliant. I am also interested in going to the RVC. How competitive is it to get in? Is it expensive to live there and is it possible to get a part time job as well as studying? How much larger and more difficult than A level biology chemistry and maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viner9495)
    The RVC sounds brilliant. I am also interested in going to the RVC. How competitive is it to get in? Is it expensive to live there and is it possible to get a part time job as well as studying? How much larger and more difficult than A level biology chemistry and maths?
    Hi there as I said before its as competitive as the other veterinary universities . It is more expensive to live in London compared to other veterinary universities. However you are only at the Camden campus for the first 2 years before moving to Hawkshead which is cheaper. There are also student halls which are cheaper than private accommodation. You don't really have a regular timetable as such so it would be difficult to get a part time job unless it was at weekends. Wednesday afternoon's are always free usually for sports clubs, societies etc. However the RVC has opportunities to earn either as a student ambassador or as SU positions or at the RVC's bar 'The Haxby' etc. There are lots of job opportunities offered by the RVC if you want to earn a bit and whats good about those opportunities is they will fit around your lectures etc. In terms of difficulty of the course, of course Veterinary Medicine is a step up from A-levels and is harder. However there is a lot of support from the learning development team to make the transition as easy as possible. There are loads of different resources on RVC Learn, a website run for RVC students, which has all the lectures recorded, extra reading, videos, the anatomy museum online, practical class sheets etc. Hope that helped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.