Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am doing A2 Edexcel Maths, I am kind of confused on topic 4.5 (page 43) which involves setting up a differential equation from the information given in context. Can someone please explain to me what this topic is basically about and how you write the differential equations from the context. Much appreciated!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Caped_Crusader96)
    I am doing A2 Edexcel Maths, I am kind of confused on topic 4.5 (page 43) which involves setting up a differential equation from the information given in context. Can someone please explain to me what this topic is basically about and how you write the differential equations from the context. Much appreciated!
    Best to post in the Maths forum:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38

How much do you know already? Are there some questions you can do, and some questions you can't?

If you are completely stuck I would suggest going to the start of 4.5 (or even Chapter 4, but I can't remember what's in that chapter and whether it helps with 4.5) and work through that. Perhaps you could use examsolutions or a similar resource as well to get someone to talk you through things.

If you're stuck with a particular question, post it in the Maths forum
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    I'll move this to the maths section for you so you hopefully get the help you need

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try giving us an example so we can walk you through out and dissect it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Why don't you try giving us an example so we can walk you through out and dissect it?
    Please, no biology!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Please, no biology!!
    And here I was thinking B_9710 stood for Biology_9710.

ReputationRep:
    And here I was thinking B_9710 stood for Biology_9710.
    :eek::eek::eek:
    NEVER!!!!!!
    How offensive.

ReputationRep:
    Biology is the devil's science, will vote for whatever party campaigns to have it banned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Best to post in the Maths forum:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38

How much do you know already? Are there some questions you can do, and some questions you can't?

If you are completely stuck I would suggest going to the start of 4.5 (or even Chapter 4, but I can't remember what's in that chapter and whether it helps with 4.5) and work through that. Perhaps you could use examsolutions or a similar resource as well to get someone to talk you through things.

If you're stuck with a particular question, post it in the Maths forum
    Here is a question, its question 8 on page 46 in C4 Edexcel textbook:

A metal bar is heated to a certain temperature, then allowed to cool down and it is noted that, at time t, the rate loss of temperature is proportional to the difference in temperature between the metal bar, theta, and the temperature of its surroundings theta0. Write down a differential equation relating theta and t.

so that means dtheta/dt = rate of change in temperature.

I'm not sure what to do next.

ReputationRep:
    Here is a question, its question 8 on page 46 in C4 Edexcel textbook:

A metal bar is heated to a certain temperature, then allowed to cool down and it is noted that, at time t, the rate loss of temperature is proportional to the difference in temperature between the metal bar, theta, and the temperature of its surroundings theta0. Write down a differential equation relating theta and t.

so that means dtheta/dt = rate of change in temperature.

I'm not sure what to do next.
    Okay, so you know from GCSE that if y is proportional to x then y = kx for some constant k, right?

In this case - you know the rate loss of temperature (dtheta/dt) is proportion to the difference between the metal bar and the surroundings (theta - theta_0)

So you can write: \displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d}\theta}{\mathrm{  d}t} = -k(\theta - \theta_0)

You okay with this?

Note that I want k to be positive and \frac{d\theta}{dt} is the rate of increase, so if I want to turn that into a loss I'll need to factor in that - sign as I have above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    Biology is the devil's science, will vote for whatever party campaigns to have it banned
    Psychology??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Psychology??
    Took that at GCSE, was basically like a sciencey geography, case study after case study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    Took that at GCSE, was basically like a sciencey geography, case study after case study
    *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    am I too late?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so you know from GCSE that if y is proportional to x then y = kx for some constant k, right?

In this case - you know the rate loss of temperature (dtheta/dt) is proportion to the difference between the metal bar and the surroundings (theta - theta_0)

So you can write: \displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d}\theta}{\mathrm{  d}t} = -k(\theta - \theta_0)

You okay with this?

Note that I want k to be positive and \frac{d\theta}{dt} is the rate of increase, so if I want to turn that into a loss I'll need to factor in that - sign as I have above.
    You are a saviour man. Thank you so much! :adore:

ReputationRep:
    You are a saviour man. Thank you so much! :adore:
    Haha, glad that helps.

Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.