The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Chemical Engineering at Bath

Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me find a first year Chemical Engineering student at Bath who could give me an insight into their typical week! As in like a timetable of how many hours of lectures, practicals etc.

Also, how does the accommodation application process work? Do you just choose one preference and hope you get that one? And if you don't you end up in any random one? Or can you choose several preferences?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks :smile:
Original post by A*da*m
Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me find a first year Chemical Engineering student at Bath who could give me an insight into their typical week! As in like a timetable of how many hours of lectures, practicals etc.

Also, how does the accommodation application process work? Do you just choose one preference and hope you get that one? And if you don't you end up in any random one? Or can you choose several preferences?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks :smile:

An average week at Bath for engineering is 17h 15 mins:
http://timetables.bath.ac.uk/current-year/reporting/individual?identifier=First+year+Chemical+Engineering&weeks=19-32&submit2=View+Chemical+Engineering+Timetable&idtype=name&objectclass=programme%2Bof%2Bstudy%2Bgroups&periods=1-11&days=1-5&width=100&height=0
A current first year student's timetable for chem eng at Bath is as follows:
http://timetables.bath.ac.uk/current-year/reporting/individual?identifier=First+year+Chemical+Engineering&weeks=19-32&submit2=View+Chemical+Engineering+Timetable&idtype=name&objectclass=programme%2Bof%2Bstudy%2Bgroups&periods=1-11&days=1-5&width=100&height=0
Accommodation applications begin on the 12th of April, you choose 3 but you're likely to get your first choice. Accommodation is marvelous at Bath as the campus is essentially a mini-city, so irrespective of where you end up, you'll thoroughly enjoy life there.
Let me borrow from a current student:

Original post by University Of Bath

Bath is a really nice city to live in as it feels very safe and being a World Heritage site, it is very picturesque. Although it is a fairly small city, there are lots of shops and restaurants, and from my experience there is plenty to do (to get an idea you can look at Bath Leap List, a list of the best activities to do in Bath compiled by students!). There are 24 hour bus services that run during term time which take you from campus into town, and the transport links are also great - I've visited Bristol several times on the train and it is very cheap and accessible. The campus itself is fairly small and compact in comparison to other universities, however this is something that I really like about Bath; as it means the university has a real community feel and offers a very friendly, cosy and safe environment to study in.

Before I came to Bath I was also a bit worried that the nightlife wouldn't live up to my expectations. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by what the nightlife has to offer! The nightlife in Bath is pretty varied and although it does not offer a big city clubbing scene, there are lots of different bars, pubs and nightclubs with student club nights in the city nearly everyday of the week. As well as this, the SU holds two club nights each week on campus - Klass on Saturdays and Score on Wednesdays. Although the clubs may not be as big as those in larger cities, with so many students in Bath, I have found that most nights out are busy and have a great atmosphere! Alternatively, Bristol is only a 15 minute train journey away if you feel like going somewhere a bit different.

If you have any other questions please feel free to quote me!

Beth

and
Original post by University Of Bath

Bath Uni is a relatively small campus uni. This means that it's like a mini town all on one site! We have a Co-Op style shop, a couple of banks, coffee shops, a library, sports faculties, a nightclub, and much more, all in one place. In your first year, you will probably also be living on campus, which will be about a 5 minute walk to anything you need on campus. There are many other campus universities but there are also many city universities, where all the building are spread over the city. This is a very important thing to think about. Being on a campus can be great - it is pretty busy and has a good atmosphere. You will be surrounded by other students and gives quite a community feel. However, some people do find it can be a bit claustrophobic, but a trip into town is just a 10 minute bus journey away!

The city of Bath it's self is very beautiful and is pretty touristy. This does mean it is relatively expensive, but the architecture and history is one of the best in the country.

Bath uni also has a large number of sports clubs and societies with fantastic sports facilities, if this is something you are interested in. The first year accommodation is typical student accommodation which will be comparable to every other university.
Rob

I really hope to see you there next year! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Quick Reply

Latest