Turn on thread page Beta

How does one become intelligent? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so im currently studying my masters degree at a considerably better, more reputable uni than i was during my undergrad, im doing it in law. Everyone there seems to be so worldly and know everything about anything. I was wondering how does someone become super clever, do i just read everything and anything.. iv been trying but not a lot sticks, do i watch endless upon endless documentaries? any recommendations?

iv been trying to read 2 reputable papers everyday to get more of an understanding of international relations, and current affairs... currently i can't say that its working

i feel like when im having a conversation people just know more... HELL PPP!

iv got one year to get smarterer [sic] how should i best go about this bare in mind i have to read like 10 million books for each class and another 30 bazillion for dis prep.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly read the economist
    12 issues for £12 deal on atm
    Covers world politics and more, goes in to depth, analytical etc

Ask questions

Seek answers

Realise the bounds of knowledge are limited by human limitations

Um yeh..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gandeson)
    Okay so im currently studying my masters degree at a considerably better, more reputable uni than i was during my undergrad, im doing it in law. Everyone there seems to be so worldly and know everything about anything. I was wondering how does someone become super clever, do i just read everything and anything.. iv been trying but not a lot sticks, do i watch endless upon endless documentaries? any recommendations?

iv been trying to read 2 reputable papers everyday to get more of an understanding of international relations, and current affairs... currently i can't say that its working

iv got one year to get smarterer [sic] how should i best go about this bare in mind i have to read like 10 million books for each class and another 30 bazillion for dis prep.
    You seem to be confusing intelligence with knowledge. Intelligence is the capacity to grasp information, i.e. raw cognitive ability. Think IQ. Most psychologists claim intelligence is immutable.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to become intelligent?

ReputationRep:
    damn so what you're saying is i'm doomed to live a life of mediocracy and perpetual confused-face looks?

ReputationRep:
    You have to be born with it.

ReputationRep:
    damn so what you're saying is i'm doomed to live a life of mediocracy and perpetual confused-face looks?
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by number23)
    Why do you want to become intelligent?
    world domination, i guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil08)
    ...or maybe its Maybelline?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    When you read make sure you're thinking about what you read. Note down what was interesting about it, and think about where you've read similar or contradictory things before. Ask yourself whether or not you agree. Ask yourself what would strengthen or weaken the arguments made in what you've read. Discuss what you've read with people who are knowledgable or interested in the topic. Debate. Consolidate your knowledge into notes/essays/vlogs/journal entries/etc.

Finally, play chess. It won't make you smarter but it's good fun.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll do a simple guide on how to become intelligent, it's not at all difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil08)
    Nobody is born a genius.

ReputationRep:
    ok so i phrased the question rather awkwardly, well i recently just got a sprout of confidence from getting a kick ass distinction in one of my modules. However when in the classroom and when speaking to others i feel somewhat less than. i don't really care about this now, but career wise i want to be super knowledgeable and just be confident enough to do my job and apply for things that i feel im worth.

does anyone have any tips on how to improve your critical thinking and maybe world relations/history/important stuff knowledge? thanks

ReputationRep:
    ok so i phrased the question rather awkwardly, well i recently just got a sprout of confidence from getting a kick ass distinction in one of my modules. However when in the classroom and when speaking to others i feel somewhat less than. i don't really care about this now, but career wise i want to be super knowledgeable and just be confident enough to do my job and apply for things that i feel im worth.

does anyone have any tips on how to improve your critical thinking and maybe world relations/history/important stuff knowledge? thanks
    Stop!

Listen. Yes listen. Wise men speak when they have something to say, fools speak because have to say something. Ever hear that? Plato for you.

Don't be so insistent on giving off this impression or aura of intelligence. It comes organically. You will shine in a particular topic or area that others will be scratching their heads on. It's the ability to articulate and say what's on your mind that makes you look intelligent - Do you notice how those you may believe to be intelligent give concise, informative and engaging explanations? And the people that shout or sling together an incoherent sentence that lacks flow seem stupid?

Read, ask questions, look into other fields. I'm planning on studying Chemistry but I'm really good at mathematics and philosophy so I'm probably going to continue studying those in my free time

ReputationRep:
    Read. Read about anything, everything.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1456693990408.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  33.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just stop letting the information slide back out of your mind after you've read it. Keep stuff in your memory, it's easy :dunce:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.