Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for Medicine in a few days, and I was wondering if someone could give me some ideas on certain news and research that i should read up on. I have been looking at the BMJ, NHS website and also BBC health section.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The interviewers of the medical school you're applying to won't be too happy if they found out that you, who wants to be a doctor, is asking others on what you should read up on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vodka)
    The interviewers of the medical school you're applying to won't be too happy if they found out that you, who wants to be a doctor, is asking others on what you should read up on.
    Why ? what is the need for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty123A)
    I have an interview for Medicine in a few days, and I was wondering if someone could give me some ideas on certain news and research that i should read up on. I have been looking at the BMJ, NHS website and also BBC health section.

Thanks
    If you're keeping up with all of those then you are more than set. They want to see that you have an interest in keeping up to date and a general awareness of what's going on in medicine. They're not expecting detailed commentary on every issue of Lancet published in the past five years!

(Original post by Vodka)
    Asking for help and guidance is perfectly fine - asking for the specific questions which interviewers ask at a specific medical school isn't. But the OP hasn't done that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicapplicant)
    Why ? what is the need for that?
    (Original post by Democracy)

Asking for help and guidance is perfectly fine - asking for the specific questions which interviewers ask at a specific medical school isn't. But the OP hasn't done that.

Because like many others, OP is a potential future doctor. In addition to possessing soft skills like communication, teamwork etc, they should also hold genuine interest in the field to know which news or research are worth reading up on. If we would go ' you should read up on article A because it's a controversial issue, look up research paper B because it's groundbreaking...' to med applicants, then everyone can be a medic.
    OP is already on the right path on reading new sites like the BBC and the BMJ. Being spoonfed with specific research or articles does not show initiative at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vodka)
    Because like many others, OP is a potential future doctor. In addition to possessing soft skills like communication, teamwork etc, they should also hold genuine interest in the field to know which news or research are worth reading up on. If we would go ' you should read up on article A because it's a controversial issue, look up research paper B because it's groundbreaking...' to med applicants, then everyone can be a medic.
    OP is already on the right path on reading new sites like the BBC and the BMJ. Being spoonfed with specific research or articles does not show initiative at all.
    Okay, thanks for the insight, but the med schools don't actually see it that way. Guiding an applicant as to which sources they should use and what they should read up on to stay current (e.g. currently: contracts, Zika, etc) is perfectly fine and what this forum exists for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    If you're keeping up with all of those then you are more than set. They want to see that you have an interest in keeping up to date and a general awareness of what's going on in medicine. They're not expecting detailed commentary on every issue of Lancet published in the past five years!.
    Thanks for the reply .

ReputationRep:
    personally I don't think theres anythign specific you need to read up on, or even the need to keep up to date with all medical relavent news. For my interviews I had a few areas of interest, and read up on articles on those.
    Alternatively, research the university, find out what they're best at or what they look for in students, and read up on that and taylor your interview to the university.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.