Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm currently holding offers from good universities and waiting to hear from some other for biomedical sciences. I've read into the courses and favour those that allow you to pick which modules you prefer and that offer plenty of modules. However, I'm pretty sure as each day goes back, I think I've picked the wrong course. I wanted to do medicine but: poor GCSEs compared to other applicants and a year out due to illness so I'm currently a year late in my A-Level, plus a pretty bad AS grade but good biology, chemistry, and third a-level grades. To be totally honest, I have no interest in working in a lab when I finish university so I picked a non-accredited course so I could choose my own modules anyway. I want a career where I have patient/people contact and I'm constantly thinking about optom or audiology but medicine could be the true thing that I would have wanted to do. I think I'm may jumping the gun in hoping that I'll get into GEM or possibly transfer from biomed to medicine through the fierce competition (some of my uni offers do this transfer).

What options do I have left? Any advice from those who successfully got into GEM? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Biomedicine (I want to be a Science teacher though) and I knew someone last year who was AMAZING and after their first year of biomedicine, went onto study surgery. I forget which uni they went to, they typically got marks in the 80s in EVERYTHING though. =l
    Don't know if it makes a difference but she was an international student (from Russia) but she did transfer to another uni in the UK.

So, it can be done. I would phone around and start asking unis (preferably before you start Biomed to save on time next year) because, well, it's pretty late to start applying to medicine now given you need to get your application in for that around Christmas (at least I think it may even be before, sometime in November?), anyway, phone universities and ask if you can transfer onto a medicine course after your first year of Biomedicine. =)
    It can be done, you just have to do your research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    Hello,

I'm currently holding offers from good universities and waiting to hear from some other for biomedical sciences. I've read into the courses and favour those that allow you to pick which modules you prefer and that offer plenty of modules. However, I'm pretty sure as each day goes back, I think I've picked the wrong course. I wanted to do medicine but: poor GCSEs compared to other applicants and a year out due to illness so I'm currently a year late in my A-Level, plus a pretty bad AS grade but good biology, chemistry, and third a-level grades. To be totally honest, I have no interest in working in a lab when I finish university so I picked a non-accredited course so I could choose my own modules anyway. I want a career where I have patient/people contact and I'm constantly thinking about optom or audiology but medicine could be the true thing that I would have wanted to do. I think I'm may jumping the gun in hoping that I'll get into GEM or possibly transfer from biomed to medicine through the fierce competition (some of my uni offers do this transfer).

What options do I have left? Any advice from those who successfully got into GEM? Thanks
    hmm while I think that keeping GEM as an option isn't a bad idea, I do think it is a terrible idea to do a degree that is pointed at things to do with lab work (they are the skills you would gain after all) and definitely not want to work in a lab

Maybe consider doing a different degree? I mean not all GEM courses want a life science from what I remember when I was looking at it, though double check that as it may of changed (I was in a similar position to you)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    I'm doing Biomedicine (I want to be a Science teacher though) and I knew someone last year who was AMAZING and after their first year of biomedicine, went onto study surgery. I forget which uni they went to, they typically got marks in the 80s in EVERYTHING though. =l
    Don't know if it makes a difference but she was an international student (from Russia) but she did transfer to another uni in the UK.

So, it can be done. I would phone around and start asking unis (preferably before you start Biomed to save on time next year) because, well, it's pretty late to start applying to medicine now given you need to get your application in for that around Christmas (at least I think it may even be before, sometime in November?), anyway, phone universities and ask if you can transfer onto a medicine course after your first year of Biomedicine. =)
    It can be done, you just have to do your research.
    I considered doing a PGCE after biomed to become a teacher if GEM doesn't work out but I think to be a teacher, you have to REALLY want to be one and not take it lightly so looks like I'll have more thinking to do. I'll look into my unis a bit more, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    hmm while I think that keeping GEM as an option isn't a bad idea, I do think it is a terrible idea to do a degree that is pointed at things to do with lab work (they are the skills you would gain after all) and definitely not want to work in a lab

Maybe consider doing a different degree? I mean not all GEM courses want a life science from what I remember when I was looking at it, though double check that as it may of changed (I was in a similar position to you)

That's what I thought! I'm thinking of trying to pick my course on how much lab work hours in the timetable and examinations on it. I'm just not a fan on lab work, I would like it if I actually got it right in class but that may be down to being inexperienced? I do sometimes wish I applied to just biology but prefer human biology over plants (ew). May I ask, what did you end up doing? thank you

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought! I'm thinking of trying to pick my course on how much lab work hours in the timetable and examinations on it. I'm just not a fan on lab work, I would like it if I actually got it right in class but that may be down to being inexperienced? I do sometimes wish I applied to just biology but prefer human biology over plants (ew). May I ask, what did you end up doing? thank you
    haha thats probably not how you should choose your course. Labs are very different at uni (for physics anyway). I always preferred human stuff too!

I ended up doing physics aha (I will hopefully either do phd, go into medical physics or do GEM)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    haha thats probably not how you should choose your course. Labs are very different at uni (for physics anyway). I always preferred human stuff too!

I ended up doing physics aha (I will hopefully either do phd, go into medical physics or do GEM)
    I honestly don't know how to pick a course right :sad: I'm scared of going to uni and finding out first term that I picked the wrong course and dropping out.

You preferred human stuff and went into physics? Dayum. I cannot do physics at all D: looks so hard. Good luck whether you choose a PhD or GEM (will still be called a doctor ) and medical physics sounds interesting!

ReputationRep:
    I considered doing a PGCE after biomed to become a teacher if GEM doesn't work out but I think to be a teacher, you have to REALLY want to be one and not take it lightly so looks like I'll have more thinking to do. I'll look into my unis a bit more, thank you!
    Initially I wanted to be a doctor (but when I started applying for sixth form, I was told my GCSE predicted grades alone wouldn't let me in given they were Bs and Cs), however, I was told they would be good enough for a male nurse.
    I was then looking into alternative methods of entry into medicine when I found Biomedicine, however, I then changed my mind mid-way through A levels and decided I wanted to be a teacher. I want to be a teacher because I REALLY like to teach and yes, I know secondary school kids can be little *hits.
    I am currently a TA in 2 different schools, one to a year 5 class and in the other, 3 hours a week to years 7-9. The year 7s are the worst, year 8s medicore and the year 9s the best class to teach.

So, I kinda know what I'm getting into but I think the pros outweigh the cons for me. =)

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't know how to pick a course right :sad: I'm scared of going to uni and finding out first term that I picked the wrong course and dropping out.

You preferred human stuff and went into physics? Dayum. I cannot do physics at all D: looks so hard. Good luck whether you choose a PhD or GEM (will still be called a doctor ) and medical physics sounds interesting!
    I would take a gap year then if im honest, theres no point in going to uni and not being sure about your course

I always loved physics and it fits into my top careers aha
    1. Doctor or physics researcher
    2. medical physicist
    3. quantitative researcher (requires a phd)
    4. anything to do with coding

ReputationRep:

If you want to be a doctor, I would kind of recommend year 1 of Biomedicine because there are two modules I did which I think are basically a form of medicine but may or may not be to medicine standard.

The modules were titled "Anatomy and Physiology" - basically A LOT of human anatomy and "Pathopysiology of disease" - a lot of diagnosis including anaemia, cancer, liver disease etc...

I would give your first year a go, it will see if you can do handle that first. I know courses vary from uni to uni but, the basics are kind of the same. =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.