Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i've recently been feeling really down about myself.

It all started when a really pretty, and thin friend of mine started talking about how ugly and fat she was, and, when I went home, for the first time ever, I looked at myself, and I saw myself for what I was, untalented, ugly and fat.

I've never been able to forget it, never been able to shake it off after that. Everywhere I go, the people I see, they're all better than me, they're all prettier, smarter, and I just feel like a huge failure. I see them, in their pretty shorts and sleeveless tank tops, and I have to pull my sleeves down, to hide my arms, suck my tummy in, to hide my stomach.

I hate myself, I disgust myself, I feel sick just looking at myself, and I'm just a big, fat, ugly piece of crap. My feelings have been really extreme, but there's no one I can talk about it to.

Which led me to have these extreme thoughts. And I know that I shouldn't be having them. I went through bulimia and anorexia for about 6 months, and I started losing hair and became anaemic.

If anyone has any advice, or similar experiences....please help me.........

(Original post by fandom-queen)

It all started when a really pretty, and thin friend of mine started talking about how ugly and fat she was, and, when I went home, for the first time ever, I looked at myself, and I saw myself for what I was, untalented, ugly and fat.

I've never been able to forget it, never been able to shake it off after that. Everywhere I go, the people I see, they're all better than me, they're all prettier, smarter, and I just feel like a huge failure. I see them, in their pretty shorts and sleeveless tank tops, and I have to pull my sleeves down, to hide my arms, suck my tummy in, to hide my stomach.

I hate myself, I disgust myself, I feel sick just looking at myself, and I'm just a big, fat, ugly piece of crap. My feelings have been really extreme, but there's no one I can talk about it to.

Which led me to have these extreme thoughts. And I know that I shouldn't be having them. I went through bulimia and anorexia for about 6 months, and I started losing hair and became anaemic.

First of all I am 1000% sure you are not fat, ugly or untalented. Really I have the same kind of problem except I am really skinny, which trust me does not look good. But I have accepted myself and moved on really.
    Do, wear and say the things YOU want to say...don't hide yourself up because you don't think you are worth it. Those beautiful people you see around...I'm sure they don't live perfect lives, behind every face is a dark secret.
    And don't put yourself through those terrible eating disorders, you know they do far more harm than good.

I realise that wasn't very good advice but I hope it helps!

ReputationRep:

Hi, I'm so sorry you're going through this, have you spoken to anyone about how you're feeling? A friend, family member, your gp? If not, please do so! The way you are feeling relates to the way many, many people feel but if it is affecting you this badly, you need a professional guide on how to get better. For now, I just want to let you know that while you may feel down about yourself, none of the things you have said are in any way true and you are a completely unique and valued human being! There will always be someone 'better' and 'worse' than us but the point of life is to do the things you love and accept yourself for who you are while improving upon yourself to make yourself happy. All of the things that you described are subjective anyway but you need to remember that you have so much to offer the world and no one can take that away from you! Never put yourself down, you wouldn't say those things to your best friend and you are your best friend! Like I said, please speak to someone, this situation is temporary and you can get past it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    First of all I am 1000% sure you are not fat, ugly or untalented. Really I have the same kind of problem except I am really skinny, which trust me does not look good. But I have accepted myself and moved on really.
    Do, wear and say the things YOU want to say...don't hide yourself up because you don't think you are worth it. Those beautiful people you see around...I'm sure they don't live perfect lives, behind every face is a dark secret.
    And don't put yourself through those terrible eating disorders, you know they do far more harm than good.
    I am, trust me, I am. It's just that you don't know me. If you did, you'd probably think the same.

I can't shake off the feeling, of feeling inferior and beneath everyone around me. Just feeling like you're not good enough, like you're the biggest failure in the room.

I know people have their demons, and I know they don't have perfect lives, but neither do I. And, it just kills me...........that I'm not good enough.

I stopped the disorders......I couldn't sustain them, they were feeding on my health.

Plus, I do like food a lot. In the end, nutella won........

ReputationRep:
    I realise that wasn't very good advice but I hope it helps!
    It's okay, you tried, at least

I am, trust me, I am. It's just that you don't know me. If you did, you'd probably think the same.

I can't shake off the feeling, of feeling inferior and beneath everyone around me. Just feeling like you're not good enough, like you're the biggest failure in the room.

I know people have their demons, and I know they don't have perfect lives, but neither do I. And, it just kills me...........that I'm not good enough.

I stopped the disorders......I couldn't sustain them, they were feeding on my health.

Plus, I do like food a lot. In the end, nutella won........
    nope, I wouldn't. Frankly everyone is different. If you want to change yourself so badly then maybe do some exercise (that really helps relieve stress as well)

Exactly no one has a perfect life including you! But I am sure you are good enough. And good enough for who anyway?

And nutella is the food of satan...

ReputationRep:
    Hey hun!

I went through bulimia about two years ago for like 6 months. I didn't lose hair like you but I had stomach problems and I felt weak pretty much all the time from purging. I literally hated the sight of food and I was annoyed and angry at myself because I wasn't skinny and pretty like other girls in my class. I still have massive insecurities over stuff like my belly and my marshmallow cheeks but I will say this:

It's all in your head when you think that you aren't pretty enough or skinny enough. You are good enough and you are beautiful. If you're looking at a girl and thinking, "Oh God I wish I had her legs", for all you know, she's thinking about you, "I wish I had her boobs". Its happened to me before. I was talking to one of my friends (I've been jel of her legs for ages) and she just looked at me and said, "I wish I had your nose and ass".

You have something others want. You just haven't realised it. Everyone has their own insecurities. Don't torture your body. Nobody's perfect.

Hope it helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Hi, I'm so sorry you're going through this, have you spoken to anyone about how you're feeling? A friend, family member, your gp? If not, please do so! The way you are feeling relates to the way many, many people feel but if it is affecting you this badly, you need a professional guide on how to get better. For now, I just want to let you know that while you may feel down about yourself, none of the things you have said are in any way true and you are a completely unique and valued human being! There will always be someone 'better' and 'worse' than us but the point of life is to do the things you love and accept yourself for who you are while improving upon yourself to make yourself happy. All of the things that you described are subjective anyway but you need to remember that you have so much to offer the world and no one can take that away from you! Never put yourself down, you wouldn't say those things to your best friend and you are your best friend! Like I said, please speak to someone, this situation is temporary and you can get past it
    There really isn't. My parents wouldn't understand, and my friends would just laugh it off as fishing for compliments.....but it's not. It is not. I don't deserve any false compliments the world has to offer. Whenever I'm with my friends, people just look at me with pity, and that hurts. It hurts alot.

I confessed to this guy I liked recently, and he flat out laughed behind my back. And the worst thing is, I feel like I deserved it, like I'm not worthy of him......basically, not pretty enough.

Whenever I speak of these things, people always tell me, personality matters and stuff, but, is it really that wrong to want to be pretty? To have someone walk up to you and say, I think you're really nice, or, I love the way you smile.

ReputationRep:
    nope, I wouldn't. Frankly everyone is different. If you want to change yourself so badly then maybe do some exercise (that really helps relieve stress as well)

Exactly no one has a perfect life including you! But I am sure you are good enough. And good enough for who anyway?

And nutella is the food of satan...
    Read the following reply I wrote to Blondie, you'll understand who.

Yeah, I do exercise, I go swimming, and tbh, it does keep me going. I'm still sceptical about what you'd think though.......

Nutella is the forbidden apple. Mark my words, when cocoa beans are a rarity, wars will be fought over nutella.

ReputationRep:
    There really isn't. My parents wouldn't understand, and my friends would just laugh it off as fishing for compliments.....but it's not. It is not. I don't deserve any false compliments the world has to offer. Whenever I'm with my friends, people just look at me with pity, and that hurts. It hurts alot.

I confessed to this guy I liked recently, and he flat out laughed behind my back. And the worst thing is, I feel like I deserved it, like I'm not worthy of him......basically, not pretty enough.

Whenever I speak of these things, people always tell me, personality matters and stuff, but, is it really that wrong to want to be pretty? To have someone walk up to you and say, I think you're really nice, or, I love the way you smile.
    Please speak to your gp, these thoughts go further than they should and you need help getting past them, if your parents wouldn't understand (which they might) you still need to tell someone so they can help you. You shouldn't be measuring yourself up to anyone's standards, but there is nothing wrong with setting personal standards of appearance, personality etc. But it shouldn't come down to a point of not liking yourself, you should always be your biggest fan and there is absolutely no reason for you to feel bad about yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Hey hun!

I went through bulimia about two years ago for like 6 months. I didn't lose hair like you but I had stomach problems and I felt weak pretty much all the time from purging. I literally hated the sight of food and I was annoyed and angry at myself because I wasn't skinny and pretty like other girls in my class. I still have massive insecurities over stuff like my belly and my marshmallow cheeks but I will say this:

It's all in your head when you think that you aren't pretty enough or skinny enough. You are good enough and you are beautiful. If you're looking at a girl and thinking, "Oh God I wish I had her legs", for all you know, she's thinking about you, "I wish I had her boobs". Its happened to me before. I was talking to one of my friends (I've been jel of her legs for ages) and she just looked at me and said, "I wish I had your nose and ass".

You have something others want. You just haven't realised it. Everyone has their own insecurities. Don't torture your body. Nobody's perfect.

Hope it helped!
    I guess it makes me feel a bit better. But I don't see anything my friends would want, I don't have any good features.

I'm sorry to hear about your bulimia (although, who am I to talk ) I hope you're okay now.

ReputationRep:
    Please speak to your gp, these thoughts go further than they should and you need help getting past them, if your parents wouldn't understand (which they might) you still need to tell someone so they can help you. You shouldn't be measuring yourself up to anyone's standards, but there is nothing wrong with setting personal standards of appearance, personality etc. But it should t come down to a point of not liking yourself, you should always be your biggest fan and there is absolutely no reason for you to feel bad about yourself
    Yeah....I should, but I don't.

I just can't talk about it. It's like, when someone comes and asks me....I just mute.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah....I should, but I don't.

I just can't talk about it. It's like, when someone comes and asks me....I just mute.
    have you tried writing it down?

Please speak to your gp, these thoughts go further than they should and you need help getting past them, if your parents wouldn't understand (which they might) you still need to tell someone so they can help you. You shouldn't be measuring yourself up to anyone's standards, but there is nothing wrong with setting personal standards of appearance, personality etc. But it should t come down to a point of not liking yourself, you should always be your biggest fan and there is absolutely no reason for you to feel bad about yourself
    fandom-queen
    I see...
    Here I agree with Blondie, that maybe you should go to a GP, maybe be referred to a psychiatrist or a counselor or something. Because really these negative thoughts are not good, and like in a lot of cases could lead to something terrible.

Definitely keep swimming, start other sports too...these do seem to help you.
    And what are you sceptical about?

ReputationRep:
    This

ReputationRep:
    have you tried writing it down?
    I write poetry.....pretty personal. Umm, so yeah, I have. It makes me feel better. When I have these thoughts, I read them again, and, ngl, I feel better.

ReputationRep:
    I write poetry.....pretty personal. Umm, so yeah, I have. It makes me feel better. When I have these thoughts, I read them again, and, ngl, I feel better.
    Definitely continue with that then , but I would recommend just writing down exactly how you feel and why you think that is etc. Then when you speak to someone about it, you'll know exactly what to say

ReputationRep:
    fandom-queen
    I see...
    Here I agree with Blondie, that maybe you should go to a GP, maybe be referred to a psychiatrist or a counselor or something. Because really these negative thoughts are not good, and like in a lot of cases could lead to something terrible.

Definitely keep swimming, start other sports too...these do seem to help you.
    And what are you sceptical about?
    Yeah, it's pretty sensible advice.

And dw, I'll probably fail at suicide too, like, try to jump off and realise I still have a box of chocolates in the freezer.

And whoosh, there goes my resolve to kill myself.

ReputationRep:
    And apparently I'm the only idiot who keeps chocolate in the freezer. I meant fridge.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.