Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    fandom-queen
    I see...
    Here I agree with Blondie, that maybe you should go to a GP, maybe be referred to a psychiatrist or a counselor or something. Because really these negative thoughts are not good, and like in a lot of cases could lead to something terrible.

Definitely keep swimming, start other sports too...these do seem to help you.
    And what are you sceptical about?
    To answer your question, I'm sceptical that you wouldn't think I'm ugly.

Also, I think you're kinda cute, so, YOU should not have any insecurities

(Original post by fandom-queen)
    Yeah, it's pretty sensible advice.

And dw, I'll probably fail at suicide too, like, try to jump off and realise I still have a box of chocolates in the freezer.

And whoosh, there goes my resolve to kill myself.
    And apparently I'm the only idiot who keeps chocolate in the freezer. I meant fridge.
    :rofl:
    I shouldn't laugh at a serious thread...

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:
    I shouldn't laugh at a serious thread...
    Hey, I like making people laugh, so, that's the nicest thing you could say to me

Also, I'm being completely serious.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your parents of guardian. Tell your doctor

To answer your question, I'm sceptical that you wouldn't think I'm ugly.

Also, I think you're kinda cute, so, YOU should not have any insecurities

Ok, I'm not saying I am insecure...more about my body than anything else. I am so skinny, that it's not even funny.
    But enough about me...I'm not that superficial and think you are ugly

ReputationRep:
    i've recently been feeling really down about myself.

It all started when a really pretty, and thin friend of mine started talking about how ugly and fat she was, and, when I went home, for the first time ever, I looked at myself, and I saw myself for what I was, untalented, ugly and fat.

I've never been able to forget it, never been able to shake it off after that. Everywhere I go, the people I see, they're all better than me, they're all prettier, smarter, and I just feel like a huge failure. I see them, in their pretty shorts and sleeveless tank tops, and I have to pull my sleeves down, to hide my arms, suck my tummy in, to hide my stomach.

I hate myself, I disgust myself, I feel sick just looking at myself, and I'm just a big, fat, ugly piece of crap. My feelings have been really extreme, but there's no one I can talk about it to.

Which led me to have these extreme thoughts. And I know that I shouldn't be having them. I went through bulimia and anorexia for about 6 months, and I started losing hair and became anaemic.

If anyone has any advice, or similar experiences....please help me.........
    You can blame societies ridiculous beauty standards.

ReputationRep:
    I believe wholeheartedly that you are not ugly, not fat and not untalented. You can do so many things, and you mean so much to so many people. Don't kid yourself about how worthless you are, because that's a blatant lie.

I'm glad you've felt able to tell us about it, but the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to take it a step further. Book an appointment with your GP or anything similar and tell them about it. They can refer you to someone who knows how to treat this, and it CAN and WILL get better. If you feel you need to take someone with you, do it. I guarantee that if you tell your friends the things you've just told us that they will be willing to do just about anything to help you. I would for my friends, and frankly right now I would for you as well because it sounds like you need it. Honestly, please just go now to your GP's website and book in an appointment. Set an alarm on your phone so you don't forget about it. This IS a serious matter and you have to treat it as such. I understand that society doesn't talk about this stuff, that there are prejudices against it. That is wrong, and has to change, but for now you have to be extremely brave, like I know you can be. I have total faith in you.

As for other advice (which I emphasise CANNOT replace seeing a professional), every time you look at yourself in a mirror/photo, say to yourself, out loud, "I am beautiful," even if you don't believe. Especially if you don't believe it. Every single time. Start today. Start now. Please. "I am beautiful." Say it when you don't believe it's true, say it when you are at your worst. Write it on a note and put it in your diary. Put it under your pillow. Because you are beautiful, and you DESERVE to know that, and most of all you deserve to believe it. If you can, engage with your interests, fandom-queen. So make fanart, write fanfics, or songs.

But please, please, please, remember that you are beautiful, intelligent, talented, and most of all loved.

Hello

I know exactly what you are going through.
    I was diagnosed with bulimia and anorexia in 2012. As of now I am bulimia free but I am still struggling with anorexia (after relapsing). I wrote a post about my struggle with it here. If that'll help.

I know what it feels like to look in a mirror and feel nothing but disgust. I hate them. When I see my body I lose my appetite. It's weird because deep down I know I'm really not fat but knowing and feeling something are two different things. That's why it's a mental health issue.
    My albinism makes it worse. I look weird. I live in a place where the majority of people are black and it's hard not to feel like you stick out and you're not a complete freak. I have white skin but with black features. Not sure if you can imagine that but to me it's really ****ing weird and it's difficult to deal with looking at myself. There are a few people (mostly online) that have said I'm good looking but I've never believed them. That's the thing. No matter how many compliments you get, if you think you look like a pile of crap no one can convince you otherwise.

What I've learned over the years and what helps me cope is the fact that even if I was someone else, someone prettier and thinner, I'd still be me. I'd still have my mental health issues and my low self esteem. I could be Emma Watson and I'd still probably hate myself.
    You can't be anyone else except the person you are. Even if you have features that make you less attractive than the next person those are still your features. It's what sets you apart. You can't run away from yourself so you have to just accept it. This is how you look. There isn't much you can do about it. When you start learning to love who you are as a person, how you look will start to matter less.
    It's difficult I know, and I can barely take my own advice but it's the honest truth.

Sorry for this being so long but I can relate so much

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I like making people laugh, so, that's the nicest thing you could say to me

Also, I'm being completely serious.
    Just breezed through this topic...

Now then. What about this ugly, fat, untalented person? "I like making people laugh"... how many of these "beautiful" people can say that? How many of them can DO that? Shods to what you look like... in the end, whoever thinks that way... can only ever love you skin deep. Those that look beyond your looks and see your personality, are the ones who can truly love you.

With all due respect... how old are you? I imagine a teen... in which case, really... don't bother with anything anyone says... teenagers these days look at FHM magazines and think that's how they look just because they bought one of the recommended products and use it... and everyone else is inferior. You've become paranoid because someone told you something that may/may not be true at all... as a result you've created an image of yourself which is inferior to everyone else.

I used to be the same... with my own family - parents and siblings included, telling me how ugly I am... and how embarrassing I am to be around in public... still gets to me, but a lot less than before. And what do you know... as I grew up and started working, and as my siblings grew up and became real adults... they now understand and accept me for who I am... and that I am not inferior looking to them... and people at work have claimed that I look quite good...

Back to you though, I am confident that you have more to offer to this world than your skin... much more than what can be said about these people calling you ugly, that's for sure.

I'm so sorry that you feel like that:hugs: Just remember that everyone is different and life would be very boring if everyone looked exactly the same. I'm positive that there is something good about you that most others don't have. You don't have to have obvious talents or good looks to be worth something. You do your best to be a kind, good and humourous person and be proud of yourself. THAT is what matters in life. STOP comparing yourself badly to other girls, it is a soul-eating cycle. If you must compare yourself, only think of the good things like "Oh I bet that girl doesn't have a sense of humour as good as mine" or "i bet she isn't as down to earth as me" etc etc.

Oh and despite being a size 8, even I look at my belly and think, Jesus, you'd think I was pregnant. Sooooooo few people actually have flat stomachs, I can tell you that now. :yy:

ReputationRep:

Ok, I'm not saying I am insecure...more about my body than anything else. I am so skinny, that it's not even funny.
    But enough about me...I'm not that superficial and think you are ugly
    Yeah, but, skinny suits some guys. Like, I can't imagine a buff Jesse Eisenberg.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were superficial I've just met far too many people claiming to be like you, and then in real life, turn out to be as judgemental as Simon Cowell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabAbs)
    You can blame societies ridiculous beauty standards.
    Some times, I feel as though I'm the only one who doesn't meet the standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    If you feel like you can't talk to anyone, we're here :hugs: (you can PM me anytime).
    Have you tried drawing? Drawing what you feel might be easier than physically write words that can't be found at times, even if it's just a scribble :rofl:

You just need to know that you don't need to comply with others standards but your own. What matters is that you feel beautiful. Try not to compare yourself to others, I know it's hard but do refrain from doing so. Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't beautiful and special.

"even if you are a small forest surviving off moon alone.

Your light is extraordinary"
    yeah, I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it

Thanks, but I can't draw. No, I'm serious, Munch's scream painting was basically a reaction to my artistic skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisnotholly)
    I believe wholeheartedly that you are not ugly, not fat and not untalented. You can do so many things, and you mean so much to so many people. Don't kid yourself about how worthless you are, because that's a blatant lie.

I'm glad you've felt able to tell us about it, but the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to take it a step further. Book an appointment with your GP or anything similar and tell them about it. They can refer you to someone who knows how to treat this, and it CAN and WILL get better. If you feel you need to take someone with you, do it. I guarantee that if you tell your friends the things you've just told us that they will be willing to do just about anything to help you. I would for my friends, and frankly right now I would for you as well because it sounds like you need it. Honestly, please just go now to your GP's website and book in an appointment. Set an alarm on your phone so you don't forget about it. This IS a serious matter and you have to treat it as such. I understand that society doesn't talk about this stuff, that there are prejudices against it. That is wrong, and has to change, but for now you have to be extremely brave, like I know you can be. I have total faith in you.

As for other advice (which I emphasise CANNOT replace seeing a professional), every time you look at yourself in a mirror/photo, say to yourself, out loud, "I am beautiful," even if you don't believe. Especially if you don't believe it. Every single time. Start today. Start now. Please. "I am beautiful." Say it when you don't believe it's true, say it when you are at your worst. Write it on a note and put it in your diary. Put it under your pillow. Because you are beautiful, and you DESERVE to know that, and most of all you deserve to believe it. If you can, engage with your interests, fandom-queen. So make fanart, write fanfics, or songs.

But please, please, please, remember that you are beautiful, intelligent, talented, and most of all loved.
    This is one of the nicest things I've read all day. It's sad that, IRL, I don't know many people like you ^.^

ReputationRep:
    Some times, I feel as though I'm the only one who doesn't meet the standards.
    Sadly none of us meet the standards. Being a woman is good enough in my eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    Hello

I know exactly what you are going through.
    I was diagnosed with bulimia and anorexia in 2012. As of now I am bulimia free but I am still struggling with anorexia (after relapsing). I wrote a post about my struggle with it here. If that'll help.

I know what it feels like to look in a mirror and feel nothing but disgust. I hate them. When I see my body I lose my appetite. It's weird because deep down I know I'm really not fat but knowing and feeling something are two different things. That's why it's a mental health issue.
    My albinism makes it worse. I look weird. I live in a place where the majority of people are black and it's hard not to feel like you stick out and you're not a complete freak. I have white skin but with black features. Not sure if you can imagine that but to me it's really ****ing weird and it's difficult to deal with looking at myself. There are a few people (mostly online) that have said I'm good looking but I've never believed them. That's the thing. No matter how many compliments you get, if you think you look like a pile of crap no one can convince you otherwise.

What I've learned over the years and what helps me cope is the fact that even if I was someone else, someone prettier and thinner, I'd still be me. I'd still have my mental health issues and my low self esteem. I could be Emma Watson and I'd still probably hate myself.
    You can't be anyone else except the person you are. Even if you have features that make you less attractive than the next person those are still your features. It's what sets you apart. You can't run away from yourself so you have to just accept it. This is how you look. There isn't much you can do about it. When you start learning to love who you are as a person, how you look will start to matter less.
    It's difficult I know, and I can barely take my own advice but it's the honest truth.

Sorry for this being so long but I can relate so much
    Thank you, there's nothing nicer knowing that someone has been through the same crap I've been through. I've never had albinism, but I know two of the most pretty people, who do. I'm sure you're beautiful, just not so convinced about myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brijmohan3)
    Just breezed through this topic...

Now then. What about this ugly, fat, untalented person? "I like making people laugh"... how many of these "beautiful" people can say that? How many of them can DO that? Shods to what you look like... in the end, whoever thinks that way... can only ever love you skin deep. Those that look beyond your looks and see your personality, are the ones who can truly love you.

With all due respect... how old are you? I imagine a teen... in which case, really... don't bother with anything anyone says... teenagers these days look at FHM magazines and think that's how they look just because they bought one of the recommended products and use it... and everyone else is inferior. You've become paranoid because someone told you something that may/may not be true at all... as a result you've created an image of yourself which is inferior to everyone else.

I used to be the same... with my own family - parents and siblings included, telling me how ugly I am... and how embarrassing I am to be around in public... still gets to me, but a lot less than before. And what do you know... as I grew up and started working, and as my siblings grew up and became real adults... they now understand and accept me for who I am... and that I am not inferior looking to them... and people at work have claimed that I look quite good...

Back to you though, I am confident that you have more to offer to this world than your skin... much more than what can be said about these people calling you ugly, that's for sure.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I DO love making people smile, and I guess it's easier making them laugh than letting them see me cry. I know that sounds so MELODRAMATIC, and, the front I put on is detached and crass. But I'm not. I may have a sassy comeback for the guy who calls me fat, but I go home, and I cry. I cry daily.

Yeah, I am a teenager, the quintessential 16 going on 17 girl.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    I'm so sorry that you feel like that:hugs: Just remember that everyone is different and life would be very boring if everyone looked exactly the same. I'm positive that there is something good about you that most others don't have. You don't have to have obvious talents or good looks to be worth something. You do your best to be a kind, good and humourous person and be proud of yourself. THAT is what matters in life. STOP comparing yourself badly to other girls, it is a soul-eating cycle. If you must compare yourself, only think of the good things like "Oh I bet that girl doesn't have a sense of humour as good as mine" or "i bet she isn't as down to earth as me" etc etc.

Oh and despite being a size 8, even I look at my belly and think, Jesus, you'd think I was pregnant. Sooooooo few people actually have flat stomachs, I can tell you that now. :yy:
    I try to be a good person. I want to, at least, be the best I can be in that department. But the rest.....is a mess. I've just recently realised that grabbing your flesh and pinching it with frustration till you scream, is not okay.

But thank you, it means a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabAbs)
    Sadly none of us meet the standards. Being a woman is good enough in my eyes.
    says the guy with the "fab abs"

ReputationRep:
    says the guy with the "fab abs"
    I still don't feel I'm good enough, that's why I continue to work out and use various drugs to do so. I have accepted, that although other people may see my body as 'amazing', i never will. The struggle is forever. I might appear confident but take me out of a social situation and you would see im not.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.