Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just calm it. Stop thinking, have some bacon and scrambled eggs, drink some wine and go for a swim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabAbs)
    I still don't feel I'm good enough, that's why I continue to work out and use various drugs to do so. I have accepted, that although other people may see my body as 'amazing', i never will. The struggle is forever. I might appear confident but take me out of a social situation and you would see im not.
    Yeah. I guess that's how it is for a lot of people. please don't use steroids, I've heard so many bad things about them.

(Original post by fandom-queen)
    yeah, I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it

Thanks, but I can't draw. No, I'm serious, Munch's scream painting was basically a reaction to my artistic skills.
    That's okay, as humans we tend to do that. But you need to know that you are beautiful and special and awesome and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise, especially yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Just calm it. Stop thinking, have some bacon and scrambled eggs, drink some wine and go for a swim.
    Yes to everything except the wine. I don't know if it's legal for me. yes, I'm a goody two-shoes as well.

Also, you're not helping! I have weight issues you know! Now I want bacon and scrambled eggs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    That's okay, as humans we tend to do that. But you need to know that you are beautiful and special and awesome and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise, especially yourself.
    Yeah. I just hope it's not too extreme.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I guess that's how it is for a lot of people. please don't use steroids, I've heard so many bad things about them.
    Yeah well it's too late for that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes to everything except the wine. I don't know if it's legal for me. yes, I'm a goody two-shoes as well.

Also, you're not helping! I have weight issues you know! Now I want bacon and scrambled eggs.
    Do you have scientific weight issues (as in do you have an irregular BMI?) Otherwise just ignore it. Most of the people that are 'so much better than you' are just pawns in the rat race who live under constant stress because they need the approval of others, don't be one of those suckers, just enjoy your life.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well it's too late for that.
    No, it's not! Please, don't, I mean working out's great, but, how long do you think you can keep this going?

It may seem okay now, but you're going to pay for it when you're old.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Says the girl who was anorexic..........That's why I STOPPED.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Do you have scientific weight issues (as in do you have an irregular BMI?) Otherwise just ignore it. Most of the people that are 'so much better than you' are just pawns in the rat race who live under constant stress because they need the approval of others, don't be one of those suckers, just enjoy your life.
    I think my BMI falls under normal, but, i DEFINITELY don't look normal. I look really fat.

I want to, but those suckers are a constant slap to my face on how inferior I am

ReputationRep:
    I think my BMI falls under normal, but, i DEFINITELY don't look normal. I look really fat.

I want to, but those suckers are a constant slap to my face on how inferior I am
    I don't see how this benefits you in any way, I know it's easy for me to just sit here and say relax but it does work.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not! Please, don't, I mean working out's great, but, how long do you think you can keep this going?

It may seem okay now, but you're going to pay for it when you're old.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Says the girl who was anorexic..........That's why I STOPPED.
    I have spent 2/3 years going to the gym. 5-6 times a week for period of upto 3 hours. The extra size and strength drugs have given me is immense. To simply stop using would be debilitating and i hate to think of the effects it would have mentally as well as physically.

ReputationRep:
    i've recently been feeling really down about myself.

It all started when a really pretty, and thin friend of mine started talking about how ugly and fat she was, and, when I went home, for the first time ever, I looked at myself, and I saw myself for what I was, untalented, ugly and fat.

I've never been able to forget it, never been able to shake it off after that. Everywhere I go, the people I see, they're all better than me, they're all prettier, smarter, and I just feel like a huge failure. I see them, in their pretty shorts and sleeveless tank tops, and I have to pull my sleeves down, to hide my arms, suck my tummy in, to hide my stomach.

I hate myself, I disgust myself, I feel sick just looking at myself, and I'm just a big, fat, ugly piece of crap. My feelings have been really extreme, but there's no one I can talk about it to.

Which led me to have these extreme thoughts. And I know that I shouldn't be having them. I went through bulimia and anorexia for about 6 months, and I started losing hair and became anaemic.

If anyone has any advice, or similar experiences....please help me.........
    It sounds to me like you really need to stop comparing yourself to other people. Realise that you are never going to be anybody else but at the same time nobody else can be you.

You talk about things like feeling fat and how its bringing you down but just remember that these are all transitory things that you can change if you put your mind to it. But before you can commit yourself to something like this you need to get rid of these extreme reactions to how your feeling about yourself. Just try to rationalise it with "okay, I'm feeling pretty crappy now, but I'm going to work hard in the present so that I don't feel crappy in the future". Its all about breaking that self-perpetuating cycle of self-hatred which leads to more unhealthy thought processes which in turn leads to even more self-hatred, etc.

I hope you overcome this and realise you won't always feel this way

ReputationRep:
    I have spent 2/3 years going to the gym. 5-6 times a week for period of upto 3 hours. The extra size and strength drugs have given me is immense. To simply stop using would be debilitating and i hate to think of the effects it would have mentally as well as physically.
    Is there no alternative? can't you ease yourself away from them?

ReputationRep:

We all see ourselves through a funhouse mirror. We think our nose is too big or too thin, our eyes too narrow or eyebrows too bushy.

When I became a Dad, I learned a trick and it's something I'd like you to try.

One day, you are most likely going to be a mother. You may have a daughter who has the same issues as you and thinks the same way(In fact, it's probable). It may be that you facing these issues will give you the courage and strength to help your own children.

Look in the mirror and, with that in mind, imagine the image looking back at you is your daughter - She will probably look very much like you. Love that image like you would your own daughter(Or like I do my own child) and imagine her saying the same things you say to yourself.

What would you say to yourself? If you take yourself out of the equation, you'll see you are beautiful and wonderful and that the funhouse mirror you see is nothing more than an illusion. Know you are loved and you are worthy of that love.

As a Dad, that's the advice I'd give my own daughter if she was worried. Then, I would hug her and tell her everything was going to be okay and I would mean it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markreed)
    It sounds to me like you really need to stop comparing yourself to other people. Realise that you are never going to be anybody else but at the same time nobody else can be you.

You talk about things like feeling fat and how its bringing you down but just remember that these are all transitory things that you can change if you put your mind to it. But before you can commit yourself to something like this you need to get rid of these extreme reactions to how your feeling about yourself. Just try to rationalise it with "okay, I'm feeling pretty crappy now, but I'm going to work hard in the present so that I don't feel crappy in the future". Its all about breaking that self-perpetuating cycle of self-hatred which leads to more unhealthy thought processes which in turn leads to even more self-hatred, etc.

I hope you overcome this and realise you won't always feel this way
    Yeah....you're probably right.

Thing is, I know that even if i do lose weight, or something, I still won't be good enough, and, in the back of my mind, my head's just saying "What's the point?"

That make sense? :/

ReputationRep:
    I guess it makes me feel a bit better. But I don't see anything my friends would want, I don't have any good features.

I'm sorry to hear about your bulimia (although, who am I to talk ) I hope you're okay now.
    We've been forced to think like that hun. You do have something.

Thanks haha

ReputationRep:
    i've recently been feeling really down about myself.

It all started when a really pretty, and thin friend of mine started talking about how ugly and fat she was, and, when I went home, for the first time ever, I looked at myself, and I saw myself for what I was, untalented, ugly and fat.

I've never been able to forget it, never been able to shake it off after that. Everywhere I go, the people I see, they're all better than me, they're all prettier, smarter, and I just feel like a huge failure. I see them, in their pretty shorts and sleeveless tank tops, and I have to pull my sleeves down, to hide my arms, suck my tummy in, to hide my stomach.

I hate myself, I disgust myself, I feel sick just looking at myself, and I'm just a big, fat, ugly piece of crap. My feelings have been really extreme, but there's no one I can talk about it to.

Which led me to have these extreme thoughts. And I know that I shouldn't be having them. I went through bulimia and anorexia for about 6 months, and I started losing hair and became anaemic.

If anyone has any advice, or similar experiences....please help me.........
    Make an appointment with your GP! They're there to help you. Tell them all of your symptoms, no matter how trivial you may think they are.

believe it or not, but everyone is beautiful in their own way (looking at you girl) dw about other people!!!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    We all see ourselves through a funhouse mirror. We think our nose is too big or too thin, our eyes too narrow or eyebrows too bushy.

When I became a Dad, I learned a trick and it's something I'd like you to try.

One day, you are most likely going to be a mother. You may have a daughter who has the same issues as you and thinks the same way(In fact, it's probable). It may be that you facing these issues will give you the courage and strength to help your own children.

Look in the mirror and, with that in mind, imagine the image looking back at you is your daughter - She will probably look very much like you. Love that image like you would your own daughter(Or like I do my own child) and imagine her saying the same things you say to yourself.

What would you say to yourself? If you take yourself out of the equation, you'll see you are beautiful and wonderful and that the funhouse mirror you see is nothing more than an illusion. Know you are loved and you are worthy of that love.

As a Dad, that's the advice I'd give my own daughter if she was worried. Then, I would hug her and tell her everything was going to be okay and I would mean it.
    Yes, absolutely. I think you've given me an interesting perspective to ponder, a father's.

I remember there was this one time when my father kicked me out of the house because I was overdoing things, but then, at night, I heard him breaking down, and telling my mum, that, he'd lost a lot of people, and he didn't want me to be one of them,

I pray your daughter grows up happier than me. I'm sure she'll grow up to be a strong, beautiful young woman.

Also, since you have a daughter, and you're a father, best of luck, you're going to need it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mjcal1)
    Make an appointment with your GP! They're there to help you. Tell them all of your symptoms, no matter how trivial you may think they are.

believe it or not, but everyone is beautiful in their own way (looking at you girl) dw about other people!!!

Good luck!
    Yeah, thanks. Maybe, I'll start with changing my profile picture tomorrow. I've refrained from that, simply because I was scared people would laugh at me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah....you're probably right.

Thing is, I know that even if i do lose weight, or something, I still won't be good enough, and, in the back of my mind, my head's just saying "What's the point?"

That make sense? :/
    It makes complete sense.

I think you need to think about who your trying to be "good enough" for. Is it friends, family, the opposite/same sex? In my opinion it shouldn't be for anybody but yourself. At the end of the day you yourself are the only individual who will be there for you 100% of the time. You need to be there for yourself when life gets tough and everyone else is too wrapped up in there own life to give a damn.

Take a look in the mirror and try to look at yourself as a stranger. Now try calling yourself "fat, ugly, worthless". You wouldn't call someone else those things so why do it to yourself? I know its cliche, but you need to start loving yourself more first and things like good self-esteem, healthy thoughts and feelings of self-worth will eventually follow.

I think everyday you should try and look at the mirror and tell your reflection something you like about your appearance/personality. It might seem weird at first, but the compliments will make you feel good and you will start realising things that you do in fact like about yourself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.