Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by fandom-queen)
    Yeah. I just hope it's not too extreme.
    It won't be if you don't want it to be.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thanks. Maybe, I'll start with changing my profile picture tomorrow. I've refrained from that, simply because I was scared people would laugh at me.
    Totally do it! All of us here are behind you 100%!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markreed)
    It makes complete sense.

I think you need to think about who your trying to be "good enough" for. Is it friends, family, the opposite/same sex? In my opinion it shouldn't be for anybody but yourself. At the end of the day you yourself are the only individual who will be there for you 100% of the time. You need to be there for yourself when life gets tough and everyone else is too wrapped up in there own life to give a damn.

Take a look in the mirror and try to look at yourself as a stranger. Now try calling yourself "fat, ugly, worthless". You wouldn't call someone else those things so why do it to yourself? I know its cliche, but you need to start loving yourself more first and things like good self-esteem, healthy thoughts and feelings of self-worth will eventually follow.

I think everyday you should try and look at the mirror and tell your reflection something you like about your appearance/personality. It might seem weird at first, but the compliments will make you feel good and you will start realising things that you do in fact like about yourself.
    Yeah, maybe I will try that, I want to love myself, but I feel like I can't.

Thank you, so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    It won't be if you don't want it to be.
    Yeah, I don't want it to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisnotholly)
    Totally do it! All of us here are behind you 100%!
    Really? You mean it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metroboomin)
    *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metroboomin)
    Look at your silly problems. Taking the absolute mick go and do your hw
    Hey, my hw's done, okay!? I have genuine problems, and this is my free time, so hah! Joke's on you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, my hw's done, okay!? I have genuine problems, and this is my free time, so hah! Joke's on you!
    atleast you're not black

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheYearNiner)
    atleast you're not black
    I'm brown, so yeah.....not in a better situation buddy........

ReputationRep:
    Really? You mean it?
    Honestly, I do. And if there was anything more I could do to show you how important you are, I would.

(BTW- ignore the haters. You're absolutely right; your problems are genuine)
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    i've recently been feeling really down about myself.

It all started when a really pretty, and thin friend of mine started talking about how ugly and fat she was, and, when I went home, for the first time ever, I looked at myself, and I saw myself for what I was, untalented, ugly and fat.

I've never been able to forget it, never been able to shake it off after that. Everywhere I go, the people I see, they're all better than me, they're all prettier, smarter, and I just feel like a huge failure. I see them, in their pretty shorts and sleeveless tank tops, and I have to pull my sleeves down, to hide my arms, suck my tummy in, to hide my stomach.

I hate myself, I disgust myself, I feel sick just looking at myself, and I'm just a big, fat, ugly piece of crap. My feelings have been really extreme, but there's no one I can talk about it to.

Which led me to have these extreme thoughts. And I know that I shouldn't be having them. I went through bulimia and anorexia for about 6 months, and I started losing hair and became anaemic.

If anyone has any advice, or similar experiences....please help me.........
    I've heard you, you are talented. I can't offer any advice, but I sure as hell cam be the digital shoulder to cryon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I DO love making people smile, and I guess it's easier making them laugh than letting them see me cry. I know that sounds so MELODRAMATIC, and, the front I put on is detached and crass. But I'm not. I may have a sassy comeback for the guy who calls me fat, but I go home, and I cry. I cry daily.

Yeah, I am a teenager, the quintessential 16 going on 17 girl.........
    A guy - sorry if you mentioned this before in the original post, but... a guy... commenting about a girl...

Enough said to be honest. I am 99.99999% sure that this guy looks at magazines, drools over the size 0 full plastic covered girls on them and thinks every girl should look like that. Honestly, take no notice of what he says... be happy with what and who you are. If anything, just opt for a healthy lifestyle - that salad will always be better than a McDonalds... and your body will thank you for choosing the salad and reward you with a healthier feel and brighter smile!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I've heard you, you are talented. I can't offer any advice, but I sure as hell cam be the digital shoulder to cryon

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, sometimes, a shoulder to cry on is exactly what I need

I mentioned in that post too that people did say sometimes that I wasn't good enough. I just.....let them get to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheYearNiner)
    atleast you're not black
    Wait, I'm sorry! That post was not meant for you! There was this other poster who was like "shut up, and go do your hw" This was for him.

I understand what it's like though, I'm not pretty or white, like Emma Watson and stuff.....It's depressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brijmohan3)
    A guy - sorry if you mentioned this before in the original post, but... a guy... commenting about a girl...

Enough said to be honest. I am 99.99999% sure that this guy looks at magazines, drools over the size 0 full plastic covered girls on them and thinks every girl should look like that. Honestly, take no notice of what he says... be happy with what and who you are. If anything, just opt for a healthy lifestyle - that salad will always be better than a McDonalds... and your body will thank you for choosing the salad and reward you with a healthier feel and brighter smile!
    Yeah, I just feel slightly depressed inside. The front I put on is not who i am, and I don't think people know that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I just feel slightly depressed inside. The front I put on is not who i am, and I don't think people know that.
    I identify with that. When you have mental health problems you have to put on a front. It is not being fake or trying hard it's just sometimes it's hard to know how to act. Like how does a normal person act? Then acting becomes part of you so it's second nature and then it's harder for people to align the external representation with what you are going through inside your head. The paralysis and helplessness that underpin mental health issues are very hard for others to understand and sometimes it is easier to keep the act on because you're scared of who you are and the mental illness defining you.

ReputationRep:
    Is this it? I thought you supported UKIP for a moment there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    I identify with that. When you have mental health problems you have to put on a front. It is not being fake or trying hard it's just sometimes it's hard to know how to act. Like how does a normal person act? Then acting becomes part of you so it's second nature and then it's harder for people to align the external representation with what you are going through inside your head. The paralysis and helplessness that underpin mental health issues are very hard for others to understand and sometimes it is easier to keep the act on because you're scared of who you are and the mental illness defining you.
    I know. I know you understand. I read the thread you posted of the Oxford, mental health thing. I didn't comment, as i knew it would possibly be lost among the many others, but I tell you now, that thread was what gave me courage to talk about my own problems.

So thank you, thank you so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Is this it? I thought you supported UKIP for a moment there
    I'm depressed, not crazy.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    I know. I know you understand. I read the thread you posted of the Oxford, mental health thing. I didn't comment, as i knew it would possibly be lost among the many others, but I tell you now, that thread was what gave me courage to talk about my own problems.

So thank you, thank you so much.
    Omg. I just left you a VM telling you to read it. The fact you said that- means the absolute world to me. Have you read the one on antidepressants?

Tbph I am struggling right now. Even when I'm fine and not in a complete dip I still have ups and downs but generally I can deal with them. In a way I think it's good because I know the medication isn't completely suppressing stuff and just hiding how I feel. It's generally helping me to deal with how I feel.

Honestly keep being open, don't let anyone tell you that your problems are irrelevant or you should be happy. They are true to you and you have a right to be open about that.

Lots of love xxxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.