Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello all, I work for a supermarket as a retail assistant and these lot don't seem to understand the meaning of a contract as since I've returned after a period of illness they are consistently not giving me my contracted hours, to the tune of about 20% less than I am contracted for. They blame a sales slump but don't seem to:
    - Apply equal cuts across the team
    - Apply any cuts to the management team which unless they are immune to a need to reduce hours based on a sales drop, is completely unfair
    And they also haven't written to us members of staff a letter explaining why we are experiencing cuts and when we can expect to get hours back, it's all very amateur and random. The managers want to look good by getting hours as low as possible and us staff are suffering as a result of it. I took it to my area manager about a month ago and he sorted it with the manager and for a few weeks my contracted hours were given but this last week and the upcoming 2 weeks they have again cut about 15% of my contracted hours for the week and I've had enough. I threatened a grievance letter being raised before and left it as I got my contract back but now I'm considering it but to keep the peace to some degree and go about it the best way, what would you recommend I do from here?

Thanks a lot for any advice you can give, I'm approaching my manager tomorrow about this but am so angry that I can't see myself going with the right tact, I need a breakdown of what the next few steps I can take are to effectively deal with this issue.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.