Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Self confidence help watch

Announcements

Okay so i'm an 18 year old guy at university and i am currently going out every weekend with friends. Every weekend there are a few instances with girls where i feel i could maybe hook up, they are flirting with me and seem keen. The problem is that i have the confidence to talk to any girl and flirt but i seriously lack the confidence to make the first move. Its a combination of being nervous and not wanting to mess up and also i don't want to have misread the signals and be labelled as a creep. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the confidence to make the first move or just generally care less about what people will think of you if you are rejected?

Just be yourself and behave like you normally would and try not to come across as desperate! The number of times I've gone to clubs and seen guys trying to find someone is shocking (I've had to use a fake boyfriend may times-hehe)
    On a serious note,be yourself and go with the flow!!! Everyone gets nervous when trying to flirt, it's natural! If you do find a girl and start talking to her, don’tjump straight into it and ask her out, that might scare her, talk about her and what she likes, the more you get toknow her, the more confident an friendly she’ll become, and you’ll find youwill get comfortable too when talking to her. Then as you know one thing willhopefully lead to another, Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Its a combination of being nervous and not wanting to mess up and also i don't want to have misread the signals and be labelled as a creep. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the confidence to make the first move or just generally care less about what people will think of you if you are rejected?
    I think if you think the more you have to lose then the more you care about the outcome, i.e. what happens if I read the signs wrong and made the move, how would it impact the relationship and awkwardness. So I guess in order to boost confidence in a "risk-free" fashion first - try bars and clubs and just speak to girls (and guys with girls).

Also, you're only 18. Plenty of options ahead of you in the coming years

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.