Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've successfully lost 20% of my bodyweight, and reduced my body fat percentage by 10%. So a success story so far.

Now I'm on vanity pounds and have about 1 stone left to go... but still a sky-high body fat percentage. Weight still dropping off but body fat percentage refusing to budge.

What is the best way to proceed? I've been doing cardio (treadmill) for weight loss and weight lifting (using machines, arms and legs only) to try and rebuild the muscle lost by the calorie defecit due to diet/cardio... But clearly this approach isn't effective. Suggestions please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    I've successfully lost 20% of my bodyweight, and reduced my body fat percentage by 10%. So a success story so far.

Now I'm on vanity pounds and have about 1 stone left to go... but still a sky-high body fat percentage. Weight still dropping off but body fat percentage refusing to budge.

What is the best way to proceed? I've been doing cardio (treadmill) for weight loss and weight lifting (using machines, arms and legs only) to try and rebuild the mussle lost by the calorie defecit due to diet/cardio... But clearly this approach isn't effective. Suggestions please?
    Hey, congratulations on your progress so far. The best way to lose fat is to do compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench, ohp, rows etc) as these hit the most muscle fibres and are multi-joint movements. More muscle you have = more fat you can burn quickly. I'd scrap machines and focus more on free weights. Cardio is great too, just remember to push yourself and not half-arse it Diet wise, eat about 15% less than your TDEE incorporating lean proteins, vegetables and not too many carbs Don't starve yourself for you'd lose all your muscle and will look like **** this takes time so be patient!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Are you losing weight still?

How you measuring bf%?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Are you losing weight still?

How you measuring bf%?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes - now at 1lb per week, down from 2lb. So I suppose that I could just worry about dropping down that last stone first... But in the back of my mind I'm thinking I don't want to lose muscle just to then have to put it back on again!

I'm measuring bf% using digital scales which uses electronic resistance... so not the most accurate way in the world but should be consistent at least.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    Yes - now at 1lb per week, down from 2lb. So I suppose that I could just worry about dropping down that last stone first... But in the back of my mind I'm thinking I don't want to lose muscle just to then have to put it back on again!

I'm measuring bf% using digital scales which uses electronic resistance... so not the most accurate way in the world but should be consistent at least.
    Your losing weight, you'll be preferentially burning fat. You're still losing fat, dw

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.