Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I've got an informal meeting for a potential PhD place at a university in the UK. From the way the email is worded, it seems like it'll be a very informal affair and the word 'interview' is not even mentioned. It's more of a meet everyone and see if I like them, get a tour of the campus, lab and have lunch with them all.

Of course I know this is a way for them to get to know me as much as it is me getting to know them and there will be a 'chat' about the research, why I want to do it etc. However, in such an informal setting and long train journey to get there, I don't feel like an overly formal outfit is appropriate. I'm having a tour of the chem department and labs and so cannot wear a semi-formal dress/skirt which has completely unhinged me.

I was going to wear a pair of dark blue jeans (brand new with no holes and a solid colour - no artistic fading), white button up shirt and a cardigan with some leather brogues. I think it shows off a professional-ish look, but is suitable for walking in and out of labs and the travelling for 8+ hours there and back.

Any ideas/help from people who have had PhD interviews with this completely informal style would be much appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Even if it isn't called an interview, it is one so dress and prepare accordingly. I work in biomedical labs so slightly different but have worked in phrama before with chem labs and don't see a problem with wearing a dress/skirt as long as your feet and especially toes are covered. I wouldn't wear jeans to an interview: slacks or trousers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Even if it isn't called an interview, it is one so dress and prepare accordingly. I work in biomedical labs so slightly different but have worked in phrama before with chem labs and don't see a problem with wearing a dress/skirt as long as your feet and especially toes are covered. I wouldn't wear jeans to an interview: slacks or trousers.
    That is what I was expecting people to say - I cannot say I'm shocked! I do a lot of air and moisture sensitive stuff and so there are no skirts anywhere near the lab where I'm concerned (and the project is very much along the same lines). I'll have to find a pair of my formal trousers and make sure they're appropriate/fit/have no holes in them!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    a labcoat and goggles

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.