The Student Room Group

Religion - 2+2=5

I've just finished my essay study of religion and how it rejects empirical fact over religions dogma and unscientific principles. Religious individuals of all kinds will deny anything from the age of the Universe to evolution, and will persist in their belief that what this one ancient, scientifically illiterate book tells them is truth.

In this research, I've found disturbing similarities between religious principles and the values and practices of Ingsoc in the book 1984. Just like in the book, you're expected to believe that 2+2 can equal 3, 5 or any other number that the establishment, in this case the religious one, asks you to accept. It discourages rational and critical thinking and encourages blind faith in dogma. I'm astonished to what lengths will people go to defend this argument in their favor, ironically defending their book by citing passages from the book in question.

What is obvious is that religion is in no way beneficial to human society in any way. It only creates conflict and divisions, which in turn creature more conflict and more subdivisions. This perpetual cycle is the reason behind many atrocities, both in past and present, and I'm wondering how long will it last?

Your thoughts?
Original post by Synonym
x

Correct I *think*

@Zacken

Can you check if this is correct? Might involve expansion of Maclaurin's series but I think this guy's on to something
Reply 2
Original post by Synonym
Religion - 2+2=5Thats a minus between religion and 2.......

solving it gives: Religion=5

i might be wrong.. im dumb at maths

Haha, the line between Religion and the number 2 is grammatical, not mathematical in this case. It represents a longer pause then a period. Stick to the topic! :smile:
I agree OP.
Original post by Withengar
I've just finished my essay study of religion and how it rejects empirical fact over religions dogma and unscientific principles. Religious individuals of all kinds will deny anything from the age of the Universe to evolution, and will persist in their belief that what this one ancient, scientifically illiterate book tells them is truth.

In this research, I've found disturbing similarities between religious principles and the values and practices of Ingsoc in the book 1984. Just like in the book, you're expected to believe that 2+2 can equal 3, 5 or any other number that the establishment, in this case the religious one, asks you to accept. It discourages rational and critical thinking and encourages blind faith in dogma. I'm astonished to what lengths will people go to defend this argument in their favor, ironically defending their book by citing passages from the book in question.

What is obvious is that religion is in no way beneficial to human society in any way. It only creates conflict and divisions, which in turn creature more conflict and more subdivisions. This perpetual cycle is the reason behind many atrocities, both in past and present, and I'm wondering how long will it last?

Your thoughts?

Well said,

It will last in some form forever.
Original post by leavingthecity
Well said,

It will last in some form forever.

You think so? I'd say belief in God or the divine will probably be around forever, but superstitious, dogmatic religions may well disappear one day.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
You think so? I'd say belief in God or the divine will probably be around forever, but superstitious, dogmatic religions may well disappear one day.

Id like to think so, but I think some humans will always be inventive in their lying as a means to manipulate, oppress and gain wealth...

Also we are wired to be superstitious, it's seems to be a survival tactic that began as the ability to observe and then make complex extrapolations, but has turned into something that hasn't served us well, and leaves us extremely venerable to being taken advantage of.
Reply 7

Your thoughts?
There are conflicts and subdivisions among scientists.

Also you're talking about a very very specific type of religion practised by an even smaller proportion of people.
Reply 8
Original post by iEthan

Hmmmmm, this is true… maybe he would be impressed with the maths on the inside :yep: never judge a book by its cover :angel:

:rofl:
Original post by Zacken
Original Mathematician gangster? :wink:

:cool: hell yes, dawg.
Reply 10
Original post by Student403
:cool: hell yes, dawg.

DYING. :rofl:
Original post by Zacken
DYING. :rofl:

#NoRegrets
#InstaTenure

Your thoughts?

In my opinion the only types of religions that have these aspects are monotheistic, and even then only wholly. Monotheistic religions say that they are the only true religion. When there are multiple religions saying this obviously there will be wars. However, within a society that accepts a monotheistic religion, the community aspect of religion comes out. People see themselves as something bigger than just individuals. It makes people within the society have a shared values and more familiarity with each other.

Quick Reply