NEED HELP PLEASE! Resitting GCSES and Applying for Diagnostic Radiography Watch

KyleH123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys, just going to explain my situation and how I got here.

19 years old and want to study an access course.

Here are my current GCSEs (as a result of lack of effort and not appreciating the opportunities restricted with bad grades)

https://gyazo.com/defb581ea512ff57a0e3be79b1827ac1
https://gyazo.com/4c42eb136f03c96025ce2e900c6c8ee5

Some of the Universities I want to apply to are asking for 5 A*-C GCSEs for Diagnostic Radiography (the course I intend on completing)

But some are asking for only English language & Mathematics at C+

I would resit my Maths GCSE during my Access course, but this would make things harder during my access course.

So I have a few questions:

Do I resit GCSEs before I start my access course in September in an effort to get 5 to give myself more Uni options?

Some of the Universities have said they would take the access course in lieu of a Science gcse so I guess I'd only need 4?

edit; could I resit certain modules to up my overall grade? How much does it cost to resit exams at 19?

Just looking for any advice really.

Appreciate it guys x
KyleH123
Rep:
?
is TSR sleeping?
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KyleH123)
So I have a few questions:

Do I resit GCSEs before I start my access course in September in an effort to get 5 to give myself more Uni options?

edit; could I resit certain modules to up my overall grade? How much does it cost to resit exams at 19?
The main entry deadline for summer has already passed (21 February). You can still pay late fees to enter but fewer centres would accept you.

The rules have changed in the past few years. You can carry forward controlled assessment but you have to re-sit all the exam units to get a new GCSE grade.

If you enter exams as a private candidate then you have to pay the exam fee (about £30 but more like £60 because of the late fees) plus any admin/invigilation charge the centre adds on. This can be anything from £0 to £100 per GCSE.

I suggest you think about which subjects you might want to re-sit, look at the exam board websites for advice for private candidates and then ring round centres. The exam board prices don't increase again until mid April but the longer you leave it the harder it will be to find a centre willing to accept you.
KyleH123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
The main entry deadline for summer has already passed (21 February). You can still pay late fees to enter but fewer centres would accept you.

The rules have changed in the past few years. You can carry forward controlled assessment but you have to re-sit all the exam units to get a new GCSE grade.

If you enter exams as a private candidate then you have to pay the exam fee (about £30 but more like £60 because of the late fees) plus any admin/invigilation charge the centre adds on. This can be anything from £0 to £100 per GCSE.

I suggest you think about which subjects you might want to re-sit, look at the exam board websites for advice for private candidates and then ring round centres. The exam board prices don't increase again until mid April but the longer you leave it the harder it will be to find a centre willing to accept you.
Really appreciate the response.
Do you know which GCSEs can be resit with just an exam?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KyleH123)
Really appreciate the response.
Do you know which GCSEs can be resit with just an exam?
Just looked at your results and they're mostly WJEC. If you're in Wales the rules are different and I' don't really know what they are.

Maths is all exam. I think Sociology is all exam. You should be able to carry forward controlled assessment for others.
KyleH123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Just looked at your results and they're mostly WJEC. If you're in Wales the rules are different and I' don't really know what they are.

Maths is all exam. I think Sociology is all exam. You should be able to carry forward controlled assessment for others.
Thanks Compost.
You really helped fertilise my soil.

I think I'll contact WJEC on Monday
israela1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hi i am 16 years old i am in first year of collage and i don't pass my maths and English and also science i am retaking it again this year my question is if i pass my maths and English and also science could i still have chance to study radiographer
Hazelly
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by israela1)
hi i am 16 years old i am in first year of collage and i don't pass my maths and English and also science i am retaking it again this year my question is if i pass my maths and English and also science could i still have chance to study radiographer
Of course, you could still have a chance

Which universities are you looking at?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by israela1)
You need to study at least one Science A level https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcse...e/radiographer which will be a real challenge if you didn't get your Science first time round, although doing very well at A BTEC in Applied Science might be suitable instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (339)
46.25%
No (78)
10.64%
I'm not old enough (316)
43.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed