Turn on thread page Beta

NEED HELP PLEASE! Resitting GCSES and Applying for Diagnostic Radiography watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just going to explain my situation and how I got here.

19 years old and want to study an access course.

Here are my current GCSEs (as a result of lack of effort and not appreciating the opportunities restricted with bad grades)

https://gyazo.com/defb581ea512ff57a0e3be79b1827ac1
    https://gyazo.com/4c42eb136f03c96025ce2e900c6c8ee5

Some of the Universities I want to apply to are asking for 5 A*-C GCSEs for Diagnostic Radiography (the course I intend on completing)

But some are asking for only English language & Mathematics at C+

I would resit my Maths GCSE during my Access course, but this would make things harder during my access course.

So I have a few questions:

Do I resit GCSEs before I start my access course in September in an effort to get 5 to give myself more Uni options?

Some of the Universities have said they would take the access course in lieu of a Science gcse so I guess I'd only need 4?

edit; could I resit certain modules to up my overall grade? How much does it cost to resit exams at 19?

Just looking for any advice really.

Appreciate it guys x

ReputationRep:
    is TSR sleeping?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    So I have a few questions:

Do I resit GCSEs before I start my access course in September in an effort to get 5 to give myself more Uni options?

edit; could I resit certain modules to up my overall grade? How much does it cost to resit exams at 19?
    The main entry deadline for summer has already passed (21 February). You can still pay late fees to enter but fewer centres would accept you.

The rules have changed in the past few years. You can carry forward controlled assessment but you have to re-sit all the exam units to get a new GCSE grade.

If you enter exams as a private candidate then you have to pay the exam fee (about £30 but more like £60 because of the late fees) plus any admin/invigilation charge the centre adds on. This can be anything from £0 to £100 per GCSE.

I suggest you think about which subjects you might want to re-sit, look at the exam board websites for advice for private candidates and then ring round centres. The exam board prices don't increase again until mid April but the longer you leave it the harder it will be to find a centre willing to accept you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    The main entry deadline for summer has already passed (21 February). You can still pay late fees to enter but fewer centres would accept you.

The rules have changed in the past few years. You can carry forward controlled assessment but you have to re-sit all the exam units to get a new GCSE grade.

If you enter exams as a private candidate then you have to pay the exam fee (about £30 but more like £60 because of the late fees) plus any admin/invigilation charge the centre adds on. This can be anything from £0 to £100 per GCSE.

I suggest you think about which subjects you might want to re-sit, look at the exam board websites for advice for private candidates and then ring round centres. The exam board prices don't increase again until mid April but the longer you leave it the harder it will be to find a centre willing to accept you.
    Really appreciate the response.
    Do you know which GCSEs can be resit with just an exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    Really appreciate the response.
    Do you know which GCSEs can be resit with just an exam?
    Just looked at your results and they're mostly WJEC. If you're in Wales the rules are different and I' don't really know what they are.

Maths is all exam. I think Sociology is all exam. You should be able to carry forward controlled assessment for others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Just looked at your results and they're mostly WJEC. If you're in Wales the rules are different and I' don't really know what they are.

Maths is all exam. I think Sociology is all exam. You should be able to carry forward controlled assessment for others.
    Thanks Compost.
    You really helped fertilise my soil.

I think I'll contact WJEC on Monday

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.