Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are relationships in High School worth it? Watch

Hello,

This is partly a discussion and a personal question. At school, I've never been the one to start chasing girls early on. For some reason I've never really been interested till a couple of months ago, in fact, I was always worried I might be gay (no offence to anyone who is, I was just worried about what people would think of me) but as it turns out it just took a little longer for me.

Now I'm stuck with this rather sticky situation.

I go on the bus to school as many students do, but I started noticing this girl (clichè!). Of course, been the slightly shy person I am, I assumed I would soon forget about her which we all know isn't always the case. One, day she randomly stops me in the corridors, acknowledging the fact that I go on the bus. She just really says hello so I sat hello back, it's a very quick and abrupt conversation before we part ways due to my little confidence in that situation. For a week or so, we had no contact then she stops me again and we have another abrupt conversation before leaving. At this, I mentally kick myself thinking I've just come off as someone really rude and unsociable as I've continued to leave before a real conversation is started.

The next time she stops me in the corridors, she suggests that we really should talk more on the bus so at this point I decide to get her name and I leave, somewhat satisfied with that. I now talk to her on the bus but I keep wondering whether I should maybe ask her out or just stay as friends. Main reason is I hear that relationships in High School are a little on the messy side so I'm worried that if I do ask her out it may make a complete mess of our current friendship which I find quite nice as she is a good friend. I also wonder how much it would mess with my productivity at school as I realise that getting good grades is quite important.

So I'll just ask a few questions now that I've explained my situation.

Is it worth having a relationship in high school?

Are students generally mature enough at this age for a relationship?

Does that girl like me?

Cheers, answers to this thread should be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    my first boyfriend was when i was in year 10, i would say it was young love as we wernt mature enough for a relationship i.e. we was on and off for two years. i would say more serious and mature relationships happen as you get older. dont get me wrong there are some people i know who have been together since high school.

ReputationRep:
    High school relationships are unlikely to last because of many factors e.g. workload, work outside of school, extra-curricular commitments, etc... I'm avoiding a relationship for the rest of Sixth Form purely because I know for a fact that: 1) Exams are the most important thing to happen to anyone right now. 2) It's a HUGE distraction. 3) The likelihood of a couple being together may be unlikely as when people leave High School, they tend to part ways for Universities and Colleges.

ReputationRep:
    They say high school relationship is messy because it is school there are a lot of people interfering with one another and causes breaks up. I use to think high school relationship isnt worth it because as you get older your attitude changes as you finish school. However if you really like her the real question is, is SHE worth it?

Are students generally mature enough at this age for a relationship?

Does that girl like me?

Cheers, answers to this thread should be interesting.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies!

It seems like I'm not the only one who thinks that it may not be worth a HS relationship. My friends are always suggesting that I should get into a relationship but I've always thought that there's no point and I could never see why people liked each other so much as I'd never had a crush of any sort before. Just thought that getting good grades were important.

Of course I now know how easy it is to get caught up in the feelings, it's almost scary how much I think about her now .

From what I've heard people mention, apparently it's worth having a relationship for the benefit of expierience with some sort of relationship. What would you say for this as I would've of that it would be better to wait later in life?

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not it's worth it is a matter or personal opinion and depends on the situation. Some people find that relationships aren't worth it in high school as many people are too immature for them to work well and because they can be hard alongside the various other stresses of high school life. But it's possible to find people mature enough to treat the relationship properly and who can manage a relationship alongside school stresses (you'll have to manage them alongside work later in life anyway). If you feel that you and the girl are mature enough for it and won't get distracted from exams, go for it! If it doesn't work out, that's fine, but you'll never know unless you try.

I wouldn't have a relationship for the sake of having the experience of a relationship, but it is something to consider. You can gain many positive experiences from a relationship, and learning how to date now may make it a bit easier in later life. Overall, you have to assess your individual situation though. There's no hard rule: you have to use the advice from others to figure out whether you think it'll be worth it in your situation.

ReputationRep:
    High school is such a serious thing, these problems matter

ReputationRep:
    Whats high school? I thought this website was uk

ReputationRep:
    you're not mature enough to make it work in my opinion but I still think it's worth having relationships as you do get some understanding of how they work, problems and break ups etc

ReputationRep:
    to me no. waste of time. 99% of the couples won't even last in uni

ReputationRep:
    Another thing to consider is do you personally think a relationship has to be able to last years for it to have value? Do you think all relationships you get into should have a good chance of leading to cohabitation or marriage or whatever years into the future from the beginning, or do you think the joy and bond gained from a high school romance which will potentially not survive post-high school is enough to enter the relationship? There's no right answer, just another thing to consider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howtobealady)
    to me no. waste of time. 99% of the couples won't even last in uni
    but I'm not sure OP (or anyone) who has/maybe wants a "high school relationship" wants it to (or thinks that it will) necessarily last.. I say go for it, you seem to understand it's not going to be super super serious, and ngl OP your sense of perspective is refreshing

good luck to the both of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judas69)
    Whats high school? I thought this website was uk
    Lol. Some places in the UK refer to secondary school as high school, it's pretty common.

ReputationRep:
    My friend has been with her boyfriend since year and we and we are in year 13 now. She thinks that he is the one and they she is going to marry him, so yes they could always work out, although I think most don't.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.