Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So if you had a maintenance loan of £8000 and you spent £6000, what happens to that £2000? Does it go straight back to Student Finance?

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell manages to get £8K in maintenance!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    So if you had a maintenance loan of £8000 and you spent £6000, what happens to that £2000? Does it go straight back to Student Finance?
    No, you get to keep it and it can just stay in your bank account.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdorableDrip)
    Who the hell manages to get £8K in maintenance!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology. I'm just really confused about repayments!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    No, you get to keep it and it can just stay in your bank account.
    So you can use it to pay off stuff? I wouldn't want to pay back any more than I used . . .
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So you can use it to pay off stuff? I wouldn't want to pay back any more than I used . . .
    You can yes. Afaik you can't give money back to SFE anyway. You will just repay when you would normally have to.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    You can yes. Afaik you can't give money back to SFE anyway. You will just repay when you would normally have to.
    So you can use borrowed money to pay off borrowed money?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So you can use borrowed money to pay off borrowed money?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because the student loan isn't like any other loan. You don't pay beach money depending on what you have left but what you own, and eventually the loan gets wiped. It's more like a graduate tax in all but name.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Because the student loan isn't like any other loan. You don't pay beach money depending on what you have left but what you own, and eventually the loan gets wiped. It's more like a graduate tax in all but name.
    Oh. Wow, I had completely the wrong idea. Thank you so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You keep it. I actually managed to leave uni with savings :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When the maintenance loan goes into your bank, you can use it how you want. You don't need to pay it back until you earn £21,000 after you graduate. However, if you want to reduce your debt you can always pay it back via the Student Loans websites if you want to. Now interest is added into your balance as soon as the money reaches your bank account so it is always a good idea to start paying it off. It does get wiped off after 30 years but 30 years is a long time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.