Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I kind of understand what you're going through, as my dad suffers from paranoia as well. It's great that you have identified that you have a problem and are trying to get it sorted, it will make things much easier (hopefully!). My dad wasn't even able to recognise that he was suffering from any mental health issues (he has both paranoia and depression), so it has taken a long time (around six years) for us to finally convince him to seek help.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest getting in touch with a mental health professional, as they will be able to provide help and guidance in lessening, and hopefully overcoming your paranoia. Also, whenever your paranoia flares up and you begin to worry, try to remind yourself that the chances of someone being 'out to get you' are very, very low. Perhaps you could ask a friend or family member that you trust to accompany you on your way home from work?

I really hope you find a way to overcome these feelings soon :hugs:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Hi,

I kind of understand what you're going through, as my dad suffers from paranoia as well. It's great that you have identified that you have a problem and are trying to get it sorted, it will make things much easier (hopefully!). My dad wasn't even able to recognise that he was suffering from any mental health issues (he has both paranoia and depression), so it has taken a long time (around six years) for us to finally convince him to seek help.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest getting in touch with a mental health professional, as they will be able to provide help and guidance in lessening, and hopefully overcoming your paranoia. Also, whenever your paranoia flares up and you begin to worry, try to remind yourself that the chances of someone being 'out to get you' are very, very low. Perhaps you could ask a friend or family member that you trust to accompany you on your way home from work?

I really hope you find a way to overcome these feelings soon :hugs:
    Thank you so much for your help. It's nice to hear someone who has or knows someone who's had a similar experience as I worry I'm the only one suffering. I am a bit worried to seek help unless it's anonymous as I don't want my family knowing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 63080817)
    Thank you so much for your help. It's nice to hear someone who has or knows someone who's had a similar experience as I worry I'm the only one suffering. I am a bit worried to seek help unless it's anonymous as I don't want my family knowing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're welcome, and you're definitely not the only one! I honestly think that it would be beneficial for your family to know, so that they can support you, but I understand if you'd prefer them not to
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome, and you're definitely not the only one! I honestly think that it would be beneficial for your family to know, so that they can support you, but I understand if you'd prefer them not to
    I just feel like I'm all alone and I don't think my friends would listen and I don't know if there are any counselling sessions available at my sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you go to your GP it will be confidential. The only times where they will tell someone is if you or someone else is at risk, and you will be told about the process if that is the case. If you are under 16, there is a chance they may tell your parents, but this is something you can discuss with them.

You're honestly not the only one with these worries. Many people go through this at some point in their life, and it is treatable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just feel like I'm all alone and I don't think my friends would listen and I don't know if there are any counselling sessions available at my sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe you could try sending your student support department at sixth form an email, asking whether counselling sessions are available, or go and ask them in person?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I've just awoken from a terrible nightmare this is taking the piss now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Please seek help. It can be treated before it escalates.

I had the same feelings and left it for 4 years. It escaped to the point that I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and hospitalised 16 times.

It's really important that you don't let this get worse, ok? I would go to your GP if I were you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Please seek help. It can be treated before it escalates.

I had the same feelings and left it for 4 years. It escaped to the point that I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and hospitalised 16 times.

It's really important that you don't let this get worse, ok? I would go to your GP if I were you.
    I'm fine when I'm at college and home and that its just when I'm in the street.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.