Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there everyone, I have recently been diagnosed with Thoracic outlet syndrome which means I need a rib excision and scalenectomy operation, I was wondering has anyone on here had this operation or know someone who has? What was your experience of the recovery and pain and so on. Any replies are greatly appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SwitchingOne)
    Hello there everyone, I have recently been diagnosed with Thoracic outlet syndrome which means I need a rib excision and scalenectomy operation, I was wondering has anyone on here had this operation or know someone who has? What was your experience of the recovery and pain and so on. Any replies are greatly appreciated!
    Hey, sorry I don't have any experience with that to share. I just wanted to wish you luck.
    You can probably find forums or websites for people with the same condition that can help. Hope the operation helps and you recover quickly.

I've had surgery recently but of a very different type. I was really nervous before it but once I got to the hospital it wasn't as bad as I was worried it would be. Didn't really have much time to freak out tbh. Got shown to my room, showered with some special sponge and was given a gown to change into. A few people came in to check on me and tell me what was going to happen. Signed a form to say I gave permission and understood the risks. Bit later I was told they were ready, said goodbye to my bf and was taken to the anesthesia room. Anesthesia was quick (layed down on bed, given blanket, jabed in hand- little sharp pinch, felt dizzy for a sec then out) and I woke up as if no time had passed. You stay in a recovery room untill you are awake and responsive and then they wheel you to your room/ ward. It helps to have somebody stay with you and wait until you've woken up so you are more comfortable and have somebody to move things for you, press the call button if you need it etc when you're still sleepy.
    Mine was a simple op and had a quick recovery time. I was given the painkillers and other stuff I would need for recovery and just chilled out in my bed for a couple of weeks with my bf sorting out my food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Hey, sorry I don't have any experience with that to share. I just wanted to wish you luck.
    You can probably find forums or websites for people with the same condition that can help. Hope the operation helps and you recover quickly.

I've had surgery recently but of a very different type. I was really nervous before it but once I got to the hospital it wasn't as bad as I was worried it would be. Didn't really have much time to freak out tbh. Got shown to my room, showered with some special sponge and was given a gown to change into. A few people came in to check on me and tell me what was going to happen. Signed a form to say I gave permission and understood the risks. Bit later I was told they were ready, said goodbye to my bf and was taken to the anesthesia room. Anesthesia was quick (layed down on bed, given blanket, jabed in hand- little sharp pinch, felt dizzy for a sec then out) and I woke up as if no time had passed. You stay in a recovery room untill you are awake and responsive and then they wheel you to your room/ ward. It helps to have somebody stay with you and wait until you've woken up so you are more comfortable and have somebody to move things for you, press the call button if you need it etc when you're still sleepy.
    Mine was a simple op and had a quick recovery time. I was given the painkillers and other stuff I would need for recovery and just chilled out in my bed for a couple of weeks with my bf sorting out my food.
    Thank you for your reply! I've since had a look on websites for people with similar condition and its all scary haha! I hope my experience will be as smooth as yours, I'm not particularly scared for the operation itself just scared about the repercussions which can happen should the operation go wrong or if the operation is not a success the fact that I will have to have another and if that can't do anything then I'm potentially stuck with a condition that gets worse and could change my life. But I have complete faith in the surgeon and sure it will all go well! hopefully my girlfriend will be as helpful as your boyfriend was for you haha! :-)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SwitchingOne)
    Thank you for your reply! I've since had a look on websites for people with similar condition and its all scary haha! I hope my experience will be as smooth as yours, I'm not particularly scared for the operation itself just scared about the repercussions which can happen should the operation go wrong or if the operation is not a success the fact that I will have to have another and if that can't do anything then I'm potentially stuck with a condition that gets worse and could change my life. But I have complete faith in the surgeon and sure it will all go well! hopefully my girlfriend will be as helpful as your boyfriend was for you haha! :-)
    I'd try not to worry too much. Even for a surgery as simple as mine I had loads of scary possibilities like blood loss and organ damage which I had to be warned of, but usually the chances of anything like that are really slim. You always hear the scare stories, because those are the people who want to talk about their experience. Most people will just be in and out, feel ill for a while and then be fine.

I hope it all goes well for you and that you don't need to go through any of this again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    I'd try not to worry too much. Even for a surgery as simple as mine I had loads of scary possibilities like blood loss and organ damage which I had to be warned of, but usually the chances of anything like that are really slim. You always hear the scare stories, because those are the people who want to talk about their experience. Most people will just be in and out, feel ill for a while and then be fine.

I hope it all goes well for you and that you don't need to go through any of this again.
    Thank you, I'm sure I'll be fine! :-)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.