Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B938 - National Security Bill 2016, TSR Conservative and Unionist Party
    A

B I L L

TO

Increase the effort to protect the UK with focus on counter-terrorism.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Interpretation
    In this Act—
    “extremists” means individuals who support or commit ideologically-motivated violence.

2 Deportation of individuals promoting terrorism
    (1) Any immigrant found guilty of promoting terrorism shall be deported from the country.
    (2) If the individual is a UK national, or deportation is impossible, the passport will be seized.
    (3) If the individual holds dual citizenship, their British citizenship will be revoked and they will be subject to 2(4) or 2(1).
    (4) If a British individual is found guilty for promoting terrorism they shall be sentenced to a minimum of 10 years in prison.

3 Detention without charge
    Any Individual suspected of terrorist activities can be detained by authorities without charge for a period of up to 60 days.

4 Closure of congregations that promote radical ideology
    (1) Any centre of congregation that is found promoting extremist ideology shall be considered for closure.
    (2) The closure shall be decided by a local judge based on available evidence.

5 Short title and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the National Security Act 2016.
    (2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
    Notes
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler: show We are in a time where the world is facing the worst threat it has ever seen since the end of the Cold War. Radical Islamic terrorism has gained territorial ground in Iraq, Syria, Libya and various African regions. The objective of these jihadist groups is striking fear in the West, with their objective being making us live in constant terror. But the West must not submit to these threats.

This Act will provide the tools our anti-terrorism forces need to fight the menace of ISIS and related organizations. As a country, our main focus must be doing all we can to protect our citizens. After Paris, San Bernardino, Philadelphia, Jakarta and many other attacks, it is our moral duty to do all in our power to prevent future attacks in the UK because if one does happen, and blood is spilled, the people will ask if all possible actions were taken by their leaders to prevent the attack.

ReputationRep:
    2 (4) clearly escaped the notice of Jammy Duel

But aye.

ReputationRep:
    Does this not in places, thinking 2(4) differ from the labour bill on terrorism and treason from last parliament. I don't see much wrong with this other than the fact I think it has been done previously already

Aye.

Not sure on 2.2 though, I wouldn't want them to be trapped here.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I do not believe the UK should shelter any proven terrorists, regardless of whether they are British citizens or not. I would be slightly concerned that people who have not had a properly trial may be deported as well so this would have to be regulated carefully. However, something needs to be done about this ever-present issue so it is an aye from me.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I disagree with the use of the word extremist here. The great majority of extremists are non-violent and the misuse of the word will likely cause divides.

Also I'm not happy with the word congregation due to its religious ties suggesting that this is aimed at Islam. There are other places where people meet up and plan violence due to ideology (EDL maybe) so again find a better word.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I must say I would prefer execution for these people, but given that I doubt the other bill will pass this will have to do
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I disagree with the use of the word extremist here. The great majority of extremists are non-violent and the misuse of the word will likely cause divides.

Also I'm not happy with the word congregation due to its religious ties suggesting that this is aimed at Islam. There are other places where people meet up and plan violence due to ideology (EDL maybe) so again find a better word.
    Perhaps you're reading too much into things, I can confirm that Hazzer did not write this. Arguably the relevant people to be targeted are those pushing for violence, and congregation is not restricted by definition to religious groups.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Nay - I cannot support the detention of people without trial for 60 days
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I completely agree. This a shocking abuse of human rights.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Perhaps you're reading too much into things, I can confirm that Hazzer did not write this. Arguably the relevant people to be targeted are those pushing for violence, and congregation is not restricted by definition to religious groups.
    No it isn't, but what matters is the way it is perceived by the public. Teh word congregation is deadly affiliated with orginised religion and as such shouldn't be used here. And the word extremist in normal speach means someone with extreme veiws. I myself identify as an extremeist and I feel like the misuse of these words makes the entire bill UN-supportable.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I completely agree. This a shocking abuse of human rights.
    So how long is acceptable? 1 day? 10 days? a month?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    No it isn't, but what matters is the way it is perceived by the public. Teh word congregation is deadly affiliated with orginised religion and as such shouldn't be used here. And the word extremist in normal speach means someone with extreme veiws. I myself identify as an extremeist and I feel like the misuse of these words makes the entire bill UN-supportable.
    Oh goodie, does this mean that you advocate us imprisoning you for being an extremist?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I'd go as far as 14 days, but preferably less
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'd go as far as 14 days
    Already 28 days, was nearly 90 days (not actually sure what the division was on the amendment)
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Already 28 days, was nearly 90 days (not actually sure what the division was on the amendment)
    It should be lowered, is my point. I definitely won't agree to an increase, so it's a firm Nay.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Oh goodie, does this mean that you advocate us imprisoning you for being an extremist?
    That's the point...

ReputationRep:
    Nay- extremist is too vague a definition. Removing citizenship of dual nationals should be considered based on length of sentence and more offences than terrorism. Drug dealers and rapists, for example.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    3 days maximum.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    3 days maximum.
    Breaking news: Crime soars.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.