Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My first post so sorry if I do somthing wrong.

I am currently in year 12 doing my AS-levels (maths, further maths, chemistry and computer science) and was wondering if there is any point doing 4 AS subjects if we are going to drop one. I say this because my school has recommended that we drop a subject.

Its not that I cant perform in these subjects because in my mocks I got 4 A's but the computer science department at my new sixth form is a shambles and would like to drop it.

I have looked into some universities I would like to go to which include: Warwick, Durham, LSE, UCL and Imperial.

What's your guys take on it?

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, what would you be applying for that would mean you're looking at both LSE and Imperial?

ReputationRep:
    I'd most likely be applying for mathematics, I know LSE course is a mixture or maths and economics.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you could tailor your personal statement to both? Because from what I've seen LSE is very particular on the focus in the PS for the course you are applying for

ReputationRep:
    That's a good point you bring up, to ensure honest I had not thought about that and has made me think that LSE may not be the right choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfmeister)
    That's a good point you bring up, to ensure honest I had not thought about that and has made me think that LSE may not be the right choice
    I think if you're focusing on maths, you should go for the big ones! Imperial and Warwick are outstanding

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

You make a good point, I'll definitely look into these unis more now. On the websites it only states 3 a levels are required so I'm thinking of dropping the 4th as

ReputationRep:
    You can do, but I would advise consulting some others first just to confirm. Zacken

I can't speak for maths, but certainly at Imperial for other courses, 4 subject offers are common, so it might be in your best interest to keep it

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for you advice. My main concern is that I'm most likely going to drop to 3 subjects in year 13 and with a linear course is there any point

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for you advice. My main concern is that I'm most likely going to drop to 3 subjects in year 13 and with a linear course is there any point

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the situation is very different with a linear course

Muttley79 would be able to advise, I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    You can do, but I would advise consulting some others first just to confirm. Zacken

I can't speak for maths, but certainly at Imperial for other courses, 4 subject offers are common, so it might be in your best interest to keep it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I applied with only three AS/A-Levels and got offers from Cambz, Warwick, Imperial and UCL. I know that Cambridge isn't really going to care about your fourth subject, nor will Warwick. Can't speak about the other two but if I managed an offer from Imperial, so should you.

ReputationRep:
    LSE needs a fourth if you're doing further maths. The others are alright with 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I applied with only three AS/A-Levels and got offers from Cambz, Warwick, Imperial and UCL. I know that Cambridge isn't really going to care about your fourth subject, nor will Warwick. Can't speak about the other two but if I managed an offer from Imperial, so should you.
    wow what were your gcses

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for the reply, if that's the case I'd more that likely drop the subject. Just out of interest what where your a level grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malaikaxx)
    wow what were your gcses
    Should be on my profile, but they were fairly average. I didn't have any AS's either.

ReputationRep:

I am currently in year 12 doing my AS-levels (maths, further maths, chemistry and computer science) and was wondering if there is any point doing 4 AS subjects if we are going to drop one. I say this because my school has recommended that we drop a subject.

Its not that I cant perform in these subjects because in my mocks I got 4 A's but the computer science department at my new sixth form is a shambles and would like to drop it.

I have looked into some universities I would like to go to which include: Warwick, Durham, LSE, UCL and Imperial.

Beware of some of the advice given by older students, purely because the A level system has changed for people like yourself in year 12 who are due to take Linear A levels in 2017. It would be best for you to research for yourself on UCAS making sure you type in the correct year in which you will start your course. Also you can order prospectuses from the Unis to read at home. LSE may indeed have needed 4 A levels for 2016 entry, but this may have changed for you. I am a teacher and our pupils are nearly all down to 3 A levels with many taking an EPQ. You will need to look carefully at the maths/FM issue and see if Unis count it as separate subjects or not. Warwick is well known for maths as is Imperial, all the Unis have threads for students, so you could look through the posts, lots has been said on the Imperial thread about people applying for maths. Remember it is quality not quantity that counts! Some Unis want STEP maths papers, so also look into this. Good luck.

ReputationRep:

Which degree are you thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Should be on my profile, but they were fairly average. I didn't have any AS's either.
    i think they were wayyy better than average - you live in Mauritius?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, so would you recommend that I do 3 a levels? I am thinking about doing step exams next year as quite a few unis want/recommend them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malaikaxx)
    i think they were wayyy better than average - you live in Mauritius?
    Thank you, but I know plenty people with better grades. Yeah, I live there, born there as well.

Thanks for the reply, so would you recommend that I do 3 a levels? I am thinking about doing step exams next year as quite a few unis want/recommend them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'll need to decide whether you want to do STEP or not once your offers come in. I certainly would recommend three A-Levels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.