Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

burning over a 1000 calories at the gym Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently 133 pounds and want to lose 6 pounds. So i went to the gym twice last week and spend around 1hr 45mins there. i would lose 200 calories on the cross trainer, 700 on the spinning cycle and 150 on the treadmill at a incline of 6 as running hurts my knees so just walk on that.
    Plus i burn 200 from walking.
    Is this healthy?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    How tall are you?
    Male or female?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    I am currently 133 pounds and want to lose 6 pounds. So i went to the gym twice last week and spend around 1hr 45mins there. i would lose 200 calories on the cross trainer, 700 on the spinning cycle and 150 on the treadmill at a incline of 6 as running hurts my knees so just walk on that.
    Plus i burn 200 from walking.
    Is this healthy?
    Pro tip: Key to success = Dieting and nutrition>exercise.

Spoiler:
    Show
    :shh: Don't tell anyone my secret!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    Pro tip: Key to success = Dieting and nutrition>exercise.

Spoiler:
    Show
    :shh: Don't tell anyone my secret!
    Really? i see loads of people dieting and do zero exercise. I would rather exercise instead of eating rabbit food.

ReputationRep:
    Really? i see loads of people dieting and do zero exercise. I would rather exercise instead of eating rabbit food.
    I agree I see so many people "dieting" and still remaining the same year round.

Adherence = life.

ReputationRep:
    Combination of both is always best, though I know from experience that you can lose 3lbs in a week from sitting on your arse all week :lol:

As for whether or not what you're doing is healthy, depends on numerous factors. How much you're eating and how active you are in general are the main things, as they'll ultimately determine how fast you lose weight. Also, if you feel like you're doing too much for your body to handle, you probably are.
    • Very Important Poster

You lose weight based on the calorie deficit over time. As long as you are at deficit you will lose. Horses for courses.

You can burn 1000 caories, but its 3500 accurate ones for a theoretical 1lb in weight loss over time. Weight loss is not linear so dont expect a perfect obversion, just count your calories and weigh yourself. calorie burns tend to be overestimated plus people get confused with water weight loss and fluctuations.

You should be careful about losing too much weight too quickly and you will need to replace some of your burned energy with adequate nutrition.

ReputationRep:
    ...you don't have to eat rabbit food to lose weight...like at all. It's calories not lettuce.

Also you may want to take into account your estimates of what you burn at the gym may be lower in reality.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    What nobody else has mentioned is that OP is 130lbs. I'm not convinced OP needs/has any weight to lose

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    What nobody else has mentioned is that OP is 130lbs. I'm not convinced OP needs/has any weight to lose

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be fair she didn't state her height. I don't make judgements about what weight people should be without knowing their height, because I realise a lot of people don't fall within average height. If she's anywhere near my height then 130lbs is overweight. If she's average height (around 5'4) she's a pretty good weight but might want to lose body fat and if she's really quite tall she probably shouldn't be losing much if any weight at all. But impossible to say without knowing more details about her.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    To be fair she didn't state her height. I don't make judgements about what weight people should be without knowing their height, because I realise a lot of people don't fall within average height. If she's anywhere near my height then 130lbs is overweight. If she's average height (around 5'4) she's a pretty good weight but might want to lose body fat and if she's really quite tall she probably shouldn't be losing much if any weight at all. But impossible to say without knowing more details about her.
    I did ask, it was conveniently ignored

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As sophie mentioned- no height stated.

The thread was about burning 1000 calories, which is a big enough topic in itself.

ReputationRep:
    I did ask, it was conveniently ignored

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah so you did, I didn't that.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    ah so you did, I didn't that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ugh, lbs....disgusting.

There should be an SI-only rule

ReputationRep:
    How tall are you?
    Male or female?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Gender should be obvious
    Im 5ft4.5
    Im sorry i think i skipped your post didn't mean to ignore you
    I love going to the gym love the feeling you get after better than eating a greasy burger.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Gender should be obvious
    Im 5ft4.5
    Im sorry i think i skipped your post didn't mean to ignore you
    I love going to the gym love the feeling you get after better than eating a greasy burger.
    Well you're well inside the normal BMI parameters. So not great rush to lose a lot of weight. If you wanted to get leaner, I recommend you put in your activity level, your height/ weight into the MyFitnessPal app and a goal weight. Then eat the number of calories it recommends by weight out your food and keeping to your calorie limit that it prescribes. So if you exercise 3-4x a week for an hour or so, but are sedentary for much of the day otherwise, you'd be somewhere between active and lightly active (like I am)

It's fail proof
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've sorted your thread out Anymore questions, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    I've sorted your thread out Anymore questions, feel free to ask
    Thanks lol surprised it got to 5 pages and caused a heated debate!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks lol surprised it got to 5 pages and caused a heated debate!
    It wasn't a debate so much as one guy just getting his arse handed to him.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.