Turn on thread page Beta

burning over a 1000 calories at the gym watch

• Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by chikane)
    Thanks lol surprised it got to 5 pages and caused a heated debate!
    No debate, just one person showing how much they didnt know.

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting your calorie count from the gym machines I would beware, I really don't think many of them are accurate

ReputationRep:
    1000 lol? that would take a lot of endurance and time. I only do light cardio , so around 15-20 minute at start and end of workout. I burn around 250 cals , it's just to improve cardiovascular health tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    1000 lol? that would take a lot of endurance and time. I only do light cardio , so around 15-20 minute at start and end of workout. I burn around 250 cals , it's just to improve cardiovascular health tho
    50 minutes on the spinning bike burns around 700 calories. Then the rest on the cross trainer/treadmill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    50 minutes on the spinning bike burns around 700 calories. Then the rest on the cross trainer/treadmill.
    That sounds like the machine is telling fibbs to be honest.

Never trust the number the machine gives you, they are notoriously wrong and don't have the capacity to take a lot of things into account that massively change how many calories you expend.

ReputationRep:
    From what I understand the calorie number is the number of calories burned during that time period, not the number of calories burned above what your body would be burning anyway. Take any machine numbers with a big pinch of salt. I only really use them to compare workout to workout to get an idea of effort.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    That sounds like the machine is telling fibbs to be honest.

Never trust the number the machine gives you, they are notoriously wrong and don't have the capacity to take a lot of things into account that massively change how many calories you expend.
    This

ReputationRep:
    Burning 1k calories is ridiculous, you probably eat about 1.5k calories a day which i'm guessing a good 90% of that will be used by your base metabolic rate so you're at a deficit of like 900 calories, over 7 days = 6300 calories down a weak, that's over 2 pounds of pure fat which is a massive amount for your body to consume. Think about it, how long could you lose 2pounds a week before you are dead? It's seriously unhealthy and your body will freak out.

You'd start feeling weak/sleeping all day, or your brain will flood you with hunger chemicals to try make it up, if you push through it then your body will go into starvation mode (your body will eat muscle before it eats fat btw) and as soon as you stop exercising (even for a week) and get more calories in then out - it will put every single surplus calorie into fat storage and probably end up heavier than what you are now and have a much higher bodyfat percentage with less muscle.

Just do 30-40 minutes of light exercise a few times a week and watch what you eat, people don't get fat in a few days/weeks so don't expect the weight to drop off in the same time.

And 130lbs isn't much at all, i'd be on the squat rack if i were you lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.