The Student Room Group

Friend is being stupid about his future!

Me and my friend are doing our GCSE's in three months and we are deciding our futures. Mine is simple and have been wanting to do this for ages, go to Sixth Form College. Study Maths, Physics, Computer Science and if I can Graphics Design, then either go off to Cambridge or Imperial College to study Computer Science. Well my friend has originally wanted to do Music Tech and study it in college, then he had a phase of doing photography and wanting to do that A Level, which led to 3D design. That is okay, hobbies that he has done or enjoys. But then he said he wanted to do carpentry, never done it before, knows nothing about it. Now he is saying he wants to apply for an apprenticeship to do with Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, and Nuclear Science. He has never had an interest in engineering because when ether I have talked about engineering (my dad and brother are both engineers) he has always said it is boring, or that he would never do it. Fair enough, that's his opinion. But now he has saw this and suddenly wants to do it. He will probably do it, then after 2-3 months will be bored of it and do something new. I don't know what to do or say to him, he does not know what he wants to do with his future.
It's nice that you have your future planned out but don't pressure your friend to do the same. It is totally normal to change your mind, your friend sounds like most other kids his age. Most people your age have no idea what they want to do. If you want to help, why not ask your dad to set up some work experience for your friend, show him what engineering is like.
Original post by Snufkin
...your friend sounds like most other kids his age. Most people your age have no idea what they want to do.

His friend sounds like most nine year olds not people in their late teens.

Quick Reply

Latest