Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 19 and I'm currently studying a BSc Hons in Physiotherapy at Northumbria university. I have ABC at a level in product design, biology and geography (in that order) and a C in AS level chemistry. After a lot of thought I'm leaving uni as I want to do vet med and if I complete a degree the cost of the course is astronomical and there is no guarantee I will get in. So I figured I have three options; complete an fdsc in veterinary nursing then apply (2 yr course) complete an acces to HE course (1 yr) or re-sit my AS level chemistry and sit it at A2 in the hope that I get an A. I already have quite a bit of work experience (3 weeks lambing every season) I was assistant manager at an equestrian centre and some work in a car/dog rescue but I am still working on getting some experience in small/large vet practice. I'm going to email each university and see what their preferences are but I was hoping people on here might have some advice as to which is the best route to go down. I would really like to do vet nursing but having enrolled at collage to do it I now have to find a practice that will take me during study which is proving to be difficult.
    Any help is welcome 😊

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to be continuing to study physiotherapy or are you looking to transfer over?

ReputationRep:
    No i am stepping off the course and because I will not be completing the year I won't be able to transfer.

ReputationRep:
    First of all I think its important to consider funding, will you receive a loan for your first year as you've already completed a year in physiotherapy? I'd check with SFE. Also what course do you intend to do as you've said vet med in the title but then specified vet nursing in your post- make sure you're aware of the different roles and career pathways.
    If its vet nursing you're keen on then there's no need to do lambing and such like but it would be worthwhile to gain a lot of experience in SA practice, more than anything else; in terms of getting in contact with a practice, have you tried getting a week or two of work experience and, once they know you a little better, speaking to the practice manager or vet nurse in charge of student?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Are you from the North East originally or do you just study there at the minute? I may know some vet practices that you could contact.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.