The Student Room Group

Functional skills level 2

Hello everyone - I have to complete my level 2 functional skills maths in order to be able to attend university in September - I am just wondering if anyone had done this and can you advise how best to study for it - I have standard practise excercise a in a book and am enrolling on a 12 week course tomorrow , I have also booked a maths tutor ! Any advise or thoughts please ? Many thanks Tanya
Reply 1
Original post by tcarroll6478
Hello everyone - I have to complete my level 2 functional skills maths in order to be able to attend university in September - I am just wondering if anyone had done this and can you advise how best to study for it - I have standard practise excercise a in a book and am enrolling on a 12 week course tomorrow , I have also booked a maths tutor ! Any advise or thoughts please ? Many thanks Tanya

which course at University?
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
which course at University?

Social work - the level 2 maths needs to be completed before then.

Find out which functional skills examiner you will be using. Although the maths content is the same, the style of questions is very different.
Do as much past paper/sample paper from your specific examiner as you can. The maths is relatively easy but the problem solving skills required can sometimes make questions quite tricky.
You may need to revise some level 1 topics as well as level 2. CGP do ok revision guides at level 1 and level 2 for the maths content but they aren't so helpful for developing the problem solving approach that you will need.
If you need to do a lot of practice exercises then Maths the basics Functional Skills Edition is the best text book.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
Find out which functional skills examiner you will be using. Although the maths content is the same, the style of questions is very different.
Do as much past paper/sample paper from your specific examiner as you can. The maths is relatively easy but the problem solving skills required can sometimes make questions quite tricky.
You may need to revise some level 1 topics as well as level 2. CGP do ok revision guides at level 1 and level 2 for the maths content but they aren't so helpful for developing the problem solving approach that you will need.
If you need to do a lot of practice exercises then Maths the basics Functional Skills Edition is the best text book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fabulous info thank you. It's city and guilds level 2 . I'm currently working through a level 2 textbook CGP book . I am ok with maths just need some refreshing as it was 15 years ago I took my last test !
Fabulous info thank you. It's city and guilds level 2 . I'm currently working through a level 2 textbook CGP book . I am ok with maths just need some refreshing as it was 15 years ago I took my last test !

You might take the test on paper or as an on screen assessment. Its essentially the same questions but if I was offered a choice I'd take paper. You'll find practice papers here:
http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/skills-for-work-and-life/english-mathematics-and-ict-skills/3748-functional-skills-qualifications#tab=documents
In the level 2 "from Autumn 2015" tab.
Try some level 1 to get in the swing and save the level 2 until you've done some revision on your course.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Social work - the level 2 maths needs to be completed before then.

maybe you should post in the social work forum

Quick Reply

Latest