Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

I am a 5th year medical student. I study abroad in Romania and after doing a short week in Neurosurgery I have become very very interested in the subject. However here we are not allowed to observe any Neurosurgery operations... so I wanted to do an attachment maybe or some sort of shadowing within a Neurosurgerical department.

Ermm... I've done some work within the NHS, mainly in an AMU ward, where I have also participated in some Audits, also a National Audit and now I have a publication. Having said that I have -ZERO- interest in Internal Medicine and have interest in only certain surgical specialities... So, my question is: Can anyone help or guide me as to how to apply for attachments/shadowing in a Neurosurgical department? As in, whom do I contact, how do I get their details, how do I contact them...

Thank you all ))

P.s. If also can you guys help me with, finding posts, in a Plastic Surgery Department/ Orthopaedics

P.s.s Sorry if I don't make sense, also sorry for the long post!!

ReputationRep:
    There really isn't any magical way to get a placement, you just need to email a whole bunch of people. Find some hospitals that you would be interested in going to and see if you can find the emails of any of their neurosurgeons via their websites or whatever. And just send an email saying a lot of the same stuff you've said here. Specifically your 1st paragraph, I wouldn't bother mentioning the rest. I always like to include something along the lines of "I understand if you are not able to accommodate me. If so I would be grateful for the contact details of any of your colleagues who may be able to help and would not mind being approached", but that's just me/totally optional.

I don't know if there are any specific requirements regarding foreign medical students coming to the UK though, so you should probably research that first and make sure you meet whatever requirements there may be.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for the reply
    I am a British National I just study abroad.

Emailing people isnt an issure for me, its just i need someone to show me where or how I can get a hold of these emails? Will the emails be on the hospital or university websites?

Once again, thank you )

ReputationRep:
    Either? Both? Google it?

My local hospital is the QE in Birmingham. I googled "queen elizabeth neurosurgery" and the first result was this consultant directory: http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/consultant-dir...t=Neurosurgery

That page only had numbers not emails, so I then googled the name of the first guy on the list, which happened to be "Professor Antonio Belli". The first result was a page of information about him and an email address on the Birmingham Uni website: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/staff/pr...elli-tony.aspx

Seriously, google is your friend

ReputationRep:
    :OO!!

Thank you very very much sir!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 2, 2016

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.