• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hey everyone!

It's university mental health day this coming Thursday. It aims to raise awareness of some of the challenges students face whilst coming to university and hopes to change the state of mental health services at university

There'll be a big thread I'll be making for it for the day itself and as part of that; I'll be sharing my own experience of the support available at my university; living with a mental illness whilst studying and hopefully posting some other people's experiences!

Someone also suggested getting idea's from people of the 'top tips for surviving university'; it'd be great if people wouldn't mind sharing their idea's and hopefully we'll get enough to do a 'Top Ten Tips!'

You're more than welcome to post them anonymously, or send them via PM to be and I promise to keep them anonymous!
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    I'll definitely be watching this thread!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Bump! Right, I'll start with my own, in the hope that it'll encourage others

I find organising helps me survive university; prioritising deadlines; focusing on a single thing and getting it done before moving onto the next deadline instead of trying to focus my energy across multiple deadlines.

Also, I've found not trying to write notes for every single lecture and every single unit I'm studying takes some of the pressure off too

Lastly; don't be afraid to seek help! There's support out there; '“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” Turning on the light could be something as simple as letting a friend know you're not doing too well or seeing your personal tutor!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My top tips (am on my third degree now, haha #EternalStudentFTW ):

- Make sure you're getting fresh air every day, even if it's a simple walk around the block or to go and see a friend in another building. Being cooped up in your room all day is a recipe for disaster

- Make sure you have at least half an hour each day (ideally more if possible) where you take some time away from both uni work AND social media, and just do something you enjoy that doesn't involve a computer/laptop/iPad/smartphone. This can be as simple as going to a coffee shop and reading a non-academic book!

- Try and figure out early on what helps you to work efficiently. For some people, it's a certain type of environment (e.g. sitting in a library), for others it's listening to particular music (e.g. Mozart is meant to be very good for these kinda things). Some people work better in the mornings, others in the evenings, and for some there may be no difference! Whatever it is, try lots of things in your first term and see what works for you and then run with it!

- Remember that even if it seems like everyone around you is having a great/easy time, that you really are not alone with any feelings of (perceived) inadequacy. Lots of people struggle at uni - you will not be the first or last person in your year group, or even in your friendship circle, to have negative thoughts and feelings about yourself and/or your work

Just to echo Deyesy's point about not being afraid to ask for help. The moment you start to notice that you are feeling down/tired/stressed/burnt-out, etc., you should start being proactive in your own recovery by seeking appropriate help, support and guidance from your university. If things are starting to emerge into a negative repetitive/recurring pattern, then see your GP. Never be afraid to seek the help you both need and deserve

(Original post by Deyesy)
    Hey everyone!

It's university mental health day this coming Thursday. It aims to raise awareness of some of the challenges students face whilst coming to university and hopes to change the state of mental health services at university

There'll be a big thread I'll be making for it for the day itself and as part of that; I'll be sharing my own experience of the support available at my university; living with a mental illness whilst studying and hopefully posting some other people's experiences!
    Hey,

If you want someone to write about living with a mental illness whilst struggling to study at Oxbridge, I can write something. Will try not to be too negative
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    My top tips (am on my third degree now, haha #EternalStudentFTW ):

- Make sure you're getting fresh air every day, even if it's a simple walk around the block or to go and see a friend in another building. Being cooped up in your room all day is a recipe for disaster

- Make sure you have at least half an hour each day (ideally more if possible) where you take some time away from both uni work AND social media, and just do something you enjoy that doesn't involve a computer/laptop/iPad/smartphone. This can be as simple as going to a coffee shop and reading a non-academic book!

- Try and figure out early on what helps you to work efficiently. For some people, it's a certain type of environment (e.g. sitting in a library), for others it's listening to particular music (e.g. Mozart is meant to be very good for these kinda things). Some people work better in the mornings, others in the evenings, and for some there may be no difference! Whatever it is, try lots of things in your first term and see what works for you and then run with it!

- Remember that even if it seems like everyone around you is having a great/easy time, that you really are not alone with any feelings of (perceived) inadequacy. Lots of people struggle at uni - you will not be the first or last person in your year group, or even in your friendship circle, to have negative thoughts and feelings about yourself and/or your work

Just to echo Deyesy's point about not being afraid to ask for help. The moment you start to notice that you are feeling down/tired/stressed/burnt-out, etc., you should start being proactive in your own recovery by seeking appropriate help, support and guidance from your university. If things are starting to emerge into a negative repetitive/recurring pattern, then see your GP. Never be afraid to seek the help you both need and deserve

Hey,

If you want someone to write about living with a mental illness whilst struggling to study at Oxbridge, I can write something. Will try not to be too negative
    That'd be absolutely awesome if you could? I'll be sure to include some of those tips ^^
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    That'd be absolutely awesome if you could? I'll be sure to include some of those tips ^^
    Poke me tomorrow to remind me to knock something up :yes:
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    I think it's good to take time to step back from study, going out and all crazy uni shenanigans and just reflect on how much you've achieved and where you're going.

Sometimes it's easy to get bogged down in day to day life and let pressures build up. So it's good to reflect on the bigger picture. That helps you relax and realise how any struggles or stresses are just for a short period
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Let people know during and prior to mental health affecting uni. They can really help and be accommodating for exams/extensions etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Going to include all of these hopefully ^_^

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.