Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought about my educational life as high school, college and then university. I knew there were other options out there, but I never thought they were for me. Until recently I was completely fine with that. After an interview for uni however, I've started questioning it all. I can't decide if the course I have chosen is right for me, pharmacology, or if I even want to go to university any more. The whole situation is really starting to stress me out. But because going to university is all I ever thought of after college, I'm not very informed on the other choices out there. I know there are apprenticeships, or taking a gap-year, or just going in to work full time, but I'm terrified of making a decision and regretting it for the rest of my life.

Currently, I study biology, chemistry and As further maths, and I have an A level in maths. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRYINNotToFail)
    I've always thought about my educational life as high school, college and then university. I knew there were other options out there, but I never thought they were for me. Until recently I was completely fine with that. After an interview for uni however, I've started questioning it all. I can't decide if the course I have chosen is right for me, pharmacology, or if I even want to go to university any more. The whole situation is really starting to stress me out. But because going to university is all I ever thought of after college, I'm not very informed on the other choices out there. I know there are apprenticeships, or taking a gap-year, or just going in to work full time, but I'm terrified of making a decision and regretting it for the rest of my life.

Currently, I study biology, chemistry and As further maths, and I have an A level in maths. Any advice?
    You can really tie yourself in knots thinking about making a decision that will last the rest of your life. Trust me, I've tied myself in more knots than most. It can be overwhelming thinking that in taking one path you're saying no to many other paths, but I think in the end you've got to just go for it. Taking one path is better than taking no path and ending up confused. Having said that, because you only really get one lot of student finance if you're unsure of your current uni/course choice you might benefit from deferring your place and deciding whether to take it up next year or get out of the offer and apply somewhere else (or decide against uni altogether). Sometimes a year out after A levels can be helpful to settle your mind about what you're doing as long as you don't get too caught up in making the *right* decision. I think that ultimately we all have to try and do what seems right at the moment, because there's always a chance you could change career later if you end up being unhappy - many people make that change in their life. So maybe stop worrying that the rest of your life hangs on this decision and take it one step at a time.

ReputationRep:
    I was always dead set on going to uni, but on results day I missed out on my grades and ended up in my insurance. I was sure that university wasn't right for me anymore. I went to see the university and became even more sure that it wasn't right for me. But I didn't have anything else planned so my parents convinced me just to go and try it for a couple of months. 3 years later I've got a first class degree and can't believe that I was so apprehensive because of how much I enjoyed it.

Basically, its normal to have a bit of a wobble. It is a big decision to make and would be a huge change for you. Take some time to research other things, you're not committed to actually going to uni you still have a long time to make a decision so don't let it stress you out. Also remember that as big as the decision feels it is possible to change your mind after making it.

ReputationRep:
    I had similar feelings when I first finished my A-levels, I had a good set of results but had no idea what to do with them. It's been a couple of years now and after a lot of work experience and paid work I know exactly what I wanna get into. Take some time out (a gap year) if you need more time to think or get some advice/work experience if you have questions that need answering. Uni ain't going anywhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.