Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

How do you say the following in German:-

- "It tasted like heaven" (in reference to a bag of crisps)
    -"The leisure facilities in that hotel were amazing, so I used it regularly"

Many Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMasterofLife)
    Hello

I'm not 100% sure about the first one, as this is a really an idiom and won't necessarily work. The direct translation would be;

Es schmeckt wie Himmel.

As for the second:

Die Erholungseinrichtungen im Hotel war erstaunlich, also benutzte ich sie regelmäßig. OR , also ich benutzte es regelmäßig - when you say ''it'' do you mean the Hotel or the leisure facilities? If it's the former, it's "es", if it's the latter it's "sie".

Kallisto can help with the first phrase I hope - does German have such an expression?
    (you might also need to double check my use of ''also'' as I genuinely hate that word and refuse to use it 99% of the time because it confuses me).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I'm not 100% sure about the first one, as this is a really an idiom and won't necessarily work. The direct translation would be;

Es schmeckt wie Himmel.

As for the second:

Die Erholungseinrichtungen im Hotel war erstaunlich, also ich benutzte sie regelmäßig. OR , also ich benutzte es regelmäßig - when you say ''it'' do you mean the Hotel or the leisure facilities? If it's the former, it's "es", if it's the latter it's "sie".

Kallisto can help with the first phrase I hope - does German have such an expression?
    Inexorably -You're a GEM! Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:

Es schmeckt wie Himmel.

As for the second:

Die Erholungseinrichtungen im Hotel war erstaunlich, also ich benutzte sie regelmäßig. OR , also ich benutzte es regelmäßig - when you say ''it'' do you mean the Hotel or the leisure facilities? If it's the former, it's "es", if it's the latter it's "sie".

Doesn't 'also' change the word order, or am I getting this confused with something else? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOtherSide.)
    Doesn't 'also' change the word order, or am I getting this confused with something else? :dontknow:
    Inexorably -You're a GEM! Thanks a lot!
    I edited my post gosh you guys are quick.

I think also takes up first position so I put also - verb - subject, but I'm not sure now... X)

I hate the word also so much I just do, I really do not like it. It's my least favourite German word

ReputationRep:
    I edited my post gosh you guys are quick.

I think also takes up first position so I put also - verb - subject, but I'm not sure now... X)
    I was about 90% sure it did, but we can probably wait for Kallisto to show up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOtherSide.)
    I was about 90% sure it did, but we can probably wait for Kallisto to show up
    Yep

I just did a quick google and the first comment on this:

http://german.stackexchange.com/ques...as-conjunction

seems to suggest it is also-verb-subject

ReputationRep:
    Yep

I just did a quick google and the first comment on this:

http://german.stackexchange.com/ques...as-conjunction

seems to suggest it is also-verb-subject
    That should be fine, then

ReputationRep:
    Hello

The closest you could come to the first one is probably ''Es schmeckte himmlisch'' or ''Sie schmeckten himmlisch'', the ''Sie'' referring to the crisps (''Die Chips'', plural).

As for the second sentence, which ought to be
    "The leisure facilities in that hotel were amazing, so I used them regularly'' in English, unless I misunderstood that and you mean you were using the hotel regularly, not the facilities. I'm very sorry for the nitpicking, I don't mean to sound condescending. But anyway, here we go, the German translation would be:
    ''Die Freizeiteinrichtungen in diesem Hotel waren fantastisch, also benutzte ich sie regelmäßig''

ReputationRep:
    TheMasterofLife please make sure you use the updated version of also-benutzte-ich!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spaces)
    The closest you could come to the first one is probably ''Es schmeckte himmlisch'' or ''Sie schmeckten himmlisch'', the ''Sie'' referring to the crisps (''Die Chips'', plural).

As for the second sentence, which ought to be
    "The leisure facilities in that hotel were amazing, so I used them regularly'' in English, unless I misunderstood that and you mean you were using the hotel regularly, not the facilities. I'm very sorry for the nitpicking, I don't mean to sound condescending. But anyway, here we go, the German translation would be:
    ''Die Freizeiteinrichtungen in diesem Hotel waren fantastisch, also benutzte ich sie regelmäßig''
    I can't believe I forgot to put war in plural -facepalm-. And yes you are correct, he should have used ''them'' if he was referring to the leisure facilities, not it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe I forgot to put war in plural -facepalm-. And yes you are correct, he should have used ''them'' if he was referring to the leisure facilities, not it.
    Thanks guys! You are all so good at German! What do you study? GCSE? A-Level? But yeah, thanks.

BTW, I looked up 'es schmeckt wie Himmel' - and it was used in a News article about the Durian fruit, so does that mean it would still work?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! You are all so good at German! What do you study? GCSE? A-Level? But yeah, thanks.

BTW, I looked up 'es schmeckt wie Himmel' - and it was used in a News article about the Durian fruit, so does that mean it would still work?
    I study AS Level

And I'm not sure, I just did the same search myself and that's the only proper result I could see for it, I would go for what spaces has advised instead.

ReputationRep:
    Ha, I don't study German, I am German

And that news article uses it as a simile, but it isn't a regular figur of speech. It's not technically incorrect, but it does sound a bit weird.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (...)
    (you might also need to double check my use of ''also'' as I genuinely hate that word and refuse to use it 99% of the time because it confuses me).
    There is not a one-to-one-translation for that. 'It tasted like heaven' seems really to be an English phrase only (although I have never heard?!). In reference to a bag of crisps, I would rather say that it's delicious ("Es ist köstlich"), if I like the taste of the crisps so much. There was a commercial slogan in German indeed where the taste of a spread - if I am not mistaken - was described as 'himmlisch'. But as a rule, Germans don't say 'himmlisch' as such, so in terms of a phrase. But when they are making comparisons, 'himmlisch' can be used as one of a lot of them.

By the way, sorry for giving a late answer, I still have no internet connection in my flat.

ReputationRep:
    if anybody could give me some help with my german i will really apprecitate it just send me a private message if you can

ReputationRep:
    Hello

You could just say 'Es schmeckte wie das Paradies'
    for the first phrase
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by aadin_)
    You could just say 'Es schmeckte wie das Paradies'
    for the first phrase
    It would be better, if you would use an adjective instead, like 'himmlisch'.

Example: 'Es hatte einen himmlischen Geschmack' or ' Es schmeckte (einfach) himmlisch'.

Germans don't now how the paradies taste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    It would be better, if you would use an adjective instead, like 'himmlisch'.

Example: 'Es hatte einen himmlischen Geschmack' or ' Es schmeckte (einfach) himmlisch'.

Germans don't now how the paradies taste.
    Maybe that's another option you could use
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by aadin_)
    Maybe that's another option you could use
    Rather no. No one has ever taste the Paradies, so no one can judge how the paradies tastes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.