Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 39
Size:  22.1 KB

Hey guys,
    I need some advice as I want to buy a pair of hiking boots.
    First of all can women wear 'mens' hiking boots, what is the difference?
    The ones i want are 'Verbera Hiker II Goretex Boots' i am a size 8 1/2 to 9.
    Is there anything else that needs to be considered?

Regards
    RickmanAlways

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy but my last few pairs of boots have been womens' because I'm a size 6. The difference is visuals and size range, nothing that actually matters.

You're probably best googling it or finding a proper hiking forum for advice on specific boots as I doubt there'll be enough people here who have tried those specific boots. I had a pair of North Face that I got in a discount place and they lasted me for years so my general impression of them is positive but I'm far from a proper hiker, most of the time they were just my wet weather shoes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RickmanAlways)
    First of all can women wear 'mens' hiking boots, what is the difference?
    Mens boots tend to fit slightly wider in general.

If you have wide feet a men's boot might fit slightly better.

The ones i want are 'Verbera Hiker II Goretex Boots' i am a size 8 1/2 to 9.
    Is there anything else that needs to be considered?
    You're best off trying a range of different boots and size fittings - aesthetics is one of the worst criteria for choosing a suitable hiking boot! I love the look of Asolos but I have never been able to find a pair that fit me properly or are comfortable.

Other things to think about:
    1) Weight - 500g on your feet equates to carrying an extra 2.5kg on your back. It might not sound much but you will notice the difference with a lighter boot after a day in the mountains.
    2) Waterproofing - the waterproof treatment and membranes of boots (Goretex and HyVent included) can be incredibly unreliable and pretty much all of them compromise breathability to some degree. If you're going to be out in bad weather I'd recommend a decent pair of waterproof socks (I've always used SealSkinz) for the bottom of your pack.

---

FYI - I have a very similar pair of TNF boots, possibly just an older model. They are a lovely boot BUT they are very heavy and the sole is not particularly supple. With the benefit of hindsight I would choose a lighter boot.

I currently wear Merrell Moabs most of the time - lighter, faster and more comfortable for the majority of trails.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.