Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm transferring university but my only option was to resit first year as I'm doing a different course (no need to get into the details as to why I'm doing this). The reason I'm still staying though is down to a contract with my accommodation that I can't get out of so I need to stay to get my maintenance loan to pay the contract.

Nonetheless I got pretty good grades for my first semester and I've been fully accepted and confirmed into my next uni. A couple of lecturers asked me why I bother coming into my classes as I could fail every module in my 2nd semester and it wont make a difference come September as I'll be starting fresh. Is this true?

At the moment I'm going into all but 1 module, but not to do assignments I'm only going in to better myself by learning what I can while I'm still here to better my portfolio and personal skills.

I'm just wondering whether this is the best thing for me to do? Will failing these modules affect me at all next year? Is what my lecturers telling me true? I'm curious as I don't know whether to stress about my assignments and get them done, or to just continue with trying to better my skills without stressing about assignments and exams?

ReputationRep:
    If you are doing a different course to the one you are currently on and your offer is not dependant on grades achieved during this academic year then I can't see why it will matter whether you fail or not. Your lecturers are likely correct however make sure to double check before doing anything like fail exams etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    If you are doing a different course to the one you are currently on and your offer is not dependant on grades achieved during this academic year then I can't see why it will matter whether you fail or not. Your lecturers are likely correct however make sure to double check before doing anything like fail exams etc.
    The only condition I had was to get a good academic reference which I provided a few weeks ago and my place has been fully confirmed now, still worth checking or is that confirmation enough that it shouldn't matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.MCK)
    The only condition I had was to get a good academic reference which I provided a few weeks ago and my place has been fully confirmed now, still worth checking or is that confirmation enough that it shouldn't matter?
    Sounds to me like your grades this year won't matter but if it were me I'd still double check.... but I would ask in a tactful way i.e "Will any grades from this academic year affect my transfer to the new course" rather than "if I fail my exams can I still start the new course"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    Sounds to me like your grades this year won't matter but if it were me I'd still double check.... but I would ask in a tactful way i.e "Will any grades from this academic year affect my transfer to the new course" rather than "if I fail my exams can I still start the new course"
    Hmm I may have to think about the best way to word that, although thanks very much for the advice I appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    I suppose an alternative view is that you're paying tuition fees, so you have every right to attend lectures even if you're going to leave. It might give you useful background info which would help at your next uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I suppose an alternative view is that you're paying tuition fees, so you have every right to attend lectures even if you're going to leave. It might give you useful background info which would help at your next uni.
    That's basically the reason I'm still going into my lectures, just wondering whether I should bother stressing about exams or not really. Leaning more towards give it a try but if I don't get a good grade oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.MCK)
    That's basically the reason I'm still going into my lectures, just wondering whether I should bother stressing about exams or not really. Leaning more towards give it a try but if I don't get a good grade oh well.
    You never know - having the stress off might actually help take the heat out of exams. It'd be good to have something on your CV for the academic year, if nothing else.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.