Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm an introvert, I'm really struggling to talk to people. I feel abnormally anxious when meeting new people or just interacting in general, that you can kind of tell I'm socially awkward. I start to get really flushed and nervous even with the most basic of interactions, I always feel like people are watching me.

This has now become so bad that I feel like any chances or opportunities in my life will just get ruined. This is on my mind 24 hours and it is affecting me lifestyle so much and has made me leave work, lose friends and and doubt myself so much.

I have tried 'faking it til I make it' so many times and yes it does work but only for a good day or too before it all hits me again and I get depressed and back into my usual negative routine.

I cannot surround myself with positive people right now because I've lost that opportunity to meet new people. I will have to wait til September to make new friends and etc.

But I really so badly just need any reassuring advice from anyone who has suffered from social anxiety and overcome it. I need to overcome it so badly, I see my life without it and I would be so much more comfortable, but right now I feel like theirs really no point in my life. So I'm just asking if anyone out their can give me their story???? And how they managed it and overcame it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm an introvert, I'm really struggling to talk to people. I feel abnormally anxious when meeting new people or just interacting in general, that you can kind of tell I'm socially awkward. I start to get really flushed and nervous even with the most basic of interactions, I always feel like people are watching me.

This has now become so bad that I feel like any chances or opportunities in my life will just get ruined. This is on my mind 24 hours and it is affecting me lifestyle so much and has made me leave work, lose friends and and doubt myself so much.

I have tried 'faking it til I make it' so many times and yes it does work but only for a good day or too before it all hits me again and I get depressed and back into my usual negative routine.

I cannot surround myself with positive people right now because I've lost that opportunity to meet new people. I will have to wait til September to make new friends and etc.

But I really so badly just need any reassuring advice from anyone who has suffered from social anxiety and overcome it. I need to overcome it so badly, I see my life without it and I would be so much more comfortable, but right now I feel like theirs really no point in my life. So I'm just asking if anyone out their can give me their story???? And how they managed it and overcame it??
    Well I was a shy kid all through primary school (I kid you not- I wouldn't talk to anyone but the two friends I had) and I guess the first time I decided to change was starting secondary school. It helped that the environment was totally new and no one knew me so I started telling myself that people aren't going to laugh, or judge me for my words. I wanted to make friends and enjoy my time so somehow I got the courage to actually start speaking up. Bearing in mind, I did get better but I wasn't a completely social person- I would still prefer staying at home to going out.

As the year moved on, I found it easier and easier to talk to new people. Its hard initiating a conversation with a person but seriously just starting with 'hi my name is.....' can seriously help! Just remember, that most of the time, the people who you are talking too also want to make friends, interact with people.

What helped was, not to immediately start talking but smile at people from time to time, then maybe introduce yourself etc..

I'm still not as confident as I would like to be but I know I a getting better, this stuff takes time and effort so you kinda have to force yourself to get across the first hurdle

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.