Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was told yesterday that even though Higher English is not a specified entry requirement for Physics, it is still expected and I'd be unlikely to get an offer without it. I want to study at either Glasgow Uni or Strathclyde and I am currently doing 5 Highers at college but those are Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History. I only have a standard grade 3 for English so my college would be reluctant to let me sit Higher. I was planning on applying for Uni 2017/2018 but I'm panicking now in case I need Higher English.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm sorry for the long post, I'm new to The Student Room.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanH1996)
    I was told yesterday that even though Higher English is not a specified entry requirement for Physics, it is still expected and I'd be unlikely to get an offer without it. I want to study at either Glasgow Uni or Strathclyde and I am currently doing 5 Highers at college but those are Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History. I only have a standard grade 3 for English so my college would be reluctant to let me sit Higher. I was planning on applying for Uni 2017/2018 but I'm panicking now in case I need Higher English.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm sorry for the long post, I'm new to The Student Room.

Thanks
    Hi there. No. I 100% promise you that you don't need higher English. I don't have it anyway (I have Nat 5 though). I only have 4 Highers !!!! So you have more to offer than me !!!!
    Im doing Maths & Physics starting in September. I currently have 2 unconditionals. I have one from Aberdeen, and one from one of your faves........Strathclyde !!!
    Good luck. I'm sure you will hear soon
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by DeanH1996)

Thanks
    It tells you on university websites what the entry requirements and subjects are. If in doubt then your best bet would be to email an admissions tutor or someone else responsible at the university for clarification, although I would be very surprised if higher English was a requirement for a science degree such as physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by egg face)
    Hi there. No. I 100% promise you that you don't need higher English. I don't have it anyway (I have Nat 5 though). I only have 4 Highers !!!! So you have more to offer than me !!!!
    Im doing Maths & Physics starting in September. I currently have 2 unconditionals. I have one from Aberdeen, and one from one of your faves........Strathclyde !!!
    Good luck. I'm sure you will hear soon
    Thanks for getting back to me, I have been stressed to the max over this so knowing that you've gotten 2 unconditionals without Higher English is really reassuring. Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely not a requirement. Only subjects that are will be maths and physics. I know a decent number of people (including myself) who either didn't do it or got a D at best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.