Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So me and my boyfriend met through tinder. We spoke on the phone before we met like every night for two months leading up to meeting due to being far away from one another for periods of 2-3 hours.

A week before we met up my boyfriend told me he that he had just a while back, because I had talked about how much I hate tattoos. He said it was a memory of his mum who died, and assured me that he did not want anymore. Obviously I was like cool

Six months after we and went on a date (even though we already knew each other inside and out) we are still together. We are really close. Last month my so told me he wanted to get a few more. This has greatly upset me because I HATE tattoos; I think they look REALLY tacky. I'm not attracted to guys with tattoos one bit.

So in the last month he's got instagram obsessed looking at tattoos. He acting quite childish about it counting his followers etc and has suddenly decided he wants to be 'instagram famous'. We are 22... He said to me last night he plans on getting covered in them and a neck piercing. What do I do?? I'm reasonable and can do with a couple more but all over him

ReputationRep:
    If he wants to get tattoos you can't stop him, it's his body. However you can't choose what you're attracted to and if you're not attracted to him after he gets tattoos, you're under no obligation to stay with him. It seems as if he lied when he first got to know you so as not to turn you off.

Have a serious conversation with him about how you're not attracted to tattoos. If he chooses to proceed that's his choice, but you need to think about the fact that that will show he doesn't care about whether or not you're attracted to him.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    If he wants to get tattoos you can't stop him, it's his body. However you can't choose what you're attracted to and if you're not attracted to him after he gets tattoos, you're under no obligation to stay with him. It seems as if he lied when he first got to know you so as not to turn you off.

Have a serious conversation with him about how you're not attracted to tattoos. If he chooses to proceed that's his choice, but you need to think about the fact that that will show he doesn't care about whether or not you're attracted to him.
    Took the words out of my head…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)

He may have not necessarily lied, but simply changed his mind (happens). Personally I used to hate tattoos but, now want one.

Fully agree with everything else though. All you can do is let him know how you feel about it, and see what he does with the information.

ReputationRep:
    remember, it is his body, youre both 22 and he isnt a child and youre not his parent, if he wants them then let him!! if you really are attracted to him as much as you claim, then appearance shouldnt mean everything by this stage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    remember, it is his body, youre both 22 and he isnt a child and youre not his parent, if he wants them then let him!! if you really are attracted to him as much as you claim, then appearance shouldnt mean everything by this stage?
    People are physically attracted to others because of their appearance. Other types of attraction (such as emotional) may stem from personality, but physical attraction is purely that - physical. She's said that tattoos are a massive turn off for her; that's not something she can change. Of course he can get tattoos if he wants but she's under no obligation to like them or to stay with someone she's not attracted to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisemurs)
    So me and my boyfriend met through tinder. We spoke on the phone before we met like every night for two months leading up to meeting due to being far away from one another for periods of 2-3 hours.

A week before we met up my boyfriend told me he that he had just a while back, because I had talked about how much I hate tattoos. He said it was a memory of his mum who died, and assured me that he did not want anymore. Obviously I was like cool

Six months after we and went on a date (even though we already knew each other inside and out) we are still together. We are really close. Last month my so told me he wanted to get a few more. This has greatly upset me because I HATE tattoos; I think they look REALLY tacky. I'm not attracted to guys with tattoos one bit.

So in the last month he's got instagram obsessed looking at tattoos. He acting quite childish about it counting his followers etc and has suddenly decided he wants to be 'instagram famous'. We are 22... He said to me last night he plans on getting covered in them and a neck piercing. What do I do?? I'm reasonable and can do with a couple more but all over him
    Drop him like hot coal or STFU. Either one will do.

ReputationRep:
    So what if he is into tattoos. What if you was madly obsessed with something and he had a problem with it, you wouldnt like it. Its just something he likes. You shouldnt have a problem with it. I understand that tattoos can be all over the place but god if he likes it let him be. You sound pretty close to the guy and dont ruin it because you dont like tattoos. If you say you really hate him getting them, you might upset him.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.