Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leap Day - Four Years Ago, Four Years From Now Watch

ReputationRep:
    Four years ago: I was in year 9, probably had chosen my options and I was incredibly passionate about and aspiring towards a career in textile design.

Four years from now: Well, I'll be 21? Which sounds majorly scary bc I'll be, like, a proper adult.. >.> Hopefully I'll be almost at the end of a chemistry related degree which I thoroughly adore but most importantly, I also hope that I'd have... grown up + managed to evolve into a character who my parents + younger me would be proud of.

Four Years Ago: I was sixteen. Having had to leave school early, I didn't have any GCSEs and had abandoned all hopes of ever going to university. I was living in a house I really didn't feel happy or safe in, but at the same time, saw no way out of. My mental health was in a really bad place.

Four Years From Now: I'll be twenty four. I'll have hopefully graduated from university the year before, depending on whether I took a year abroad or not. My mental health will hopefully still be in the place it's at now, if not better. I'll hopefully have gotten to the place where I can stop letting my past affect my present. I'm wondering if TSR will still be a part of my life - I hope some of the people still are.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Wow. I think I tend to forget how far I've come until I see it written down like that - at sixteen, I never could have imagined I'd be where I am right now. I didn't think it'd be possible to get to this place, yet here I am. I think that just goes to show that your perception of the future is often skewed - even when you don't think it'll get better, it will. One day, you'll be looking back on when you thought there was no hope and wishing you could tell that version of you everything you managed to achieve.

... okay, I'm getting more than a little emotional. I need to stop. Amazing thread idea - probably one of the best I've seen on TSR. Thanks for making it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Today is leap day :awesome:

So I thought I'd try out a little game

How were you like four years ago today?

What will it be like for you four years from now?

For me:

Four years ago: I was becoming increasingly depressed in school because I didn't feel like I was fitting in and couldn't connect with many of my friends. I also had many insecurities and my natural tendency to want to do well in exams didn't help because I was only enforcing my 'nerd' image for an upcoming maths exam
    I started to get interested in old Hollywood actors and actresses at that time too, they were (and Audrey still is) a source of inspiration and a way to forget about everything that made me sad

Four years from now: I'll hopefully have graduated (with a first!) from my first choice uni, perhaps with a PhD scholarship to start in the autumn. Who really knows though - I could have sold my virginity or something and be living as an upper class prostitute. I could be made to marry someone by my parents...

Post your own past and future below!
    four years ago - i was a lost cause, but teachers knew i was a bit clever. still have the habits even 4 years after...e.g(do no hw give no fk about skl test) watched and played a few sports. had a great time of my life with good memories

four years from now on - i will have graduated at my first choice with a first and i would have been working an an actuarial firm as a trainee actuary. and wouldve have a nice merc
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Four years ago: last year of GCSEs, no idea of where life was headed.

Four years in the future... Hopefully have a job and maybe another relationship somewhere. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Four years ago: I was in year 10. Wasn't really taking any of my subjects seriously except Japanese, which I had just started teaching myself.

Four years from now: I'll be in my final year at Oxford, and will hopefully be graduating with a first in Japanese studies
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    4 years ago I was in Year 8, I think I should have relaxed a little with schoolwork and have some fun too. I was really into reading books back then, still do love them but don't find the time for it anymore. :sad:

4 years from now will hopefully be in placement year (hoping to do a sandwich course) in something in biological/biomedical science/healthcare and enjoying it. Hoping to have gone/or soon to go to Italy too, possibly travelled to some more places and just generally have adventures. :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Precious Illusions)
    What about in 4 years tho. Maybe you'll have won clubber of the year or smth by then
    I don't think I'm chaotic or erotic enough tho

ReputationRep:
    nice idea

ermm....

4 years ago I would be about to start year 9. Which was the worst year of my life, upto the point of near exclusion from school itself

4 years from now I would see myself settled into a good university studying something along the lines of chemical engineering and hopefully in a relationship

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I will have my PGCE (Should have by the end of not the year coming but the one after) and hopefully a boyfriend... trying but failing in that aspect. =(

Hopefully my own house too if I can manage a bursary because the subjects I want to teach can warrant a £20k-£25k bursary which I will put towards a house, although, I wouldn't mind spoiling myself with around £4k. =D

A nice gaming PC (Well, a VERY nice one) and some other things I have in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Past - Slave to the wage

Future - Slave to the wage

Nothing much really changes once you start working full time

ReputationRep:
    4 years ago: Had just started my undergrad degree and was struggling to pass (an engineering degree with no physics), avid gamer.

Now - Running a tuition center alongside working in a management role to make the monies for my MSc, still playing tonnes of games (i've accepted cod into my heart).

4 years from now: Hope to have been working in IB (hopefully as a member of an energy based team) for 3 years, married with a son and have enough contacts in the industry to start planning for my own consultancy in upstream finance. Still gaming.

ReputationRep:
    4 years ago, I was still under the impression that I was going to do medicine and I wasn't very happy with my life

in 4 years time, I will be graduating with a degree in history from kings (hopefully) and I will have got a first (also hopefully), then ill be leaving to go to sandhurst and hopefully pass out.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a few hours too late, but I was thinking about four years ago not too long ago.

4 years back - I'd just left my husband and moved back to my parents house. I spent far too much time watching crap TV, eating ice cream and was working part time in a taxi office. In the next six weeks I'd have been picking myself back up off the floor and starting my own business.

Now - Working so hard on my access course and level 3 NVQ in health and social care. Still recovering from losing one of my best friends unexpectedly after a battle with cancer. Just had a second place at uni offered to me, so difficult decisions to come. Love my life at the moment, but looking forward to exciting new adventures.

4 years forward - I'll hopefully have been working as a mental health nurse for about 8 months, would like to have got some savings behind me again and be loving it as much as I love my life right now.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    How were you like four years ago today?

What will it be like for you four years from now?
    Great question!

Four years ago today I was in the last week of my last job and just about to start at The Student Room on the 7th March! :bumps:
    In four years time, as a hobby I would like to be mid way through a garden design degree with some good practice under my belt.

ReputationRep:
    4 years ago i didn't care about school really, and only realised i wanted to become a doctor. I also started learning English properly (outside school).
    Who would've thought i'd be in England now, with an offer for medicine
    4 years from now i'll be at uni, fourth year, it will probably be the start of the clinical years for me if i choose to do an iBSc, that should be fun! I can't wait :3
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    29th February 2012 - I was 12 years old, in year 7. I had just started to experiment with makeup so probably looked a mess, had a very small circle of friends but was quite happy with my little 4'10" self

29th February 2016 - I'm 16 years old, scared stiff for my exams which are in 2 and a half months, have an even smaller circle of friends but generally quite happy with my life (and I'm now 5'3" )

29th February 2020 - I will be 20 years old, hopefully in my second year of studying maths at university (don't know which though ) hopefully a bit taller and with a much better level of fitness (doubt it though) and generally happier!

ReputationRep:
    29th February 2012 - I was 15 years old, in 4th year. I was in the middle of my Intermediate 2 exams and was stressed out over Physics.

29th February 2016 - I am 19 years old, currently in my 2nd year of law school and enjoying life (although law school is still stressful !) I have lots of work due in for next week so I have been working (and worrying) constantly so that I can get my work completed on time.

29th February 2020 - I will be 23 years old, graduated from Law School, and hopefully studying medicine.

ReputationRep:
    4 years ago... no idea what I was doing...

4 years from now... hopefully doing economics at a reputable uni
    Spoiler:
    Show
    LSE pls
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    4 years ago, I was in my first year of my first degree, worried about what was going to happen and my mental health wasn't too great :erm: I also had started jitsu which I didn't know would be a big part of my life at the time

Today, I'm now in grad school doing a subject I really love, really into my jitsu (I got silver for a fight I won this weekend :woo: ) and finding my way through life I guess

4 years from now, I would have finally graduated the second time, and doing a postdoc somewhere in the north Although I don't like planning that far ahead

ReputationRep:
    Four years ago i was a year out of hospital, and a year in to my degree, and in four years time i hope to have graduated from my bachelor's degree and masters, and be on the final year in my undergraduate programme?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.